Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelmed View Post
Accepted the job and out there this weekend to look at a selection of homes. Really leaning to pinecrest/palmetto areas prior to the trip out. I've found other threads in the past with people in similar situations (someone from Jersey was the last one) but they never followed up on what happened which is too bad. Will update with where we buy when we make the decision.

Getting excited now. The package that came with the offer was 15% bigger than I expected... so not sure if that means I should buy 15% more house then :-) (i.e. $1-1.1m).
Congratulations, and please keep us updated on what you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 09:46 PM

27 posts, read 28,172 times
So figured I'd check back in to finish up the story. Found our dream home near The Falls. We had a ton of drama in selling our home in the Bay area - multiple buyers backed out last minute nervous about it being at the top of the bubble. Had to take less than we should have due to timelines. Caused all sorts of issues on the buy side, the mortgage side, and timing of moving in. We actually spent a month living in a hotel beside the Dolphin mall called Homewood suites. One of the best hotel experiences I have had, so I'll put a plug out to them. The staff was superb, the food excellent, and the building which was just opened the month prior was impeccable. The house finally closed, after an extension of the closing date - thank god the sellers were a dream to work with too. We've now been at our place for just over a month now and are loving the area and the house more than I could ever have expected.

Kids have been in a nearby nursery/vpk the entire time (we just had a longer drive there before we moved down) which encourages Spanish and English and already they are starting to learn some Spanish. They know more than me and have a native miami sounding tongue which is really cute esp coming out of my little towheaded daughter (think children of the corn type white hair with crazy blue eyes). Work is stressful, but nothing that wasn't expected. Really loving the Miami area, people are much more friendly than we anticipated. For all the freak outs we had, it seems like it will be a great place to raise the family. Having a stunning house doesn't hurt either. Would link to it if I wasn't a privacy freak :-)

Thanks all to listening to my rants. Also, to those concerned about living in this area - anything in that green color on that map is great. No reason to put yourself through a hellish commute. My boss has a 50-80 minute commute now that school is back in session. That wouldn't fly for me. I'm happy with my 23-27 minute commute. Now, time to start learning Spanish on my drive! I'm thinking of it as an opportunity rather than a challenge. Gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami