Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:02 AM

27 posts, read 28,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Currently negotiating a relo job offer for a role in Miami near the executive airport. I'll be relocating from the Bay Area where I've had a lot of recent gains in equity due to the red hot housing market. That means I've got the down payment and salary available to go as high as $1m for a house but really don't want too and typically have lived the more laid back lifestyle and never have cared to keep up with the Jones's. I'm Caucasian, have 3 kids, and don't speak any Spanish so want to be in a neighborhood where I wouldn't be considered an outsider for the lack of language skills. I plan to take lessons in Spanish but that will take time before I would feel comfortable living in an area where that would be required to fit in.

I'd ideally like to get into a place in the <$800k mark with good schools and based on redfin / city data maps have narrowed it down to Weston (or maybe Cooper City) and Pinecrest. House would have to be 4 or 5 bedroom, 2500+ sqft, and have a pool and decent yard space. Doesn't need to be a McMansion or have stainless everything with marble floors though I also wouldn't turn my nose up at that if it were available in a good school district at the right price. Pinecrest gets a lot less pretty of a house, but the basics are still there for $800k with the requirement for some updating or even deferred maintenance repair.

Hoping to have some help to maximize any time I spend during the siting tour. I've been told the traffic is a lot lighter than in the valley and the drive from Weston would be 45 minutes (even though it's 30-35 miles). In the bay that would be 1-1.5 hours easy each way and would love to have confirmation of that. Kids will be going to public school so want a elementary with >8 on greatschools as well.

So, any other areas I should check out apart from Weston / Cooper City / Pinecrest in the $800k mark with those specs? Am I in the right price area or should I up my limit further or are there areas that are just as good but a lot cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:22 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
If you are spending $800k, you should definitely expect a higher end finished house. You can find houses in this range in Cooper City, but less so than in Weston. You will get more house for your money in Cooper City than Weston, though Monterra (Cooper City) isn't exactly a bargain.

Considering your budget, I'd suggest west Davie. As it's loaded with houses in the $800k range. Sits between Weston and Cooper City and has comparable schools. Plus very nice gated neighborhoods. Posted a map below.

Cooper City and Davie will be less Spanish speaking than Weston, though I don't think it's quite the issue you think it is. Depending on where in west Davie, you are closer to the things in Weston than most people in Weston, too. The specific neighborhoods I would look at in Davie are Highland Ranch Estates, Riverstone, and Imagination Farms. It seems right up your alley based on what you are saying.

If you really don't care about higher end homes, then you should consider looking in the sub $500k range. Why waste the money? But definitely look at both. In Cooper City, you may like Rock Creek or Embassy Lakes. This will be much cheaper than $800k.

Weston has loads of options and we have a few Weston experts who can chime in on those.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,183,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whelmed View Post
Hi all,

Currently negotiating a relo job offer for a role in Miami near the executive airport ...

... have 3 kids ... good schools ... ... public school so want a elementary with >8 on greatschools as well ... have narrowed it down to Weston (or maybe Cooper City) and Pinecrest ...

I'd ideally like to get into a place in the <$800k mark with house would have to be 4 or 5 bedroom, 2500+ sqft, and have a pool and decent yard space.

and don't speak any Spanish so want to be in a neighborhood where I wouldn't be considered an outsider for the lack of language skills. I plan to take lessons in Spanish ...

If the priority is kids and district public schools throughout their school years (k-12), than Weston is probably your best bet, maybe Cooper City if the language thing really bothers you, but it probably shouldn't be an issue in any of the areas that you are talking about.

Pinecrest has two highly rated district public elementary schools (k-5), but beyond that it becomes sketchy. Also, $800k is more or less entry level in Pinecrest, old and probably in need of work, while, as mentioned, in Weston or Cooper City that price buys relatively new and probably move-in shape.

The "good life" in Pinecrest is a house worth around $1.2M+ and private school.

But the commute would be a breeze and there are worthwhile magnet public schools in the area, but no guarantee of placement.

How long do you plan to remain in the region? If not beyond your kids' elementary school years (k-5), then Pinecrest might be worth a shot.

Either way, what's the hurry to buy?

If you plan on staying fewer than five years, then it is a risk to buy, but you would probably break even or lose on transaction costs. If longer or "permanent", then there are long-term considerations. In that regard, Pinecrest may have more advantages than Weston or Cooper City - that's why it's more expensive -, but maybe not depending on your and your families' goals, skill-sets and ambitions.

Last edited by bale002; 05-30-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM

3,141 posts, read 3,092,081 times
Would you be commuting during peak times? (7-9 am/5-7 pm). That drive appears to be 45 minutes in best conditions from Weston. You may be looking at a longer commute depending on when you need to get to work.

You do not need to know Spanish to live in Weston. I liken it to the United Nations of Broward County--about half are Hispanic (I've seen it change from mostly Cubans to now mostly South Americans) and the other half are from other parts of the US, Europe and Asia. Despite such mixed demographics, what ties it all together is money--household income in Weston ranks it high enough to be considered solidly upper-middle/upper class. With it's carefully planned, well-manicured look and highly rated public schools, it is a popular area.

You should be able to find a home on around 1/4 of an acre with a pool in your price range--you should be able to get a new-ish kitchen--might not have upgraded flooring (too much white builder's tile and carpeting). There's some debate about the merits of Cypress Bay HS versus Western HS-- if that has you concerned, you'll want to omit the Bonaventure area of Weston from your search. The city has at least a dozen or so different developments -- most gated so you won't be able to see much of the homes without a realtor. In each development you generally have a section of more modest homes which are large but on generally smaller lots (which could start anywhere from the $300's to high $400's) then a tier of larger homes on larger lots (range from half-million to about $600/$700k) and then a section with the largest homes, largest lots--$600k to s million or more, again, depending on the development. So you have a great housing budget to work with.

Good luck and welcome to South Florida!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. Just to answer the few questions then a few more:

1) Why the hurry to buy: Company is paying all transaction costs to close my house and open up a mortgage on a new one. It's a 'gold plated' relo. Catch is that the transactions have to be completed within 6 months of signing the contract and it can take some time to get into contract on the right place.
2) Duration: 2 years absolute minimum or I pay back everything, more likely 5 years.
3) Why buy vs rent: My wife is not super pleased about the thought of renting after owning, and also not super pleased about moving to Miami though she's never been there so I'm hoping to surprise with it being better than her expectations. Also with the company paying all costs I shouldn't loose anything in the transaction (see #1).
4) Kids are aged 0, 2, and 4, so it's the elementary schools that I'm after for now. Public all the way, private is such a waste of money imho.
5) Why the money for non premium house: we want a premium neighborhood. House is far less important. Location, location, location and I'm willing to pay for that.
6) Re language, it doesn't really bother me, but having working in Europe for a few years I know how much of an outsider you can feel like if you don't get the jokes in the native language. Even if you know the language, understanding humor takes a long time and being comfortable with the language and it makes getting friend groups difficult, especially for a stay at home mom.

So a few more questions:
- Commute time is important to me. Will probably have 10 hour days at least for the first 3-6 months so if I'm tacking on 1 hour each way that's killer. Really wanted to keep commute time to 30 minutes but in a pinch 45 minutes would be doable if it really made a difference for the family. Anyone able to estimate from experience how long from Weston to the executive airport in rush hour?
- are there any dangerous areas in either Weston / Cooper City / Davie?
- any hints for selling a relo to my wife (i.e. ways to make it easier for her)? The last one was easy, moving to NorCal was a real selling point because of all the amenities and things to do with families.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Could you confirm which airport in Miami you need to be near? There is Tamiami (Miami Executive) and Miami Opa-Locka Executive.

The Cooper City / Weston / west Davie area is about as good as it gets for families, I think. Lots of parks, events, even a water park. You also have Young At Art - which your kids will love to death. You don't need to worry too much about best/safest neighborhood/location. They are all around each other and miles of outstanding areas. The areas I told you about in west Davie - there is nothing bad anywhere near them. Weston is just about all nice, and Cooper City - the areas you would be looking, are all nice. Cooper City is the lowest priced of all but even the $300k - $400k neighborhoods are super family oriented and safe. In essence, these are the areas people with young families want to be, without a doubt. You will be happy with all of them. Don't feel like you need to spend $800k to get a safe neighborhood. You could spend less than $500k in Cooper City and be in an outstanding school district, super safe gated neighborhood, tons of family stuff, etc. Just something to consider.

The 3 neighborhoods I mentioned in Davie, the kids go to an elementary school in Weston, by the way.

It's super suburban, but I think your wife will love it. Lots of access to shopping, things for children to do, tons of great restaurants, movie theaters, etc. etc. It's just really an outstanding place to be.

Last edited by BNBR; 05-30-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Would you be commuting during peak times? (7-9 am/5-7 pm). That drive appears to be 45 minutes in best conditions from Weston. You may be looking at a longer commute depending on when you need to get to work.

You do not need to know Spanish to live in Weston. I liken it to the United Nations of Broward County--about half are Hispanic (I've seen it change from mostly Cubans to now mostly South Americans) and the other half are from other parts of the US, Europe and Asia. Despite such mixed demographics, what ties it all together is money--household income in Weston ranks it high enough to be considered solidly upper-middle/upper class. With it's carefully planned, well-manicured look and highly rated public schools, it is a popular area.

You should be able to find a home on around 1/4 of an acre with a pool in your price range--you should be able to get a new-ish kitchen--might not have upgraded flooring (too much white builder's tile and carpeting). There's some debate about the merits of Cypress Bay HS versus Western HS-- if that has you concerned, you'll want to omit the Bonaventure area of Weston from your search. The city has at least a dozen or so different developments -- most gated so you won't be able to see much of the homes without a realtor. In each development you generally have a section of more modest homes which are large but on generally smaller lots (which could start anywhere from the $300's to high $400's) then a tier of larger homes on larger lots (range from half-million to about $600/$700k) and then a section with the largest homes, largest lots--$600k to s million or more, again, depending on the development. So you have a great housing budget to work with.

Good luck and welcome to South Florida!
Thanks Wizrap - you got in before I hit submit (it was in another window for a while before I replied). My hours would most likely be 8am-6pm so the commute time from there is a factor based on when I would have to leave to be there for those hours. After the first few months it may wind down to 8am-5pm, but that's not guaranteed.

An aside - what $ constitutes upper-middle/upper class in Flordia? In the bay one can feel poor on 6 figures which was eye-opening to me. My house, in an good school district (9's) is a 4 bed, 2 bath 1600 sqft house with a bad roof, small lot built in the 1970's and in need of work and it'll probably sell for >$800k. I'm just happy I bought years ago when prices were sane (not quite half, but close).

Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,183,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Could you confirm which airport in Miami you need to be near? There is Tamiami (Miami Executive) and Miami Opa-Locka Executive.
It sounds like the company is doing a 1031 exchange.

I was assuming Tamiami Miami Executive.

If that's the case, and given the ages of the children and a 5-year time span, I would say give Pinecrest a shot - much better quality of life in terms of commute -, unless living in an old house (1960-1970s probably, maybe 1980s) is a deal-breaker for the wife.

If Opa-Locka, then forget Pinecrest, the commute could be a nightmare.

12800 SW 145th Ave, Miami, FL 33186 is formerly Tamiami and now Miami Executive Airport, in southwest Miami-Dade County.

You would need a home alarm system in Pinecrest, about $500-$600 per year? I have heard reports of some 6-7 home invasions per year and in-house theft with people actually sleeping in their beds, but in at least some cases because they leave backdoors open; organized groups go around testing who's vulnerable.

Not sure about Weston and Cooper City, but I believe there are many more gated communities there than in Pinecrest where they are rare.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-30-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

The Cooper City / Weston / west Davie area is about as good as it gets for families, I think. Lots of parks, events, even a water park. You also have Young At Art - which your kids will love to death. You don't need to worry too much about best/safest neighborhood/location. They are all around each other and miles of outstanding areas. The areas I told you about in west Davie - there is nothing bad anywhere near them. Weston is just about all nice, and Cooper City - the areas you would be looking, are all nice. Cooper City is the lowest priced of all but even the $300k - $400k neighborhoods are super family oriented and safe. In essence, these are the areas people with young families want to be, without a doubt. You will be happy with all of them. Don't feel like you need to spend $800k to get a safe neighborhood. You could spend less than $500k in Cooper City and be in an outstanding school district, super safe gated neighborhood, tons of family stuff, etc. Just something to consider.

The 3 neighborhoods I mentioned in Davie, the kids go to an elementary school in Weston, by the way.
The one here: 12800 SW 145th Ave, Miami, FL 33186, United States. I think that's Tamiami but not sure.

Re price targets, it may be a side effect from living in the bay...

$900k in east palo alto (once the crime capital of the US) https://www.redfin.com/CA/East-Palo-...03/home/871101
$750k tear down in walnut creek (1+ hour to SF in a good school district) https://www.redfin.com/CA/Walnut-Cre...6/home/1398952
$205k bargain in the most dangerous area in the bay: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/62...3/home/2025949

To me, <$300k is eminent risk of house invasion, so maybe not the best comparable.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 AM

That's Tamiami. It's a pretty good drive from west Broward. Your commute would be 45min - 1 hour, sometimes more. You would want to leave around 6:45AM and traffic wouldn't be that bad. Arriving around 7:30 - 7:45 would be my best guess.

If you want middle/upper - you would want to be in the $500k - $800k range. And many would consider the $800k neighborhoods like Imagination Farms upper class. You need to check out a few of these neighborhoods to get a feel for it. A 4 bedroom in Embassy Lakes (Cooper City) for $475k might be more than enough for what you are looking for. Plus it's walking distance to an outstanding elementary school, gated, parks, pool, etc.

For example: 4109 Lansing Ave, Hollywood, FL 33026 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Outstanding neighborhood. Extremely safe, manned security, tons of parks and what not. And more space than you are even asking for, plus on the lake with a pool.

When you get into the $800k - $1.2M range, you are talking very high end neighborhoods. 5 - 6 bedroom houses, 5+ baths, etc. Also talking $15k - $25k/year in property taxes when you get to that range.

Here is what you expect in the $700k - $900k range:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M69122-07656

Once you get to $1M, it's yet another class of house and even larger and more grand.

That Palo Alto house you posted, a total piece of crap beater home... that's in the $200k range here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami