Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I lived in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami for a number of years.

Fort Lauderdale is more suburban, ie everything is spread out, not much in the way of walkability. Miami is more urban, at least in the urban core. Miami definitely has a distinct look and feel to that of Fort Lauderdale. The Hispanic population is also far larger in Miami than it is in Fort Lauderdale. That isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it is just a reality. I definitely enjoyed my time living in Miami, more so than I ever did living in Fort Lauderdale.

Can you live in Fort Lauderdale and still live a Miami lifestyle? Ummm no, because you would need to live in Miami to live a Miami life style. The two are very different. You will just be a visitor on the days and times you go to Miami. Though I can't say there really is a "Miami Lifestyle" so to speak. I did get out and walk a LOT more in Miami than I ever did in Fort Lauderdale.

As much as some might want to deny it, I think Miami has far more of a Hispanic presence. I think that is one of the major differences. But it definitely isn't a bad thing. I lived in Coconut Grove and I never had any issues (though I would argue Coconut Grove has far less of a Hispanic presence/influence as compared to some other neighborhoods.). I would never live in Florida again, unless it was the last piece of land on earth. But with that said, if I HAD to live there, it would only be in Miami.

The hispanic presence has it's ups and downs. Being loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate is one of the downs. But I also appreciate some of the cultural aspects of it.

We were out on one of the spoil islands recently, by ourselves, no problem. 2 groups of Cubans pull up on boats, not big groups, but they decided to absolutely blast their music. We had no problem with neighbors, but what makes them think the entire island wants to listen to their music? He just looks over and he really thinks he is bringing the party and, gosh, why wouldn't I want to listen to obnoxious music while we were quietly relaxing on the beach? This isn't unusual, wasn't surprising, and they are well known for being highly inconsiderate of others, intentional or not.

Almost annoying as white people with their dogs.... note: stay FAR away from dog beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The hispanic presence has it's ups and downs. Being loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate is one of the downs. But I also appreciate some of the cultural aspects of it.

We were out on one of the spoil islands recently, by ourselves, no problem. 2 groups of Cubans pull up on boats, not big groups, but they decided to absolutely blast their music. We had no problem with neighbors, but what makes them think the entire island wants to listen to their music? He just looks over and he really thinks he is bringing the party and, gosh, why wouldn't I want to listen to obnoxious music while we were quietly relaxing on the beach? This isn't unusual, wasn't surprising, and they are well known for being highly inconsiderate of others, intentional or not.

Almost annoying as white people with their dogs.... note: stay FAR away from dog beaches.
I didn't get the whole "loud" thing when I was in coconut grove at all. I think people confuse street/ghetto culture with ALL Hispanics. It is a certain segment of the Hispanic population that behaves in that manner. Just as it is a certain segment of European American culture that seems to treat dogs like human beings, and they take liberties with their dogs (not cleaning up after them, walking them off leash etc).

Old 06-10-2016, 03:47 PM

72 posts, read 76,859 times
I live in Miami, but as a white American I wish I lived in FTL or one of a couple of Broward suburbs. Come to Miami for nightlife a couple of times and you will probably get it out of your system.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:51 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
People visit each of the cities, though not as a regular thing, on occasion. In my family's instance (Miamians) they would mostly go to Fort Lauderdale for hotels and beaches. Fort Lauderdale has the better airport IMO. They also get concerts that Miami doesn't get. I went up to Fort Lauderdale from Miami one year for an alt rock concert.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 PM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
In short. Miami speaks Spanish and Fort Lauderdale speaks English. You will find more diversity in Fort Lauderdale, unlike Miami which is a Cuban run city.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 PM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Miami has a VERY hispanic culture. Honestly, I think it's too much. I like my mix, but you literally feel in a different country and "out of place" unless you are Spanish. And I say this in context - if you are trying to live that lifestyle and be a part of that culture. Visiting, some nightlife, etc... it's fine. Is there a defined cultural difference? Yes. But not THAT much. Lauderdale will feel a tad more "American" than Miami, but still have plenty latin influence.

Is it too far from Ft Lauderdale? No. But recognize that Ft. Lauderdale has plenty going on. Personally, I prefer Lauderdale over Miami any day.
This is very accurate. I thought I'd never say I'd like Fort Lauderdale over Miami. I grew up in Miami and saw the awful change. I remember when Miami was more diverse and Fort Lauderdale was pretty much all White. That has changed. It's crazy how Fort Lauderdale is more like how Miami was years ago regarding culture. Definitely a better mix in Fort Lauderdale now.

Miami is only good if you want to go to events. But Fort Lauderdale has plenty to do also now. It's just gets old hearing Spanish all the time. The last three years I lived in Miami, I never went out there. I would always go to Las Olas, the Hardrock, or and different festivals in Lauderdale.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:22 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
This is very accurate. I thought I'd never say I'd like Fort Lauderdale over Miami. I grew up in Miami and saw the awful change. I remember when Miami was more diverse and Fort Lauderdale was pretty much all White. That has changed. It's crazy how Fort Lauderdale is more like how Miami was years ago regarding culture. Definitely a better mix in Fort Lauderdale now.

Miami is only good if you want to go to events. But Fort Lauderdale has plenty to do also now. It's just gets old hearing Spanish all the time. The last three years I lived in Miami, I never went out there. I would always go to Las Olas, the Hardrock, or and different festivals in Lauderdale.
What was the awful "change" you speak about? Why should hearing Spanish all the time bother you?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:25 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I am relocating to South Florida and will be living the Fort Lauderdale area. From what I understand Miami is only about a 30-45 min drive from Fort Lauderdale? With that said, how is the relationship between both cities? Is there a defined cultural difference? Also, is it possible to physically live in Fort Lauderdale and enjoy a Miami lifestyle or are the cities too far apart socially and culturally?
No it's not that different. Most people in Broward think they are special because they don't live in Miami-Dade but the culture is pretty much the same except that some neighborhoods in Miami are very hispanic and Spanish is widely spoken in those areas. Broward also tends to have more poor and working class white people, you know the typical white southernern that you will also find in Homestead here in Miami.

There is really no need to travel to Miami or Broward if you live in those counties unless you live close to the county line. Both counties have plenty of entertainment, beaches and shopping. I know both counties very well but I'm an exception not a rule. Why would someone travel several miles to another county to get the same things they can get in their own county? Like another poster said, most people only travel when there are events like concerts and games.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-12-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What was the awful "change" you speak about? Why should hearing Spanish all the time bother you?
Why should hearing Spanish all the time be a bother? What a ridiculous question. If you don't speak Spanish, is it that odd that you might be more comfortable around English speakers? Mind you, there is a very defined difference in the mannerisms and culture with the Spanish crowd. It's not for everyone, and THAT IS OK. We don't need to pretend to be tolerant and PC all the time. I don't mind SOME Spanish crowd. One of my best friends is a Mexican in Miami. I enjoy hanging around, but I wouldn't want to be around that ALL the time as my place of residence.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:35 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
I have to go to Miami once and a while. I dread it. It's like a different country. Most Hispanics in Miami speak English but don't. I would rather live in Broward any day. The few places in Miami-Dade that are livable are very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami