Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelmed View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am only going to move to an area where I can speak only English and get by most of the time. While I'm going to take language lessons, I find it very tiring to try to think in other languages and listen to native speakers who often speak too quickly for me. When I'm over with my team in China by day 4 or 5 I'm eating my dinners by myself at the Irish Pub just so that I don't have to concentrate as much on understanding but can relax and just watch a footie match on the TV and have a bit of banter with the pub owner.

The concern that I was having was more that if I choose Pinecrest that I'd still feel out of place whenever I left the area, even if I could speak basic Spanish. Can't wait to see what the areas look like in Miami, getting excited!

You can get by in these areas without speaking Spanish, easily. I never said or even implied that you couldn't (even if other posters are misrepresenting my statements). But you will come across people who don't speak English. It'll be a very, very heavy Spanish culture, everyone around you will be speaking Spanish, etc. That doesn't bother everyone, but a lot of people feel a little uncomfortable about it. Heck, a lot of Spanish speakers who speak very good (if not perfect) English tend to come to Broward. Weston is very Spanish but doesn't "feel it" as much. I know Spanish speakers who don't want to live in areas that are completely Spanish. Kind of like African Americans preferring a more mixed neighborhood and not just an African American one.

The topic is getting beat to death! You will be fine in Miami. It's a great place. But whether you want to be immersed in it is a different story. As much as these other posters try and downplay it, this is a super common discussion. The culture difference and nearly 100% Spanish speaking in certain areas exists. The areas surrounding your work are nearly completely Spanish speaking. Homestead, Tamiami, Doral, Hialeah, etc. Pinecrest is a little more mixed. Miami and Broward have a very different feel and culture. There is a saying "I only go to Dade to get paid" - which as it obviously says, you drive to Miami for work and get the heck out.

The best thing you can do, which is what you are doing, is drive the areas, experience the commute, check out the houses and schools... visit some restaurants and store... and see for yourself. You may love Miami, you may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
Quote:
What I've read on this forum in a few threads was that people who tried in broken Spanish were laughed at and I was kind of shocked at that and was wondering if it was a Miami thing.
I've been reading this forum for years and I don't recall ever reading that.

I have never seen that. If you don't speak English or Spanish people don't tend to laugh. If the person is having a problem communicating usually someone who is bilingual offers themselves as an interpreter. I usually offer to interpret unless the person has a nasty attitude. It's rare but it happens. I've seen both English and Spanish speakers make a big scene because some $8 an hour clerk didn't speak their language fluently.

The obnoxious say:
"It's Miami they should have Spanish speaking people" (and I think: go back to Cuba, Colombia or wherever you came from)
"It's America, why don't they hire people who speak English" (and I think please go back to Alabama)

Then I roll my eyes and pretend I didn't hear anything...

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-16-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 06:43 PM

683 posts, read 852,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Again, it seems some of you guys are confusing "nationalism" with "racism" - but I'm not terribly surprised, because that's the "thing" nowadays. Everybody is a racist. Don't like cuban sandwich? Racist.
I don't care either way. It just seems like people don't like to hear the truth. If you don't think Miami overall is not pretty much a Latin city with English as the second language, than I would say people are in denial. I lived there over 25 years.

People like Lusiphur crack me up because they live there a year. That is the honey moon stage. Most people who come from some where else are always in love with Miami their first year. They typically move 2 to 4 years later further up North or out the state completely. I've seen this countless times.

Such idiotic thinking that it is racist to want to hear English in an English speaking country. LOL Wow. The entitlement with the whole Spanish thing is just too bold. Let me go to Cuba and demand to hear English, let's see how that works out. smdh. You have people from other countries that speak English with no problem. They don't forget their culture by any means either. Never heard press 2 for any other language other than Spanish. Once again that entitlement.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am only going to move to an area where I can speak only English and get by most of the time. While I'm going to take language lessons, I find it very tiring to try to think in other languages and listen to native speakers who often speak too quickly for me. When I'm over with my team in China by day 4 or 5 I'm eating my dinners by myself at the Irish Pub just so that I don't have to concentrate as much on understanding but can relax and just watch a footie match on the TV and have a bit of banter with the pub owner.

The concern that I was having was more that if I choose Pinecrest that I'd still feel out of place whenever I left the area, even if I could speak basic Spanish. Can't wait to see what the areas look like in Miami, getting excited!
Your best bet is to move to Broward to avoid any language barriers. Please don't let the hype of Miami you see on TV influence your decision.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 AM

170 posts, read 189,935 times
While most people in Miami can speak English, the dominant language in everyday life is Spanish. People will not switch from speaking Spanish to speaking English just because an English-only Speaker is in their midst, so this is important to keep in mind. You will be able to conduct your life in English in Miami-Dade, however most people in Miami-Dade are more comfortable speaking Spanish and so this is the spoken language most of the time. I've lived in Northeast Dade for 30 years and worked all over Miami so I have a lot of knowledge. It's not a racist thing, it's a comfort thing with the Spanish language and Spanish expressions among Spanish speakers. That's all it is, but understandably it does cause some people to get upset hence the outmigration of anglos to Broward and other points North.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I don't care either way. It just seems like people don't like to hear the truth. If you don't think Miami overall is not pretty much a Latin city with English as the second language, than I would say people are in denial. I lived there over 25 years.

People like Lusiphur crack me up because they live there a year. That is the honey moon stage. Most people who come from some where else are always in love with Miami their first year. They typically move 2 to 4 years later further up North or out the state completely. I've seen this countless times.

Such idiotic thinking that it is racist to want to hear English in an English speaking country. LOL Wow. The entitlement with the whole Spanish thing is just too bold. Let me go to Cuba and demand to hear English, let's see how that works out. smdh. You have people from other countries that speak English with no problem. They don't forget their culture by any means either. Never heard press 2 for any other language other than Spanish. Once again that entitlement.
Your raging racism is showing. Lol. What's funny is that every month or so we get someone on City Data forums who is asking to be specifically in an area with certain ethnic makeup. "I'm looking for a community with plenty of Indians" - and these same people are noticeably silent. Remember, it's only racist if you are white, apparently.

And you are exactly right, that most non-Spanish speakers end up moving to Broward after the first year or so. These people who have been here a year have no idea. I've been here my whole life. That is the way it is. But again, not everyone feels that way. So it's important to describe it like it is and let people make their own decisions. But sugar coating and pretending this isn't a very real issue and common topic is insanity.

Last edited by BNBR; 06-17-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
While most people in Miami can speak English, the dominant language in everyday life is Spanish. People will not switch from speaking Spanish to speaking English just because an English-only Speaker is in their midst, so this is important to keep in mind. You will be able to conduct your life in English in Miami-Dade, however most people in Miami-Dade are more comfortable speaking Spanish and so this is the spoken language most of the time. I've lived in Northeast Dade for 30 years and worked all over Miami so I have a lot of knowledge. It's not a racist thing, it's a comfort thing with the Spanish language and Spanish expressions among Spanish speakers. That's all it is, but understandably it does cause some people to get upset hence the outmigration of anglos to Broward and other points North.
You have explained this sentiment very well. In a city dominated by Hispanics, one who is Hispanic would naturally feel comfortable speaking Spanish to others without thinking about it.
Somehow only English speakers in Miami feel very uncomfortable around Spanish speakers since they are overwhelmed and all of a sudden feel out of place.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Your raging racism is showing. Lol. What's funny is that every month or so we get someone on City Data forums who is asking to be specifically in an area with certain ethnic makeup. "I'm looking for a community with plenty of Indians" - and these same people are noticeably silent. Remember, it's only racist if you are white, apparently.

And you are exactly right, that most non-Spanish speakers end up moving to Broward after the first year or so. These people who have been here a year have no idea. I've been here my whole life. That is the way it is. But again, not everyone feels that way. So it's important to describe it like it is and let people make their own decisions. But sugar coating and pretending this isn't a very real issue and common topic is insanity.
Man the only thing racist about Miami are the Cubans. lol This topic is truth. But people don't like hearing that.

To the bold. On the flip side the Hispanics who don't want to speak English tend to stay in Miami. But they are not racist for not wanting to be around English Speakers? See the double standard? That entitlement. smh.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 PM

874 posts, read 899,089 times
I know a ton of people born and raised in Miami who don't speak Spanish, and who show no sign of moving to Broward.

That said, I do think it's a lot easier to live here, particularly in certain areas if you know Spanish.

But realistically... Pinecrest, Coral Gables, the Beach, Brickell, the Roads, Miami Springs, almost everyone is pretty bilingual.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 PM

106 posts, read 221,707 times
Quote:
The hispanic presence has it's ups and downs. Being loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate is one of the downs. But I also appreciate some of the cultural aspects of it.

We were out on one of the spoil islands recently, by ourselves, no problem. 2 groups of Cubans pull up on boats, not big groups, but they decided to absolutely blast their music. We had no problem with neighbors, but what makes them think the entire island wants to listen to their music? He just looks over and he really thinks he is bringing the party and, gosh, why wouldn't I want to listen to obnoxious music while we were quietly relaxing on the beach? This isn't unusual, wasn't surprising, and they are well known for being highly inconsiderate of others, intentional or not.

Almost annoying as white people with their dogs.... note: stay FAR away from dog beaches.
So you generalize entire nationalities AND you don't like dogs either? You sound like a lovely human being. ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami