Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,648 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our early 50's (2 kids in college) looking for a condo in order to be closer to aging parents. They are in the 5000 block of Collins Ave. However, we would prefer a more urban, walkable area to live - this would be a second home, but will eventually become permanent. I will be living in Miami the majority of the year & husband will commute in/out of MIA, eventually relocating here. We are researching Wynwood/Edgewater & Brickell. Any thoughts on these areas or other suitable neighborhoods. We will rent for a year before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 01:36 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Why not look at South Beach area, from SoFi to Venetian Islands and Sunset Harbour....walkable, driveable, and less dense than Brickell.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
I'm a big fan of both midtown and Edgewater. Some of the older condos in Edgewater are actually a pretty good deal, and will be easy to commute to the airport.

Mid-beach may be another good area, less hectic than Sobe, but still very livable.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
50th and Collins is not very walkable at all. The closest thing would be the ocean front of North Beach and Surfside--both of which are quite walkable. Collins Ave. in the 20's is another alternative that's walkable to the main areas of South Beach (10-30 min walk down the beach walk) but mostly outside of the madness. Assuming you want to be at the beach often, living on the mainland is disadvantageous because of the parking situation and lack of a viable mass transit option (unless of course the parent's place has easy visitor parking).

If you did decide to be on the mainland, you'd be surprised how much of a pain it can be to drive between mid beach and Brickell or Edgewater, despite the relatively short distances. Midtown and the Upper East Side are much better in this regard, and they are fast becoming urban centers in their own right. From an investment standpoint, UES probably has the most upward potential.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 PM

What is considered Mid-beach? Is that the area where parents live now - 50th and Collins? DH and I don't really care for this particular stretch for ourselves, although great for our parents. They live in an established building and most residents are older. We have a 17 and 19 yr old so would like to be in area that they would enjoy also when home from school breaks.
Parents moved to 50th & Collins recently after being further north at 69th & Collins (formerly Canyon Ranch). Our family actually preferred that location due to the proximity of Publix and a few restaurants - I think oceanfront on Collins will be out of our price range though!

Last edited by Thestig2; 06-26-2016 at 10:58 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestig2 View Post
What is considered Mid-beach? Is that the area where parents live now - 50th and Collins? DH and I don't really care for this particular stretch for ourselves, although great for our parents. They live in an established building and most residents are older. We have a 17 and 19 yr old so would like to be in area that they would enjoy also when home from school breaks.
Parents moved to 50th & Collins recently after being further north at 69th & Collins (formerly Canyon Ranch). Our family actually preferred that location due to the proximity of Publix and a few restaurants - I think oceanfront on Collins will be out of our price range though!
Yes, that is Mid-Beach, which technically runs from 23rd Street to 63rd Street. More specifically, that area of Mid Beach is referred to as Condo Canyon and is probably the least walkable area in all of Miami Beach. As you are aware, there's nothing much there other than condos and hotels from 41st to 63rd. When my wife and I were condo-hunting a few years ago, that's the first area we eliminated because of that fact. Coincidentally, we ended up buying up near where you're parents used to live, a couple of blocks from the Publix.

Also coincidentally, we also have elderly parents that we are assisting, so in addition to our condo, we just bought a house on the mainland to be closer to them and to cut down on the commute. (It had been 17 miles o/w and is now 5.) And since we liked the walkability of North Beach, we also searched for an urban, walkable area when we were house-hunting. We originally looked at Coral Gables, near their downtown/business district, but eventually ended up farther east off of Coral Way. In addition to being able to walk to restaurants, bars, and other retail, we can take the free Trolley into either the Gables or Downtown Miami, plus we're walking distance to the Vizcaya Metro Station. And yet, we live on a quiet, tree-lined street in a friendly neighborhood.

We're the close to the same age range as you (late 50s), so I think you would like this area; however, your 17 & 19 year olds would definitely prefer being on the beach. Moreover, I wouldn't want to drive back-and-forth to 50th & Collins from here. (It's much easier (less traffic) to get to North Beach than to 50th Street from the Julia Tuttle.) Consequently, you may want to follow elchevere's suggestion of SoFi or Sunset Harbor. You and they would probably like Edgewater as others have suggested as well, although again, getting to 50th & Collins won't be fun.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
We are a couple in our early 50's (2 kids in college) looking for a condo in order to be closer to aging parents. They are in the 5000 block of Collins Ave. However, we would prefer a more urban, walkable area to live - this would be a second home, but will eventually become permanent. I will be living in Miami the majority of the year & husband will commute in/out of MIA, eventually relocating here. We are researching Wynwood/Edgewater & Brickell. Any thoughts on these areas or other suitable neighborhoods. We will rent for a year before buying.
Wynwood is OK. People make it seem like it is the super amazing, trans-formative place, and it isn't. At least it wasn't two years ago when i was still living down there. It has a lot of warehouses, some of which had been turned into art gallerias etc. But it still had a lot of run down buildings and lower class residents and all that comes with that.

Edgewater is nice along the bay, and close access to the metro mover and other things. The northern have gets really pervy though. I read one story about a guy who would stand in his window and pleasure himself for the world to see from the comfort of his condo, in the northern part of the Edgewater.

Brickell is nice, traffic is horrific, but you living there means you have access to the metro mover, so it won't concern you as much. They are also building a nice mall (not sure if it is done or not), and there is building another one in the northern part of downtown miami. So there is a lot going on and you will have the train to take you there. Also, the museums in Downtown Miami, which you will have access to, are really cool. You would be closer to those museums from Edgewater though. The only thing about Brickell is there is a younger crowed who likes to hang out at happy hours in Brickell. So that is something to think about.

Coconut Grove should be another place you look at. It is calmer, has a nice shopping and entertainment district. They are also developing the waterfront. It is VERY walkable also, and you wouldn't really need to drive to do much on your day to day, even shopping, as they have a nice grocery store on Bayshore drive. This is my favorite area in Miami by far.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
I think Brickell and South Beach are great areas to consider. In the south of fifth area, and along West Avenue, it is quite residential yet still walkable. It's really like a different world than up along ocean drive.

I live along West Avenue right by the MacArthur Causeway, and we moved there for similar reasons - my wife and I also live in NYC, and like the areas mix of urban yet still suburban, which provides nice walkability

Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Doesn't have to be ocean front. There are still some good deals a couple blocks off the beach and also in Normandy Island, still very walkable and bus service to South Beach is usable. Bay Harbor Island is also a good option--basically zero crime and if you're near Kane Concourse, it's walking distance to the beach and Surfside. It's also closer to Aventura Mall, if the "kids" are in to that. Unfortunately, Brickell and Midtown aren't very cheap either, and there isn't much for 17-19 year olds to do in the immediate vicinity.

As mentioned by AnnRyan, older condos in Edgewater can be more affordable, also the so-called Upper East Side (Biscayne Blvd. in the 50's - 80's). Can be a bit rough around the edges, though.

Personally, I'd probably go with North Beach off of Collins, Normandy, or Bay Harbor.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:47 PM

I appreciate all your help. I am going down in three weeks to investigate all the areas you have suggested. We have been to Miami many times as a visitor, so it will be nice to have a look around with the perspective of potential resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami