Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:29 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why the OP and his realtor friend feel the need to bash Miami all the time.

Those of us who live in Miami-Dade don't invade other boards with such nonsense. I don't like Broward for many reasons but I don't feel any need to go there and bash it.

It sounds more like you people have some inferiority complex or need to sell some homes. I feel bad for the gullible idiots you actually convince to commute 80-100 miles daily because you scared them with your BS.

Miami is neither hell or heaven on earth. The same applies for Broward suburbs, nothing special about Weston or Davie. People still shop at Publix, go to the beach, send their kids to good public schools or private schools if they can afford them. Same freaking BS. If you can get a good paying job here and avoid a long commute, you can live like in many large cities of the US. If you come here unemployed, broke and without any marketable skills then you won't make it, like you wouldn't make it in NYC, Chicago, LA or any other place in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 PM

289 posts, read 304,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Miami, Miami beach, or most places in Miami-Dade County, are nothing like they used to be. Only decent place nearby is WEST Broward county. This includes Weston and surrounding areas like Davie and the acre ranches. Crime is highest in Miami Gardens area.
Miami and Miami Beach are actually nicer now than they've ever been in the past. There's always the desire to romanticize what used to be, and it's easy if viewed through nostalgia-colored glasses, but I think a lot of people really tend to forget that Miami and Miami Beach used to be real ****holes. In the 50's and 60's, it was basically one giant retirement community, with a small artist colony in the middle of it. In the 70's and 80's, the city was one of the most dangerous places in the country thanks to the Cocaine Cowboys. In the 90's, it was largely either forgotten as the country looked towards the Northeast and PNW, or else it was avoided because of residual crime from the 80's, (though small parts of South Beach thrived thanks to the bohemian thing they had going on). It really wasn't until the mid-00's that people started to rediscover Miami and it turned back into a major world-class destination. Granted, that brought along it's own set of problems, but overall the city hasn't been this healthy in a long time, if ever before.

By the way, if you want a real lol-worthy moment, take a loot at Miami arson statistics and compare them to the housing booms/busts. It's hilarious how every time there's a recession, arson doubles.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 PM

289 posts, read 304,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Miami and Miami Beach are actually nicer now than they've ever been in the past. There's always the desire to romanticize what used to be, and it's easy if viewed through nostalgia-colored glasses, but I think a lot of people really tend to forget that Miami and Miami Beach used to be real ****holes. In the 50's and 60's, it was basically one giant retirement community, with a small artist colony in the middle of it. In the 70's and 80's, the city was one of the most dangerous places in the country thanks to the Cocaine Cowboys. In the 90's, it was largely either forgotten as the country looked towards the Northeast and PNW, or else it was avoided because of residual crime from the 80's, (though small parts of South Beach thrived thanks to the bohemian thing they had going on). It really wasn't until the mid-00's that people started to rediscover Miami and it turned back into a major world-class destination. Granted, that brought along it's own set of problems, but overall the city hasn't been this healthy in a long time, if ever before.

By the way, if you want a real lol-worthy moment, take a loot at Miami arson statistics and compare them to the housing booms/busts. It's hilarious how every time there's a recession, arson doubles.
And just to add, because I was just looking through crime data for the area, if you look at crime data in Miami Beach, it's incredibly misleading. City-Data uses full-time resident population to calculate a per 100,000 rate for crime, so on a cursory look, it looks like robberies and assaults are through the roof in Miami Beach. However, if you adjust the total population figure to include tourists and transient population (using either day-time population estimates or yearly tourism estimates), the numbers drop precipitously to the point where it's actually quite safe relative to most other major cities.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 PM

874 posts, read 899,089 times
Ah... enjoy the gloating... but strangely we continue to enjoy a net influx of population, so apparently there are tons of people who do like it here?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

Doral, Miami Lakes, and Kendall are all solidly middle-class but of course they were likely excluded from the calculation. Much easier to get clicks slapping Miami on your headline than giving actual valid statistics.
Yes they are excluded, they only used the City of Miami stats(the second to last page lists the population) but of course they placed a picture of Miami Beach LOL Apparently they have never heard of the "City of Miami Beach"

Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I don't understand why the OP and his realtor friend feel the need to bash Miami all the time.

Those of us who live in Miami-Dade don't invade other boards with such nonsense. I don't like Broward for many reasons but I don't feel any need to go there and bash it.

It sounds more like you people have some inferiority complex or need to sell some homes. I feel bad for the gullible idiots you actually convince to commute 80-100 miles daily because you scared them with your BS.

Miami is neither hell or heaven on earth. The same applies for Broward suburbs, nothing special about Weston or Davie. People still shop at Publix, go to the beach, send their kids to good public schools or private schools if they can afford them. Same freaking BS. If you can get a good paying job here and avoid a long commute, you can live like in many large cities of the US. If you come here unemployed, broke and without any marketable skills then you won't make it, like you wouldn't make it in NYC, Chicago, LA or any other place in the US.
He is not even my friend. I don't know the guy. And I like Miami a lot, actually.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Miami tops list of the 50 'worst cities to live in': report - Washington Times

Even worse than Detroit. Miami tops the list as the worst city in the US to live in. While I don't necessarily agree with the criteria, it's still an unfortunate list to be a part of.
YES! Let's take the opinion of a "Right Wing" Journalistic rag like the Washington Times !
Really? worst than Detroit? In what shape or form is Miami worse than Detroit?

Put down the "crack pipe" if you believe this bull***t article.

Amazingly Miami's population grew by 2.2% between 2014 and 2015 adding 9,627 new residents !
From the US Census Bureau:

Miami city, Florida /2014 City population : 431,376

Miami city, Florida /2015 City population : 441,003

Ranked #94 in growth between 2014 & 2015 out of 749 US cities with populations over
Incorporated Places of 50,000 or More in 2014.

Link: American FactFinder - Results

Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
YES! Let's take the opinion of a "Right Wing" Journalistic rag like the Washington Times !
Really? worst than Detroit? In what shape or form is Miami worse than Detroit?

Put down the "crack pipe" if you believe this bull***t article.

Amazingly Miami's population grew by 2.2% between 2014 and 2015 adding 9,627 new residents !
From the US Census Bureau:

Miami city, Florida /2014 City population : 431,376

Miami city, Florida /2015 City population : 441,003

Ranked #94 in growth between 2014 & 2015 out of 749 US cities with populations over
Incorporated Places of 50,000 or More in 2014.

Link: American FactFinder - Results
Link no good, and population growth doesn't say much. Is that via births or adults? What is the average stay of a person who moves there? Miami is known to be very transient. True test is economics. How viable is a place.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:13 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Miami is still one beautiful city to visit as I prefer to come here than a lot of other American cities as it has the cleanest air and beautiful Biscayne Bay with a tropical setting you don't find that in many parts of the U.S. if any.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Miami would be a great area if it weren't for one thing........the people who have moved there. The area was beautiful at one time, but now it is like going to a foreign country. No one speaks English and crime is horrible.

I live on the west coast of Florida, and would not move there for all the money in the world.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami