Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Do you find in general the people that hate Miami are not Latino, and the ones that like it are?

I have found the people that complain about Miami the most are non-Latinos. The ones that appreciate and enjoy living there are the Latinos.

That is probably a fair assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
That is probably a fair assessment.
That's actually one of the things I love about Miami, that I think some "white" people might not get. In Chicago we have plenty of Latinos, but not the majority, so in the professional world and in the upper class neighborhoods and general nightlife spots, it's overwhelmingly white, so the feeling of being a minority is amplified.

When I go to Miami it's the opposite. I feel so comfortable. When I go out it's great to be surrounded by fellow Latinos. It's great to meet so many professional Latinos. So I can imagine a white person who moves to Miami feels what many minorities feel in most cities.

For example, an Asian person would also feel so out of place and not be able to connect as well with people in Miami. But put them in Honolulu and they will feel very comfortable. Same with Atlanta and African Americans.

I think what people fail to understand is that Miami is basically a Latin American city on US soil. If you don't like being a minority, don't like Latin American culture or people, you are going to hate Miami. A Cuban who who is very in tune with their culture would probably dislike and not like a place like Seattle or Minneapolis. They would feel left out almost. So the people that hate on Miami so much I get the impression are white Americans who just can't fit in.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
That's actually one of the things I love about Miami, that I think some "white" people might not get. In Chicago we have plenty of Latinos, but not the majority, so in the professional world and in the upper class neighborhoods and general nightlife spots, it's overwhelmingly white, so the feeling of being a minority is amplified.

When I go to Miami it's the opposite. I feel so comfortable. When I go out it's great to be surrounded by fellow Latinos. It's great to meet so many professional Latinos. So I can imagine a white person who moves to Miami feels what many minorities feel in most cities.

For example, an Asian person would also feel so out of place and not be able to connect as well with people in Miami. But put them in Honolulu and they will feel very comfortable. Same with Atlanta and African Americans.

I think what people fail to understand is that Miami is basically a Latin American city on US soil. If you don't like being a minority, don't like Latin American culture or people, you are going to hate Miami. A Cuban who who is very in tune with their culture would probably dislike and not like a place like Seattle or Minneapolis. They would feel left out almost. So the people that hate on Miami so much I get the impression are white Americans who just can't fit in.
I have to disagree a little. There are many different types of "white" people, including Hispanics. Going out in Miami, the person walking by me could be from who knows where, and they probably think the same about me (for example). So the feeling of (if "white") "I am a minority here" does not exist in a phenotype sense. A white person must have some hardened Anglo Saxon looks or something to experience this, and even at that, there are some people that look straight out of Ireland or something all to find out they are from Argentina.

As for the hate on Miami; every city in the US has a "hate it" crowd.

I understand what you are saying though, and for Joe Smith from Ohio he probably does feel like a minority even though in reality, Hispanic whites make up a good proportion of the population, and that the phenotype differences are basically irrelevant compared to blacks for example.

The thing that makes anyone not from Miami stand out is the way they dress, and that will attract attention more so than what race/ethnic group someone is.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Do you find in general the people that hate Miami are not Latino, and the ones that like it are?

I have found the people that complain about Miami the most are non-Latinos. The ones that appreciate and enjoy living there are the Latinos.
I do not think it is just non-Latinos who complain, I think the people who complain come from the southern or mid-western type culture, which really is in contrast with the Miami culture and the culture of S.FL in general, which non-Hispanic whites make up the majority of.

But there are plenty of blacks who do not like Miami and plenty of Hispanics who do not like Miami.

But look at all those who do like the place. I meet people from all over the world, not just Latin America, who love Miami and enjoy living here.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have to disagree a little. There are many different types of "white" people, including Hispanics. Going out in Miami, the person walking by me could be from who knows where, and they probably think the same about me (for example). So the feeling of (if "white") "I am a minority here" does not exist in a phenotype sense. A white person must have some hardened Anglo Saxon looks or something to experience this, and even at that, there are some people that look straight out of Ireland or something all to find out they are from Argentina.

As for the hate on Miami; every city in the US has a "hate it" crowd.

I understand what you are saying though, and for Joe Smith from Ohio he probably does feel like a minority even though in reality, Hispanic whites make up a good proportion of the population, and that the phenotype differences are basically irrelevant compared to blacks for example.

The thing that makes anyone not from Miami stand out is the way they dress, and that will attract attention more so than what race/ethnic group someone is.
I think you misinterperted about when I said "white". I meant non-hispanic whites when I say whites. Latinos come in all races, but I meant non-hispanic whites.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:24 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,894,939 times
I'm hispanic and Miami is far from my ideal place to live.I dont think my dislike of Miami has reached "hate" levels yet but I think every year it gets closer to it,luckily I'm out of here pretty soon.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I'm hispanic and Miami is far from my ideal place to live.I dont think my dislike of Miami has reached "hate" levels yet but I think every year it gets closer to it,luckily I'm out of here pretty soon.
I am just curious, what don't you like about it?

Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 PM

271 posts, read 384,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
How interesting that it is only a stone's throw away from the best place to live in the whole USA.

Which city was rated best?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 PM

874 posts, read 899,089 times
As usual... I bend the curve. Raised in the midwest, family in the United States for 150 years, no hispanic history at all.... love Miami. Love the weirdness, love the ever changing landscape, love the wildlife (and yes, I see it routinely), etc.

But I long ago learned that being average was overrated. People who feel compelled to be in the majority, or fit in with the Jones' will probably hate it here.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times
Quote:

Appreciate the comments. It's nice to have an adult conversation about these types of things without people throwing the race card all over the place. I try and let new posters know what to expect with Miami, since a lot of non Spanish speakers don't find it comfortable. Whereas a Spanish speaker may be in heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami