Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

99 posts, read 425,841 times

Advertisements

A great example of people trying to better their community in Opa-Locka, the infamous "triangle.

http://www.justnews.com/news/18584820/detail.html#video (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Most of Miami Dade's 257 homicides in 2008 were in predominantly African American neighborhoods like Opa Locka. Even if the crime was slightly lowered in that area, it is still a really ugly and run down part of Miami. Much more will be needed to erase the effects of 30+ years of bad migration to the area.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Yea O.K... When you see soccer moms driving mini vans with chrome rims, and liquor stores and burned out/abandoned beauty botiques and fish restaurants lining the streets you know you are in a ghetto.

WOW! No offense to you personally, but this has got to be one of the DUMBEST comments I have ever read. At least top 5. I mean, what value does this comment add to this thread. This comment is along the lines of these people in this video right here:

YouTube - redneck woman rails on Obama

What does chrome rims and liquor stores have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? Is there a statistical study showing that areas with fish restaurants have higher crime than those that don't? Sorry for getting off topic, but this had to be addressed.

Which brings me back to my original point. The area has its own culture and personality. Some people feel comfortable in that crowd, others don't. But those that don't have no right to bash the honest hard working people in that city. Not everyone in Opa Locka is a murderer.

Its a flea market. Its a place where lower income families can buy affordable necessities for their kids and where lower income individuals can buy affordable materials for themselves. Its not catered to a banking executive on Brickell Ave.

Not everyone can afford to buy their kids clothes at the "Bal Harbor Shoppes".

Oh and FYI:

When you in the hood its "Football Moms" not "Soccer Moms"

Last edited by DCkid; 01-29-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post

WOW! No offense to you personally, but this has got to be one of the DUMBEST comments I have ever read. At least top 5. I mean, what value does this comment add to this thread. This comment is along the lines of these people in this video right here:

YouTube - redneck woman rails on Obama

Judging by your reaction, I can see that I hit the nail squarely on the head regarding Carol City and similar slums further down in Miami.

Quote:
What does chrome rims and liquor stores have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? Sorry for getting off topic, but this had to be addressed.
I was describing the surrounding area. What's wrong with that? I was clearly in line with the OP. So tell me big guy, if my description of Carol City is so off base, what will be the salvation of Carol City and similar underdeveloped areas in Miami? More/less law enforcement? More Federal spending/handouts? More corrupt, local politicians who wear silk suits?

More McDonalds?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
A great example of people trying to better their community in Opa-Locka, the infamous "triangle.

Retired Grandmother Lives Her Dream In Troubled Neighborhood - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.justnews.com/news/18584820/detail.html#video - broken link)

Just read this. Like I've been saying it seems like positive things in these communities go unoticed. Take Miami Northwestern's football team for example. All of the articles in the Herald discuss the school's poor graduation rate and the rough neighborhoods surrounding the area. But if you go to one of their games, you wouldn't even know that such a high level of poverty existed in Liberty City. You've got alumni from 50+ years ago coming together with the current students. Their games pack stadiums every week and its just a moment in which the whole city comes together. They take so much pride in that football team and that's a big reason why they are able to maintain one of the best programs in the country.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:02 PM

99 posts, read 425,841 times
Quote:
Just read this. Like I've been saying it seems like positive things in these communities go unoticed. Take Miami Northwestern's football team for example. All of the articles in the Herald discuss the school's poor graduation rate and the rough neighborhoods surrounding the area. But if you go to one of their games, you wouldn't even know that such a high level of poverty existed in Liberty City. You've got alumni from 50+ years ago coming together with the current students. Their games pack stadiums every week and its just a moment in which the whole city comes together. They take so much pride in that football team and that's a big reason why they are able to maintain one of the best programs in the country.
I was just at a regional theatre showcase a couple weeks ago and you would not believe the talent that comes out of these rough schools. Both Northwestern and Jackson were there and had probly the biggest support in the theatre and were presenting amazing talent that is overshadowed by poverty and crime headlines.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM

41 posts, read 169,136 times
that is why those areas are rotten, their citizens are in denial.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
I don't want to put down Opa Locka...but Opa Locka is NOT Miami Gardens. Both cities have their share of problems but when was the last time you heard of a politician in Miami Gardens getting taken down by the Feds or having trouble with the law?? I think I hear crickets.....do you know why...because it hasn't happened. Now Opa Locka is a different story. They have had oversight and the Feds have taken down more than their share of politicians in that city because of corruption issues. Please do not throw a blanket statement out there like that because it is WRONG!!! The politicians in Miami Gardens have done a fabulous job of beautifying the city and attempting to get things right. Yes, there are crime problems, but they are less than last year and hopefully will continue on a downward trend when other cities are trending UP due to the trying economic times we are in.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 16,887 times
Hey I'm going to be in Miami next month & was thinking of checking out the Carol Mart for shopping, what do you guys think? I am hispanic & it seems to be mostly afican-americans, would it be a good idea or not?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
^^ troll horrible, i heard from friends that are cops, that miami gardens is one of the most active areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami