Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:37 AM

289 posts, read 305,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Nothing to be flippant about. Rudeness contributes to negative energy in the environment.

It actually blows my mind that you have to explain to people why it's necessary to be cordial to their fellow human beings.
The problem with your line of thinking is that there's no such thing as objective "rudeness". So what you really mean is "People not acting the way I think they should act contributes negative energy." To which my response is, who the F--- do you think you are that you feel justified judging people by whatever arbitrary system you happened to have come up with?

See, that might strike you as rude. But you strike me as more rude, because you're trying to impose your standards of behavior on others. How about instead, you get over yourself and let people be who they are, instead of feeling insulted whenever they don't live up to your expectations? You might actually find that you're happier when you don't expect something from everyone around you and spend some more time thinking about your own actions. Instead of treating people the way you want to be treated, treat them the way THEY want to be treated. I call this radical idea "The Platinum Rule". Give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Ok, so the excuse that drivers aren't rude or bad, it's just the South American culture is out the door I have concluded. They are just bad drivers and rude lol.

Second time today, we were crossing the sidewalk when we had the right away. First time we had 16 seconds left to cross and a driver sped up as if we were jay walking and was like slapping his head looking at us as if we weren't supposed to be crossing the street. A few streets later it happened again this time with 24 seconds left to cross, except this time the guy actually rolled down his window and was making nasty gestures toward us.

This is simply not understanding the laws of the road and complete rudeness, but once again... People on the street are very pleasant and nice... lol

Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post

But, when I am walking by and someone just says hi to me, yeah I ignore them. I just don't understand the point? Either ask me a question because you need something, or if you are going to say hi, then do it because you want to strike a conversation with me. Not because I am just passing by you. Same deal with the elevator.

Maybe if I lived in a small town it would be different. But living in a city where I come across 1,000+ people or more per day, I don't think it's rude to ignore someone just because they decided to say hi to me as I pass them by.
People usually don't say hi on elevators or trains, they say "good morning" It's not supposed to start a conversation. It's common courtesy. People often say it when there is only a couple of people there, not in a packed elevator. They also tend to say it to people who they don't know but that are staying in the same place like in a resort, hotel etc. You know like saying hello to a neighbor or a security guard. Using common courtesy is either something your parents teach you or you learn in a corporate environment.

Of course many service workers say "hi" I don't think that's an intrusion of privacy, that just mean they have manners or management forces them to say hi. I don't care if they don't say hi either as long as they complete my order without an attitude. 99% people treat me with respect and those who don't either have an attitude problem, need to change jobs, are having a bad day or all of the above.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
People usually don't say hi on elevators or trains, they say "good morning" It's not supposed to start a conversation. It's common courtesy. People often say it when there is only a couple of people there, not in a packed elevator. They also tend to say it to people who they don't know but that are staying in the same place like in a resort, hotel etc. You know like saying hello to a neighbor or a security guard. Using common courtesy is either something your parents teach you or you learn in a corporate environment.

Of course many service workers say "hi" I don't think that's an intrusion of privacy, that just mean they have manners or management forces them to say hi. I don't care if they don't say hi either as long as they complete my order without an attitude. 99% people treat me with respect and those who don't either have an attitude problem, need to change jobs, are having a bad day or all of the above.
You need to omit the neighbor and security guard part. That is different, those people I always say hello to and good morning because I KNOW THEM. I see them all the time, sometimes on a daily basis. But a stranger who I have never seen and probably will never again? What's the point?!

Why do I have to say good morning to people in the elevator? So should I now say good morning to men in public restrooms as well when I go to use it? Should I have to say good morning to the people that are in line with me at the grocery store? I guess why is it so unacceptable to not say hello or good morning in elevator, and acceptable to not say hello or good morning when in line at the store or when in public restroom?! If I am at a baseball game do I now need to say hello to everyone that is sitting around me?

I just don't understand why it's okay to not have to say hello to people in those situations but on an elevator I have to? If anything you are on an elevator for less than a minute, it would make more sense to say hello or good morning in other situations as mentioned above, where you are surrounded with those strangers for a longer period of time.

I just don't get it nor do I care.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I suppose those who need to hear hello from strangers are lacking a network of good friends or family and might have too much time on their hands with not enough responsibility...are we supposed to tell every beautiful woman we run into on the street how beautiful she is for fear of offending her if we don't, as well?

Old 07-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
You need to omit the neighbor and security guard part. That is different, those people I always say hello to and good morning because I KNOW THEM. I see them all the time, sometimes on a daily basis. But a stranger who I have never seen and probably will never again? What's the point?!

Why do I have to say good morning to people in the elevator? So should I now say good morning to men in public restrooms as well when I go to use it? Should I have to say good morning to the people that are in line with me at the grocery store? I guess why is it so unacceptable to not say hello or good morning in elevator, and acceptable to not say hello or good morning when in line at the store or when in public restroom?! If I am at a baseball game do I now need to say hello to everyone that is sitting around me?

I just don't understand why it's okay to not have to say hello to people in those situations but on an elevator I have to? If anything you are on an elevator for less than a minute, it would make more sense to say hello or good morning in other situations as mentioned above, where you are surrounded with those strangers for a longer period of time.

I just don't get it nor do I care.
I'll speak for myself. I don't care if you say hi to me or not. Why would I? I think making a big deal about this is stupid and that goes for both sides, those who think everybody should say hi to them and those who feel their privacy is being invaded because someone says hello to them.

The elevator is probably because it is such a confined place, it might feel a little awkward to ignore someone that is so close to you. Usually the person who is already in the elevator tends to be close to the buttons and will ask you what floor you are heading to. I don't think it's a big deal. If some other customer at a store says hi and then wants to engage in a conversation, I know how to politely stop it, I'll go to another side of the store. It is very rare that this happens. I think it actually happens more often with people with mental disabilities because they don't know how to read people.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
.are we supposed to tell every beautiful woman we run into on the street how beautiful she is for fear of offending her if we don't, as well?
Yes you are!, every woman in the USA is waiting for your compliments. Don't forget to hand out flowers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e414xYILKeQ

Old 07-09-2016, 08:33 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Found this article about the rude, slow drivers who camp out in the left hand lane of the highway:

Speed Up, Slowpoke, or Get a Ticket - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami