Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 03:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

In Miami, do all of the schools teach in English or are there some where the language of instruction is Spanish, French, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
How do you come up with these ridiculous ideas?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Legitimate question. The County has three legal languages: English, Spanish, and Creole. County documents such as elections are supposed to be printed in all three. However, as far as I know, public grade and high school instruction is primarily in English with a strong ESL component and "Spanish for Spanish Speakers" classes for recent immigrants. Also, GED and night school courses are given in Spanish. Vocational and some Community College courses are taught in Spanish. Miami Dade College's Interamerican Campus in Little Havana is supposedly "the largest bilingual learning environment in all of higher education." Not sure about private elementary and high schools, but private trade schools have a lot of programs you can do totally in Spanish.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In Miami, do all of the schools teach in English or are there some where the language of instruction is Spanish, French, etc.?
There is a French school in Miami with ties to the government, mainly for children of diplomats and businesshumans.

I know of two public schools, under magnet school rules I believe, that have linguistics programs featuring some combination of German, Spanish, French and Italian, and these programs are in some way sponsored and recognized by the respective ministries of education in Europe.

There are some private schools that claim to be bilingual Spanish-English, but as far as I know these schools are located in the western part of Miami-Dade County and away from the more established eastern corridor, and my impression is that they teach badly both Spanish and English and I don't believe that they have enjoyed any significant success. But there may be some that have been successful.

There may be some charter schools that also claim to be bilingual Spanish-English.

There is one charter school that attempts to be bilingual Greek-English, with varying degrees of success depending on the student.

There may also be some private and/or charter schools that attempt Chinese.

However, the language of instruction in the overwhelming majority of all schools in Miami-Dade County is English, and Spanish is offered as a second language, along with a few others.

Most children of families of Hispanic descent struggle to speak Spanish fluently unless both parents speak Spanish only in the household.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
By the way Miami-Dade Public Schools which is the fourth largest school district in the United States, comprised of 392 schools & 391,000 students has identified over 70+ foreign languages spoken by it's students.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-...chool_rankings

Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How do you come up with these ridiculous ideas?
I don't think that's a ridiculous idea at all. I think it's ridiculous we're only teaching our children one language. (And if you try to say "well they take language classes in school," I'm going to really laugh at you.)

Old 07-16-2016, 09:11 AM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
Some good answers above.

I would add that, at least for elementary schools, there are several combinations in between 'full english' and 'ESOL'.

the official list of bilingual programs is at:
Dadeschools.net

Old 07-20-2016, 07:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
There are many people who speak Spanish at home who never 'learn' Spanish. They are bilingual but their reading and writing in Spanish is lacking. I write and read Spanish better than some of the native speakers I know

Everyone I know who went to secondary school in Miami whether Hispanic or non Hispanic white or black had nearly all their school in English. I know a few Hispanics who failed HS Spanish because they assumed it would be a blow off class for them since they spoke Spanish fluently; they actually had to learn grammar and some literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: