Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan_girl View Post
i used to teach at Westminster. it is a great school and is K-12. most of the kids get accepted to ivy league colleges. the pinecrest neighborhood is one of the best in miami - very suburban and "american", if you know what i mean.
No, I don't know what you mean? Can you please explain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 PM

227 posts, read 437,583 times
Private: Belen Jesuit School
Public: Palmetto High School

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
I would say that the top private school in Miami would be Ransom Everglades. The administrators sure are proud of the school because the tuition cost more than the average university. You might even be able to go to UM for less.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
Hi, I am moving to Miami this summer with my two teenagers sons. Both my boys were accepted at Columbus HS ( MAS program) and also at Westminster HS. I am debating what schools would be best. I am hesitant about Columbus as it is only boys ( my sons have had always co-ed education), that is why I am more inclined for Westminster HS. Please advise. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estradam View Post
Hi, I am moving to Miami this summer with my two teenagers sons. Both my boys were accepted at Columbus HS ( MAS program) and also at Westminster HS. I am debating what schools would be best. I am hesitant about Columbus as it is only boys ( my sons have had always co-ed education), that is why I am more inclined for Westminster HS. Please advise. Thank you.
The main difference is probably cultural: the one is Catholic and predominantly Hispanic in a more or less middle class area, while the other is non-denominational with Presbyterian roots, but also 40% Catholic, and Anglo in a more or less executive class area, while Columbus may have an edge academically in the MAS program.

I think the boys would have plenty of opportunities for full socialization if they are active in the local community, which, I believe, is one of the requirements of the MAS program anyway.

So you could base your decision on whether you are comfortable with a fully Catholic culture in a predominantly Hispanic area or not and/or exactly where you will be living and how you feel about driving distances.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
Thank you!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Some of them are, not all. The public high schools I'd say are exceptionally good are:

Miami Killian, Miami Palmetto, DASH, MAST, New World School of the Arts, Dr. Michael Krop, Miami Coral Reef, Robert Morgan, South Dade, and Miami Beach High.

I think they are all Senior High. Any suggestion for Middle School (public schools)?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommygarcia View Post
Ransom Everglades, Belen, Gulliver, Our Lady of Lourdes, Carollton, Palmer Trinity, and Westminster all are good private high schools. Best Value = Belen - all boys 6th-12th grade - with every sport and club imaginable.

MAST and DASH - public magnet high schools are top notch, even on National lists. Public - best non-magnet one is Palmetto high in Pinecrest.

Middle school is iffy in public.

Elementary - you are good in almost all public schools.

I suggest you go to [URL="http://www.greatschools.net"]www.greatschools.net[/URL] for help.

I'm completely agree with you, nevertheless, any option for public middle schools?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 13,140 times
Hi everybody! Is any of this recommended schools (elementary) in Key Biscayne?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
K-8 carrollton school of the sacred heart, epipthany, st. Timothy's, st stephens, st. Thomas the apostle, westminster
high school carrollton school of the sacred heart, lourdes academy, columbus, belen, westminster, gulliver and ransom everglades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami