Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
There is a rivalry between Broward and Miami... and WPB and everybody.... Then you have the people who simply only experienced Miami and lump all of South Florida into that.

Regardless of what some people here say, the Broward suburbs are significantly nicer, newer, cleaner, and better to raise a family than just about anywhere in Miami. This is a general statement - so take it as such. If I were looking to live on or near the beach, or if I like an urban environment, Miami is much better than Broward. So your friend near Brickell, sounds about right. I know someone who just moved to Brickell from west Broward and loves it as well. I could see myself living there someday, too.

You are going to get a lot of hate when it comes to Miami because the suburbs are pretty dumpy. They are dirty, poorly maintained, huge multi-million dollar houses next to the salvation army, etc. etc. The buildings look old, it's just an older city and it shows. It's not ALL that way, Miami is big, but unless you are in the high six figure or into the 7 figures and can afford Pinecrest, the suburbs of Miami are terrible. Schools are terrible, poor infrastructure, tons of traffic, it's just a mess. Most people cannot afford a million dollar house, hence they come to Broward.

Of course, there are awful places in Broward, but Broward certainly has far more options for middle income earners to live in excellent neighborhoods with great schools.

I know a couple will get offended and avoid reality all at costs.... but it's just the way it is.
Desirable neighborhoods with newer homes in Broward are not all that much cheaper than outlying parts of Miami-Dade, at least not until you get in to northern Broward. Cheaper, yes, but not dramatically so, especially considering the greater commute expanse for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 PM

224 posts, read 285,998 times
Quote:
There is a rivalry between Broward and Miami... and WPB and everybody.... Then you have the people who simply only experienced Miami and lump all of South Florida into that.

Regardless of what some people here say, the Broward suburbs are significantly nicer, newer, cleaner, and better to raise a family than just about anywhere in Miami. This is a general statement - so take it as such. If I were looking to live on or near the beach, or if I like an urban environment, Miami is much better than Broward. So your friend near Brickell, sounds about right. I know someone who just moved to Brickell from west Broward and loves it as well. I could see myself living there someday, too.

You are going to get a lot of hate when it comes to Miami because the suburbs are pretty dumpy. They are dirty, poorly maintained, huge multi-million dollar houses next to the salvation army, etc. etc. The buildings look old, it's just an older city and it shows. It's not ALL that way, Miami is big, but unless you are in the high six figure or into the 7 figures and can afford Pinecrest, the suburbs of Miami are terrible. Schools are terrible, poor infrastructure, tons of traffic, it's just a mess. Most people cannot afford a million dollar house, hence they come to Broward.

Of course, there are awful places in Broward, but Broward certainly has far more options for middle income earners to live in excellent neighborhoods with great schools.

I know a couple will get offended and avoid reality all at costs.... but it's just the way it is.
I looked in some areas of Broward County..prices are similar, and some of the ones I looked at are only slightly less. Is it better property tax wise? Initially, we'd be renting the first year then buy a home when we know the areas better.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
I didn't say the houses were cheaper in Broward. I said you are getting a nicer neighborhood for the money. You can't compare a DESIRABLE neighborhood with good schools in Broward to a dirty, crowded, poorly maintained area with poor schools in an undesirable area in Miami. Yes, you can buy a house for the same price, you just get so much more in Broward.

If you have to commute deep into Miami, unfortunately, you are just screwed But there is a reason that seemingly half of the western Miami workers, who are in within reach of west Broward, commute down from Broward.

I was just talking about why people hate Miami, though. If I had a budget under $750k for a home with my family, I'd hate what Miami has to offer as well. Just driving the neighborhoods makes this abundantly obvious.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 PM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
To be frank, you sound young and uniformed. But if you think you like Miami perhaps because you probably have Hispanic/Lation blood and speak some level of Spanish AND you are from NY-which means you are accustomed to pushy/rude people. Maybe you will love it but my advice is rent first for 6 months then decide to buy .....
so hispanics are all pushy and rude people? got it, thanks

Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
so hispanics are all pushy and rude people? got it, thanks
It's an undeniable cultural phenomenon.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 AM

240 posts, read 262,127 times
Quote:
It's an undeniable cultural phenomenon.
You're very wrong. Why don't you give the honest and correct answer, or you are afraid, so you lower yourself to be PC (politically correct)?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM

240 posts, read 262,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
So Hispanics are all pushy and rude people?
Good question! There is a reason for this and we must dig a little deeper sometimes to reveal the truth these days.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 AM

278 posts, read 316,929 times
Like any major city you will have good and bad parts. I'm originally from new York ( the Bronx) and moved here for college. I went to UMiami and after college was pretty sure I was going too back because I didn't particularly like the surrounding area ( besides the Grove, pinecrest and of course coral gables). Then I visited a friend in Brickell and midtown that completely changed my perspective. Awesome area with a new york vibe with better weather. The Hispanic culture isn't too different from new York ( trade Puerto Rican and Dominican culture for Cuban) and in these areas you have an amazing melting pot. I now have a small small family and am in the process of purchasing a second property here in brickell.

As I said, every major city has its bad parts. But from a fellow new Yorker if you can afford brickell and the surrounding corridor you will love it.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM

23 posts, read 26,012 times
If you do want to be in a Spanish speaking city surrounded by Latin people who do not care if you are offended by the Spanish language then do not move to Miami-Dade. If you are an American you will be much happier in Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrnthomas View Post
If you do want to be in a Spanish speaking city surrounded by Latin people who do not care if you are offended by the Spanish language then do not move to Miami-Dade. If you are an American you will be much happier in Ft. Lauderdale.
Well, Puerto Ricans are US Citizens and native Spanish speakers. What about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami