Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 85,886 times

Advertisements

My parents are from NYC and considering moving to Miami Beach or West Palm. They are in their early 50's. Which area is best for their age group? They definitely don't want to be with the oldies, but would love to find a place where they can make friends. Are the people friendly? Should they be near South Beach? Is Palm Beach better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 PM

551 posts, read 3,111,980 times
I can't comment on Palm Beach, but I don't think they would fit in at South Beach. 30 is old for South Beach! It's tons of fun, but revolves around partying and is always very noisy and dirty (used to live there). I don't think they'd enjoy thumping music all night and people puking in the streets. North Miami Beach is very nice though and more "settled". I think they'd fit right in there! It's a great area.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,181,407 times
Yes, look further up the coast from South Beach, including Bal Harbor and Sunny Isles.

West Palm Beach is a not-too-special city, not the beach. You need to look at Palm Beach, where the likes of Donald Trump have part-time palaces. Otherwise, consider some other communities in Palm Beach County, possibly starting with Jupiter up north and Delray Beach/Boca Raton down south.

Bring a ton of money, and good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 AM

763 posts, read 3,520,486 times
I'd suggest somewhere in northern Miami Beach, Aventura, or Downtown Miami even.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
I think *downtown* Delray Beach would be perfect for them. They could find a place in walking distance to Atlantic Ave and the beach and have the best of town and beach life. The restaurants and shops are upscale like NYC (I'm from NYC and feel very much at home here) and the beach is beautiful and uncrowded. Everyone is super friendly at the local Starbucks or the numerous happy hours or simply sitting at one of the neighborhood ice cream shops. Delray really has it all. And, the prices have calmed a bit since the housing bust so it's still pricey, but will seem cheap to them coming from NYC. Also Boca/Mizner Park is just 10 minutes south and the big box stores of Boynton Beach are just 10 minutes north. And, there are a ton of transplanted New Yorkers here that are right in their age range.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 AM

18 posts, read 85,886 times
Thanks! I've heard negative stories about Delray Beach...I've heard the term "DelRehab" due to many drug rehab centers in the area. Does this downgrade the area? This is the main reason we have not considered Delray Beach. Are these rumors true?

Also, what would you say the average age is in Sunny Isles or North Miami Beach?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 AM

551 posts, read 3,111,980 times
Sunny Isles or NMB would be a good place...I'd say the average age is mid 40s...maybe a little older

Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
I can't comment on Palm Beach, but I don't think they would fit in at South Beach. 30 is old for South Beach! It's tons of fun, but revolves around partying and is always very noisy and dirty (used to live there). I don't think they'd enjoy thumping music all night and people puking in the streets. North Miami Beach is very nice though and more "settled". I think they'd fit right in there! It's a great area.
I live in South Beach. I am in my mid 40's and I have never lived anywhere that I had so many friends my age. While the party crowd may be the 20 somethings, the people that actually live here in the community are usually older. This is especially true in the full service condo towers where the prices prevent many of the younger people from living in them. Also, the single family houses in South Beach, the islands in the bay and in Mid Beach are also places where the 40 and up crowd dominate. The thing to keep in mind about the Beach is that the "not so young" people who choose to live here are typically young at heart and are not interested in growing older by conventional wisdom standards.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
I read that article in the NY Times about Delray and rehabbers too and I was really surprised. The first thing that occurred to me is that must be why the happy hour specials are so great and why the coffee shops are so bustling. I would still definitely check it out, because it really is a neat place, and if there are a lot of rehabbers there, they're pretty invisible and fit in seamlessly. And, yes there is a good area and not so great area of downtown Delray, but I'd say as New Yorkers, they'd quickly learn the boundaries.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM

763 posts, read 3,520,486 times
Miami Beach, Aventura, Downtown Miami, Sunny Isles, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami