Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:26 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,530 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited Boston a month ago and couldn't help but notice how strikingly different that city is from Miami.

I realize comparing Miami to Boston is like comparing apples to oranges. Boston has a rich history, scores of colleges and universities, and monuments/museums galore. We have dining, nightlife, and beaches.

Even our hotel in Boston had a cozy room adjacent to the lobby called The Library (complete with its own collection of books), where guests could read or use their laptop while sipping on wine.

As a bookish guy myself -- I love to write and devour every book I can get my hands on -- I sometimes feel "intellectual" cities like Boston, Washington D.C. (which we visited two years ago), and New York might be more to my liking. I'm also partial to cold weather -- something that evades us in South Florida.

I was born and raised in Miami and have lived here my whole life. Unfortunately, though, it isn't easy to find people here who share my bookish bent. When I talk to others with great enthusiasm about Thomas Jefferson or the Industrial Revolution, they're left with a blank look on their faces and are quick to change the subject -- preferring instead to talk about topics like fashion.

Does Miami seem more shallow than other cities around the country, or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM

240 posts, read 262,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
...it isn't easy to find people here who share my bookish bent. When I talk to others with great enthusiasm about Thomas Jefferson or the Industrial Revolution, they're left with a blank look on their faces and are quick to change the subject -- preferring instead to talk about topics like fashion.
You obviously know nothing about the Latin culture. You claim you're born and raised in Miami but don't understand why Miami is so shallow-lol. Today, Miami is mostly a Latin dominated society composed of extreme poor and rich immigrants from mostly 3rd world countries south of the United States.

Quote:
Does Miami seem more shallow than other cities around the country, or is it just me?
Is this a trick question, or have you been living in a cave in New Mexico the last 20 years?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,152 times
Quote:
My wife and I visited Boston a month ago and couldn't help but notice how strikingly different that city is from Miami.

I realize comparing Miami to Boston is like comparing apples to oranges. Boston has a rich history, scores of colleges and universities, and monuments/museums galore. We have dining, nightlife, and beaches.

Even our hotel in Boston had a cozy room adjacent to the lobby called The Library (complete with its own collection of books), where guests could read or use their laptop while sipping on wine.

As a bookish guy myself -- I love to write and devour every book I can get my hands on -- I sometimes feel "intellectual" cities like Boston, Washington D.C. (which we visited two years ago), and New York might be more to my liking. I'm also partial to cold weather -- something that evades us in South Florida.

I was born and raised in Miami and have lived here my whole life. Unfortunately, though, it isn't easy to find people here who share my bookish bent. When I talk to others with great enthusiasm about Thomas Jefferson or the Industrial Revolution, they're left with a blank look on their faces and are quick to change the subject -- preferring instead to talk about topics like fashion.

I was in Boston exactly a month ago. I had a great time wandering the streets and experiencing it. Did the bus tours as well as walked many, many miles all over the place. I think you have a rose colored version of Boston that's not accurate at all.

It's basically a bunch of smug college kids and social justice warriors - mixed in with a very poor, drugged out and ghetto crowd. Young kids with no life experience who think they are much smarter and intellectual than they are. Did you visit the commons? A group that looks to be from a day care with 20 little 5 year olds playing in the grass..... literally 50 ft away some drugged out homeless people booty dancing and smoking dope. Even the monuments are littered with disrespectful trashy people.

You want to sit and enjoy some wine and read a book? What makes you think South Florida has nothing like that?

You may get along with all the bookish intellectual people in these other cities, it might be your "thing" - and hey, that's cool, but I don't think your rose colored versions are all that accurate.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 PM

400 posts, read 515,575 times
Yes, apples and avocados, although Boston and Washington D.C. have nice springs and summers the rest of the year is more of an indoors environment, while Miami and surrounding areas are definitely an outdoors environment all year round, and of course you can bring a book, NOOK, Kindle, etc. to the beach but there may be more of a walk around, lounge, watch people, be watched attitude.
Yet we have a beautiful art centers, Adrienne Arsht, New World Symphony, Miami-Dade College facilities all over. And yep, places for wine and books right on Calle Ocho (OK, BNBR it is South West 8th Street) or, anyone tried Cafe at Books & Books?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:05 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
where are you hanging out?....I've never had a hard time meeting intelligent and high achievers in Miami Beach--especially in SoFi and Sunset Harbour--or Brickell, a financial center.....funny, I feel the same way as the OP--but doing so living in San Diego...not when I visit (and hopefully move to, when I get an acceptable offer on my condo, to) Miami.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:53 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,804 times
"Brain drain" in South Florida is real, and is one reason we have trouble attracting top companies offering high paying jobs. It's a vicious cycle. Getting better, perhaps, slowly. As mentioned above, you gotta hang out in the right places, which are generally not the nightlife and tourist hot spots. Stay away from the party crowds (a bit hard to do in Miami, for sure). In the end, yes, DC or Boston may be more your cup of tea, and sounds like it may be best to make the move at this stage of your lives.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:

I lived in Miami for a number of years before returning to NYC. Yes, I agree with you in that Miami is a bit more "shallow" in terms of culture. It is more of a part sort of place. It is very different from the North East, that is for sure. Whether that is good or bad depends on what you view as important in life.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 PM

240 posts, read 262,013 times
Latinos and books is like saying Cats love to be in the water ... Lol.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Totally dude, Boston is more intellectual. You gave us Marky Mark and the funky Bunch, we gave you Vanilla Ice

Vanilla is nicer though, he never left anybody blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9909uexu8

Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:

Of course it's true, talk to people in Miami about politics, ethics, finances, world events, it's a blank stare, mention Rick Ross or Future and they go insane. I've met many kids from Boston in Montreal and they know their stuff, i had fun talking to them at conferences about politics and economics. Cities like Montreal and Boston are top 10 world cities for universities and both cities are very intellectual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami