Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM

74 posts, read 619,636 times

Advertisements

Everyone on the forum keeps saying how rude people in Miami are. Is that reflected in the service at restaurants in Miami?

I figured if you had rude servers that it would equal poor tips and people would wise up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I haven't been to Miami in a little while but when I eat out in the Ft. Lauderdale area I would say in most places service is actually very good...better than most places...I honestly don't have any restaurant stories, although bad service can and does strike anywhere (because it has more to do with the establishment than the city), which is why I'm surprised I haven't really had any. That being said if you frequent those gawd-awful chains you will get bad service here, but that's true anywhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
I think the service is definitely slower in Miami than in post places. I always have to wait forever to get anything, unless it's at a top-notch place. But, I think the slow-moving mentality is a Miami thing for sure...no one ever gets in much of a hurry to do anything!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Service is overall pretty decent,it can be bad at anytime,anywhere but it's usually fine.Usually the diners are more rude than the servers,servers are working for their tips!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
On the flip side, I've worked as a server in a few restaurants in my area. I've found many customers to be more rude than I am accustomed to. I've been treated pretty poorly. Many have no manners to speak of and lack knowledge on proper tippping on great service. Several customers I've had, can't afford to be dining out to begin with. It's pretty obvious when they start questioning pricing on the menu and want to negotiate???? "well, if I don't want the salad, will you take $5 off the meal?"

WHAT???? There's a MickyD's right down the street, they have a dollar menu!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 PM

96 posts, read 366,079 times
Service isn't terrible, depends a lot on the place.

One thing to watch out for - at least on Miami Beach, they automatically add the tip in so be careful not to double tip.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:53 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
I think the servers are actually very nice, and service is pretty good in most places.

The people I find rude are medical office staff. I don't know if this is common all over, but I have never dealt with worse service than from medical offices. They turn off all the phones between 12-2pm, you always have to leave a message on the machine once you can get through, and half the time they dont call you back. They insist that you pick up referrals *during their limited office hours) - god forbid they have to fax or put a stamp on something - they just won't.

S Florida is NOT a good place to be sick. I have waited HOURS in offices for a scheduled appointment after having waited weeks and MONTHS for the appointment in the first place. Everything people complain about Canadian healthcare (which is free) is true in Broward. MRIS, ultrasounds, mammograms, can take 3-6 months.

I guess I should have started a topic on this - I think I got carried away in my frustration!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 AM

96 posts, read 366,079 times
Fauve - you are so right!!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:46 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,771 times
I find servers and restaurant employees to all be very nice. Of course, you always have the occasional bad experience (but where do you not), but overall I'd rate Miami's service pretty good.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
I don't eat out much but when I do I find the service to be acceptable and much higher than other service related areas in Miami. The biggest problem with service I've had in Miami is getting someone to show up. It doesn't matter if it is a repairman coming to your house or getting a sales clerk to help you in a store. With a waiter that problem is eliminated because they always come to your table. The other big problem with service in Miami is finding someone who speaks English. I've never had that problem in a restaurant either. So, with those two problems out of the picture my feeling is that the service in restaurants is far above the service I'm used to (in the rest of Miami).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami