Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM

696 posts, read 905,092 times

Advertisements

Are you guys mad at the governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY? And he said this after the storm showed it would not hit south florida and people were playing on the beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
The politicians always play it safe. Many people ignore orders and warnings knowing this. It takes common sense to know that if you are in a vulnerable place, you need to evacuate. The problem is if the storm veers closer to the state, it would be the end of a politicians career if it had been downplayed. But if it is hyped, the politician shows off how efficient the emergency operations "work". Most people can make their own reasonable judgement calls nowadays with all the information available online, stronger buildings, etc. The dire warnings seem overdone in most cases.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
The politicians always play it safe. Many people ignore orders and warnings knowing this. It takes common sense to know that if you are in a vulnerable place, you need to evacuate. The problem is if the storm veers closer to the state, it would be the end of a politicians career if it had been downplayed. But if it is hyped, the politician shows off how efficient the emergency operations "work". Most people can make their own reasonable judgement calls nowadays with all the information available online, stronger buildings, etc. The dire warnings seem overdone in most cases.
It's good to be prepared but his "you will die" comment was just fear mongering and unnecessary.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
How many threads you going to create on this?

The "you will die" are for the idiots out there, that way no misinterpretations can be made from it, kind of like the "no swimming" sign issue at Disney.

As I stated on the other thread, a smart person does not need any warning/advice, they can just look at the weather and know what to do. These dire and direct warnings are for the idiots out there. Look at Katrina, despite even door-to-door warnings, many epople stayed, including even slamming the door on the people going around warning.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How many threads you going to create on this?

The "you will die" are for the idiots out there, that way no misinterpretations can be made from it, kind of like the "no swimming" sign issue at Disney.

As I stated on the other thread, a smart person does not need any warning/advice, they can just look at the weather and know what to do. These dire and direct warnings are for the idiots out there. Look at Katrina, despite even door-to-door warnings, many epople stayed, including even slamming the door on the people going around warning.
When you go around saying "you will die" people will ignore future warning like with katrina. Boy who cried wolf.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
When you go around saying "you will die" people will ignore future warning like with katrina. Boy who cried wolf.
Like I said, it is so it leaves out misinterpretation. The "no swimming" sign at Disney should have been pretty self explanatory, but yet as we saw, "no swimming" to some people meant no Olympic style swimming, not prohibiting from going into the water.

So in this case, if the governor said something like "please evacuate, there is a chance you might get injured or killed", some people will just interpret this in the most idiotic way, even comparing it to the chance of hitting the lottery or hit by a meteor.

He is reaching out to the idiots of the world, the ones that think "no swimming" means just not doing the butterfly stroke, not staying out of the damn water.

Smart people do not need these warnings, and he is not talking to those people. A smart person can look at the weather models and make a determination on what to do.

Also, it has not even hit yet, so I do not see why you are even criticizing him right now. It missed SE FL, and we were in the far west cone of uncertainty, but the central coast so far is right in the middle of it.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Like I said, it is so it leaves out misinterpretation. The "no swimming" sign at Disney should have been pretty self explanatory, but yet as we saw, "no swimming" to some people meant no Olympic style swimming, not prohibiting from going into the water.

So in this case, if the governor said something like "please evacuate, there is a chance you might get injured or killed", some people will just interpret this in the most idiotic way, even comparing it to the chance of hitting the lottery or hit by a meteor.

He is reaching out to the idiots of the world, the ones that think "no swimming" means just not doing the butterfly stroke, not staying out of the damn water.

Smart people do not need these warnings, and he is not talking to those people. A smart person can look at the weather models and make a determination on what to do.

Also, it has not even hit yet, so I do not see why you are even criticizing him right now. It missed SE FL, and we were in the far west cone of uncertainty, but the central coast so far is right in the middle of it.
There was not a no swimming sign at Disney world, they added it after that kid got eaten.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
There was not a no swimming sign at Disney world, they added it after that kid got eaten.
Uh no, there was a no swimming sign there. Disney gator attack: 2-year-old Nebraska boy found dead - CNN.com

"There are "No Swimming" signs at the lagoon, and no one but the child was in the water at the time of the attack, Demings said."

And the people I know who have been there have stated there are no swimming signs there.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 PM

253 posts, read 434,324 times
Scott won two very tight elections and only due to situational influence. If he had run either time in a 50/50 national environment instead of a tilt favoring his side he never would have managed that office, or anything close to it.

In crisis situations like this he can present himself forcefully and elevate his stature. I'm not questioning his sincerity but I guarantee he realizes it is the ideal vehicle to bump his popularity and at least briefly set aside all the accompanying issues like taking the 5th so many times. People in other states don't know about that. They see the governor of Florida on stage day after day on the cable networks and he comes across as caring and detailed.

In short, it's the ideal vehicle or him, particularly if he has other aspirations like senate. No kidding he's going to slant to the high end, as opposed to being cautious or allowing local politicians to own the airwaves and the spotlight.

I don't like the guy but I'm not really critical of him for emphasizing evacuation, even if admittedly I click away early every time Scott is on. As a very young kid I saw the power of hurricanes when Betsy blew two big planes completely off the property at Miami International. I'll never forget that. We used to watch the planes take off and land every Sunday night, and then get an ice cream. After bizarre-path Betsy we went to that area and there were two planes blown through a fence that was the MIA property line, across a shallow stretch of water, and leaning precariously. This is on the south side near the current Shula Expressway. As a first grader I was wide eyed and stunned. They weren't small private planes. They were midsize at worst. I checked online a few years ago and there was a mention on the Betsy Wikipedia page. They were listed as twin-engine cargo planes. Sounds about right. From Betsy forth I've always defaulted to being cautious regarding hurricanes, particularly the higher category versions.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Are you guys mad at the governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY? And he said this after the storm showed it would not hit south florida and people were playing on the beaches.
Maybe he should have said "you might lose your life" since the words "you will die" were much too strong. OTOH, I am so sick of people ignoring mandatory evacuations and then crying for help when they're stranded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: