Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Woah man, did I give you any disrespectful, condescending comments about you living in Hialeah? Most of us don't live in Hialeah, Lauderhill or Flagami . Good luck in safe and secure LAWRENCE (lol) Massachusetts. Face it buddy, if you live in a bad neighborhood and so do your friends, your likely going to hear about or experience crime and if you live in a good neighborhood you might not.

Also, check this out.

armed robbery - Google News
murder - Google News
burglary - Google News
auto theft - Google News
rape - Google News

It happens...and the south FL region AS A WHOLE does not rank in the top 25 most dangerous (Miami-Dade is, but Palm Beach is around the 60th most dangerous and Broward is not even in the top 100), meaning there are worse places among that. That doesn't mean crimes aren't occurring, just means some areas are crap, some areas are good like anywhere else.
Look at what is happening in Boca Raton at Boca Town Center. Can happen anywhere. Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade.

I have friends that live in Manalapan in Palm Beach County and I don't think that I agree that Palm Beach County is unsafe. Maybe some areas. That can be said for any city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Quote:
sure is easy to say living in weston
I live in the Coral Springs area, but even though my city is safe, it bothers me that I can't LEAVE my city without an uprise in crime. It's a good thing there's a lot to do in Coral Springs, but seriously....Westin, Coral Springs, and Parkland...are these all that's left in safe areas?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I live in the Coral Springs area, but even though my city is safe, it bothers me that I can't LEAVE my city without an uprise in crime. It's a good thing there's a lot to do in Coral Springs, but seriously....Westin, Coral Springs, and Parkland...are these all that's left in safe areas?
Actually the whole county is still at least fairly safe (not crime free, and neither if Weston or Utopia, NC) west of University Dr (lets list em:Tamarac, Margate, Coconut Creek, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and Miramar) and it's not like you are going to get murdered driving to the beach or other destinations east where it is also fine...there has been major crime going on for a while in Deerfield, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderhill, etc...and that hasn't really changed, and neither has the dividing line. And the Boca case happened to three people out of god knows how many people that pass through, and if anyone saw the report, the guy targeted specifically women wearing european-style sneakers, driving a black SUV, and with children, indicating the guy had some kind of mental illness. Anywhere where you have a human population you are going to have that 1% minority that is insane in this regard.

We need to get some of you guys working for the local news. Some of you are really great with shock value. Other metro areas have similar crime problems but you just wont see people whining and moaning about them (not specifically referring the OP or anyone else here) and "telling the truth" like you do here.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-26-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Quote:
We need to get some of you guys working for the local news. Some of you are really great with shock value.
You never fail to make me laugh. LMAO

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Sunny Isles is very nice....upscale and right on the water. These crimes will not stop until we get guns outlawed in this country. But that's a whole other subject....
Statistics have shown an inverse relation between tight gun control laws and violent crime. In other words, where gun control laws are tightest there is the higest crime (like Washington DC) but where gun owners enjoy the boradest freedom of the second ammendment there is the lowest crime.

Rather than punishing law-abiding gun-owners in an unconstitutional way it would be better to punish criminals in a way that ensured they would never repat their crime. Mandatory death penalty for murders and drug dealers. Other countries that have the death penalty for drug dealers/users don't have drug problems. Also, gang afiliation should be automatic grounds for transferal to an island penal colony in the Pacific. We don't need their scum infesting our cities.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Statistics have shown an inverse relation between tight gun control laws and violent crime. In other words, where gun control laws are tightest there is the higest crime (like Washington DC) but where gun owners enjoy the boradest freedom of the second ammendment there is the lowest crime.

Rather than punishing law-abiding gun-owners in an unconstitutional way it would be better to punish criminals in a way that ensured they would never repat their crime. Mandatory death penalty for murders and drug dealers. Other countries that have the death penalty for drug dealers/users don't have drug problems. Also, gang afiliation should be automatic grounds for transferal to an island penal colony in the Pacific. We don't need their scum infesting our cities.
I don't necessarily disagree with all of your statements. There's alot of factors that contribute to crime (economy, gun laws, socio-economic, lack of individual responsiblity) but IMO I don't see why handguns are necessary to have.

Or maybe Chris Rock is right...we shouldn't outlaw guns, just enact a law where bullets cost 1 million dollars each so no one can shoot anyone.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 337,929 times
Quote:
These crimes will not stop until we get guns outlawed in this country. But that's a whole other subject....

its a proven fact that on average, 1 out of every 60 people in Florida has a gun, making Florida the gun capital of America (i.e. the GUNshine state)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with all of your statements. There's alot of factors that contribute to crime (economy, gun laws, socio-economic, lack of individual responsiblity) but IMO I don't see why handguns are necessary to have.
The reason laws can never be the answer to gun crime is that anyone who is willing to use a gun to kill someone will ignore all other laws as well. Laws are only restrictive on the people who will obey those laws. Ciminals won't so it is pointless to enact new laws that they will also ignore.

To answer your thought of why handguns might be necessary to have-- because criminals already have them.

Last edited by rogerbacon; 03-07-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I cannot see how outlawing guns can stop crime. Even if guns were never invented, there would still be swords, daggers, bow and arrow, poison, clubs and various modern devices. All my friends collect guns- hunting and going to the gun range to shoot at targets are legitimate sports. Communists and fascists want to disarm the citizens. No one has ever compared the amount of lives saved by guns to those lost. Since criminals already have guns, how can disarmed citizens be safe?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Crime

I work right across from the mall and have for years; never felt unsafe. This individual was in the wrong place/wrong time - what happened was horrible, senseless, disgusting and has paralyzed a lot of us.

Use common sense: If you are alone, valet park. Is your life worth $3?

Crime can happen anywhere. This mall apparently is an easy target right off I95.

I am always careful; always letting someone know where I am, where I am headed. Never had a crime incident and I hope I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami