Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times

Advertisements

seems to be worse and worse.
The whole Boca mall incident is now being considered a serial killer and they are taking extra precautions at Coral Square as well.
Then there was a random shooting in Deerfield yesterday. A 14 yr old girl in a car was hit in the head with a bullet.
I'm used to hearing stuff with Miami all of the time, but now it seems like
more things bad are moving out of Miami and closer to my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
It is getting worse...I read newspapers from around the country when I couldn't sleep last night and it's getting worse everywhere...I honestly don't know where there is to escape...I mean, 10 years ago, it was worse than it is now, it's only got better until the past year or so. It's a natural cycle, crime goes up and down...if we aren't dodging bullets in our own neighborhoods, then I honestly don't know what else we can do about it. It's not exactly to the point where you go outside and it's anarchy...yet.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Crime is everywhere. I live here in Charlotte NC and we had a 12 year old get shot & killed at a birthday party and yesterday a murder in a cell phone store. We have probably already had over 20 murders this year. Gangs & drugs are to blame. Charlotte is not as big as Miami but we now have 2,124,013 people in the metro area. Not that small. Charlotte has boomed and along with growth comes crime.

Thinking about moving to Sunny Isles. Love that area of Miami Beach. Still seems pretty safe. Coming down in 29 days to scope the area out.

What do some of you local people think about Sunny Isles. Not interested in anywhere inland. NO reason to move to Florida unless you live on the beach and can see it everyday.

THANKS!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Sunny Isles is very nice....upscale and right on the water. These crimes will not stop until we get guns outlawed in this country. But that's a whole other subject....

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
These crimes will not stop until we get guns outlawed in this country. But that's a whole other subject....
Do you REALLY want to see anarchy? Let the average citizen in Broward County not be able to carry a concealed weapon while criminals keep on obtaining them illegally. Remember the armed robbery at that Subway sandwich store in Plantation where the good Samaritan shot the robber? Way more incidents are prevented like that than you would ever hear about on the news. The only REAL solution is to legalize "illegal" substances such as cannabis that the people who want it are going to get their hands on anyway, since the waves of violence in Broward and Palm Beach County have largely been related to the drug trade, although yes drug users do play a part in some of the robberies occurring in central Palm Beach County and east Broward. Maybe if so much tax money was not wasted on cannabis and other "soft" drugs that won't "harm" society any more than they already are, local and international police might have more resources to work with in eliminating the trade of truly destructive hard drugs.

Now, gun ownership as protection for your HOUSE is pure BS. Because if you aren't home (which is when someone is actually going to break into your house), your Smith and Wesson is just another thing for a burglar to steal and use as a home invasion tool later on. Yes, it's true that some of these criminals stole their guns in burglaries but the solution to that is to take your gun with you and most criminals obtained them through a more violent trade similar to the current drug trade.

Don't get me wrong, I wish guns never existed, but as long as they exist, prohibiting them is going to do nothing to reduce gun crime since most of these violent incidents in South Florida are by people who obtained them illegally. Also, notice the biggest spikes in gun crime in the state have been in Broward which according to City-Data's top 101 lists has one of the lowest gun ownerships in the country amongst a state with one of the highest ownership rates. Yes the overall crime/murder rate used to be lower in Broward than the other urban counties but look, that's changing as criminals start obtaining them illegally.

Bottom line, the solution is a crackdown on the ILLEGAL gun trade, because prohibition of guns ain't gonna work unless you totally seize manufacturing of them and destroy all current guns. And no, I'm actually not a gun owner, nor do I use cannabis.

One thing that I do have to say about the Boca case is that the guy is mentally insane and that could of happened ANYWHERE. However, I bet if these mothers were armed, this would have never happened to them and maybe the guy would have been captured much sooner.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-26-2008 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It is getting worse...I read newspapers from around the country when I couldn't sleep last night and it's getting worse everywhere...I honestly don't know where there is to escape...I mean, 10 years ago, it was worse than it is now, it's only got better until the past year or so. It's a natural cycle, crime goes up and down...if we aren't dodging bullets in our own neighborhoods, then I honestly don't know what else we can do about it. It's not exactly to the point where you go outside and it's anarchy...yet.
bad economy = more crime. You are right, there is no escaping this.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
WSVN-TV - Local News - Officials warn university after mall murders

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Yes the crime in South Florida is on the rise. One of my complaints I have said for the last year. As long as the economy continues the way it is going, the crime will continue to rise.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
sure is easy to say living in weston

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
sure is easy to say living in weston
Woah man, did I give you any disrespectful, condescending comments about you living in Hialeah? Most of us don't live in Hialeah, Lauderhill or Flagami . Good luck in safe and secure LAWRENCE (lol) Massachusetts. Face it buddy, if you live in a bad neighborhood and so do your friends, your likely going to hear about or experience crime and if you live in a good neighborhood you might not.

Also, check this out.

armed robbery - Google News
murder - Google News
burglary - Google News
auto theft - Google News
rape - Google News

It happens...and the south FL region AS A WHOLE does not rank in the top 25 most dangerous (Miami-Dade is, but Palm Beach is around the 60th most dangerous and Broward is not even in the top 100), meaning there are worse places among that. That doesn't mean crimes aren't occurring, just means some areas are crap, some areas are good like anywhere else.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-26-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: in addition...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami