Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:04 AM

170 posts, read 450,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I lived in the Redlands close enough to Homestead. Its changed a lot for the better the last 10 years.
It has? I what way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
It has? I what way?

New construction, more middle class people, more stores, restaurants, upgrades to the parks, the addition of the speedway....... Citizens of Homestead (within the city limits....not the Redland, etc) have great services: bulk trash pick-up on a weekly basis, our own electric company = quick fixes after storms, etc. An example: I called about a water leak near my water meter: within 15 minutes 3 guys (all English speaking) showed up and within 30 minutes I had a new water meter. Try to have that happen in unincorporated Miami-Dade County!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The Redlands and any area with large lots never went downhill and never will. It is the apartments, duplexes and zero-lot homes that always become cesspools because those people simply do not care. The good news is that when the real estate bubble deflates it will flush out investors and stop the building of future ghettoes. A full fledged depression will revitalize agriculture and it would not surprise me to see some of the sites cleared for development revert back to farming. In a hyperinflationary environment farming is the only profitable use for land besides mining.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM

That's good news guys. Thanks. We have a home in the Redlands off Naranja Road. I guess that's the Redlands too. Or is it Naranja? It's near Redlands elementary and junior high school. Is that school still there? lol. It's been awhile since we've been down there.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
That's good news guys. Thanks. We have a home in the Redlands off Naranja Road. I guess that's the Redlands too. Or is it Naranja? It's near Redlands elementary and junior high school. Is that school still there? lol. It's been awhile since we've been down there.
That's definitely the Redlands. Naranja is on the other side of US1. Your house isn't located too close to any "bad" areas.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Redland Elem they tore down and built a brand new school where the PE/basket ball courts were. The Middle school is still there.

Yes that is the Redlands, what part of Naranja is your home on? At the end where Naranja meets 264 st they have built an apartment complex for low income housing. A developer has bought land east of Naranja on the north and south side of 260st and plans on building a huge low income project there. Many of the home owners in the area have started thinking about putting their homes on the market, before they start to build. Thank goodness the economy is the way it is or else that developer would be building already.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Is 264th street Old Dixie Hwy or Baur Drive? I saw that monstrosity they were building on the corner of of Old Dixie Hwy where Fuchs Orchids use to be. It was this past summer when we went down there on a family emergency. Do you know that field on 256st and Naranja Rd? Is that going to be developed or stay a field?

Why are they building so many low income apartments? I thought the Redlands was changing for the better.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I think 264th is Bauer.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Is 264th street Old Dixie Hwy or Baur Drive? I saw that monstrosity they were building on the corner of of Old Dixie Hwy where Fuchs Orchids use to be. It was this past summer when we went down there on a family emergency. Do you know that field on 256st and Naranja Rd? Is that going to be developed or stay a field?

Why are they building so many low income apartments? I thought the Redlands was changing for the better.
Its Bauer and not sure what that little street is that connects to Old Dixie is. Yes that is the field they want to develope and on the nursury and field next to MCR lumber. The developer owns most of it, not all of it yet. The Cavier place isn't selling. The developer owns the nursery on 260th east of naranja and most of that field between 256 and 260.

Why are they building these low income buildings, well, when the county commissioners agreed to build the bus way there was a stipulation that they had to build low income housing close to the bus way. Well this wasn't announced to everyone 5 years ago or so. People that live in HUD just on the other side of US1 showed up in support for this, but the people in the Redlands were not aware of this. Sadly the commissioner for the people in the Redlands voted for this, so I know she will have lost any future votes from the people located in this area.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Because section 8 waiting list has more than 60,000 names and they want to build everywhere they can. I wonder how many people are actually getting the vouchers already. This is bad bad news. This city is going nowhere.

Miami-Dade County - Public Housing Agency (http://www.miamidade.gov/housing/waitlist.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami