Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM

464 posts, read 1,357,883 times

Advertisements

I agree to what schipol is saying about being capable to do a job...but people here tend to be picky and choicy....not giving a fair shake to the ones who may have skills, but dont speak that particular language.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM

87 posts, read 307,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Depends on your definition of diverse.

For me, you MUST have some kind of decent ASIAN representation with the multitudes of ethnicities AND restaurants AND neighborhoods that are representative of them.

In Southern Florida, that entire part of the world just doesn't exist much. But if Spanish, English and Haitian-French and African-American cultures represented the entire world, than Miami would be multicultural numbero uno (1).
Multi-cultural means "many cultures." If you have a house that's painted three distinct colors, that's a multi-colored house.

Pan-cultural or maybe omni-cultural would cover a broader spectrum.

We're multi-cultural, but we're not pan-cultural.

The point isn't what your or my definition is, anyway. What's a demographer gonna say.

Mir

Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 PM

176 posts, read 645,518 times
I know that black neighborhood..how about the one near SW 124 st and S Dixie....in addition to which there is a townhome community on a now defunct golf course by the name of hidden bay which is almost exclusively WHITE...behind gates now.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,331,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Hispanics in Miami seem th think Miami is diverse because they see the differences between Cuban, Dominican, Colombian, etc. White non-hispanics don't see that so we tend to think Miami is not very diverse-- just Hispanic. Whatever. I don't think it would alter my life either way. I just wish people were less rude.

I am Cuban American myself I dont see Miami as being diverse at all its mostly Hispanics yes from different countries different complexions,etc but still Hispanic.
I live in Doral I dont think there is anyone here who is not Hispanic . I havent gone around knocking on doors lol but I have noticed that I havent spoken English once since I got here .

I see Hispanics as like the American Indians different tribes but still Indians granted the tribes dislike and like each other same as us. Thankfully many dont get into that stupidity.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 AM

655 posts, read 2,179,398 times
I do think South Florida is diverse - there are people from all walks of life over there, and that's what makes it special.

And in regards to the comments regarding the 'overwhelming' Hispanic majority in Miami-Dade - it all depends on how one looks at it. If you want to group all Hispanics together, then sure, it's homogenous. But if you open your eyes and notice the difference between each and every race, you'll see that it is indeed diverse.

Just my two cents...

Old 07-13-2008, 03:30 AM

NY city now thats diverse but I just dont see that in Miami. Yes Hispanic groups we are different but to me thats like saying American Indian tribes are diverse again yes different but still American Indian.
I myself just never the diversity here I heard so much about saw it in NY and CA but not here .

Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I do think South Florida is diverse - there are people from all walks of life over there, and that's what makes it special.

And in regards to the comments regarding the 'overwhelming' Hispanic majority in Miami-Dade - it all depends on how one looks at it. If you want to group all Hispanics together, then sure, it's homogenous. But if you open your eyes and notice the difference between each and every race, you'll see that it is indeed diverse.

Just my two cents...

The difference in your point of view is that the official government HERE is not interested in the sub categories of people who speak Spanish or any similar form of Spanish [or ancestry/race ] as a first language, demographically they are "Hispanic". Yes, there are tracking demographics about country of origin/ancestry but it's not a big driver for anything. For immigration into the US, yes maybe. It all depends on who's collecting the data and why.

I can tell you as a non-Hispanic, nobody cares about the differences among the groups of Hispanics except the people within those groups. We really could care less what the differences are between Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians, Cubans, Spaniards etc. Or even Puerto Ricans who enjoy a different legal status in the US.

In fact, by focusing and arguing about those "differences" you guys look like you are the less inclusive ones, not us. I've been trying to get the point for some time now, and all I end up doing is laughing saying "get a life". LOL

I'd love to know ONE example of how a person from one "Hispanic" country is diverse from a person from another "Hispanic" country? Dialect? Personality? These are not diverse qualities. Even speaking Portuguese versus the closely related Spanish doesn't make one bit of difference to a non-Hispanic, fyi. And they are both part of West Iberian anyway.

Your use of the term "race" is equally confusing to me. Are you saying that the sub categories of Hispanics are all different races? This seems to be another bone of contention with the group that wants to argue about the "differences" among Hispanics. Like a black Hispanic is different than a white Hispanic whatever....it's all silly to us non-Hispanics especially coming from up North where nobody has spent more than 1 minute of our lives even thinking about this issue which seems to be the main discussion of life in So Fl.

So much for the dream of "Melting Pot" in USA. The immigrants won't allow it LOL

It reminds me of living in Greece where every summer my family was mad at a different family member and we always laugh and say they have a village mentality and there's nothing else to complain about so they focus on small crap, like "cousin Pete is dating Lisa who is too old for him so we're not speaking to him anymore".

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-13-2008 at 03:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Citydata Miami 2005:

Races in Miami:
  • Hispanic (65.8%)
  • Black (22.3%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
  • Other race (5.4%)
  • Two or more races (4.7%)
  • American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

25.4% of residents of Miami speak English at home.

66.6% of residents speak Spanish at home (35% speak English very well, 19% speak English well, 24% speak English not well, 23% don't speak English at all).

7.4% of residents speak other Indo-European language at home (56% speak English very well, 23% speak English well, 18% speak English not well, 3% don't speak English at all).

0.3% of residents speak Asian or Pacific Island language at home (46% speak English very well, 30% speak English well, 18% speak English not well, 6% don't speak English at all).

0.3% of residents speak other language at home (73% speak English very well, 17% speak English well, 7% speak English not well, 3% don't speak English at all).

Foreign born population: 215,739 (59.5%) (41.6% of them are naturalized citizens)

Old 07-13-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The difference in your point of view is that the official government HERE is not interested in the sub categories of people who speak Spanish or any similar form of Spanish as a first language, demographically they are "Hispanic". Yes, there are tracking demographics about country of origin/ancestry but it's not a big driver for anything. For immigration into the US, yes maybe. It all depends on who's collecting the data and why.

I can tell you as a non-Hispanic, nobody cares about the differences among the groups of Hispanics except the people within those groups. We really could care less what the differences are between Mexicans, Colombians, Cubans, Spaniards etc. Or even Puerto Ricans who enjoy a different legal status in the US.

In fact, by focusing and arguing about those "differences" you guys look like you are the less inclusive ones, not us. I've been trying to get the point for some time now, and all I end up doing is laughing saying "get a life". LOL

I'd love to know ONE example of how a person from one "Hispanic" country is diverse from a person from another "Hispanic" country? Dialect? Personality? These are not diverse qualities. Even speaking Portuguese versus the closely related Spanish doesn't make one bit of difference to a non-Hispanic, fyi. And they are both part of West Iberian anyway.

Your use of the term "race" is equally confusing to me. Are you saying that the sub categories of Hispanics are all different races? This seems to be another bone of contention with the group that wants to argue about the "differences" among Hispanics. Like a black Hispanic is different than a white Hispanic whatever....it's all silly to us non-Hispanics especially coming from up North where nobody has spent more than 1 minute of our lives even thinking about this issue which seems to be the main discussion of life in So Fl.

So much for the dream of "Melting Pot" in USA. The immigrants won't allow it LOL

It reminds me of living in Greece where every summer my family was mad at a different family member and we always laugh and say they have a village mentality and there's nothing else to complain about so they focus on small crap, like "cousin Pete is dating Lisa who is too old for him so we're not speaking to him anymore".
---------------
"So much for the dream of "Melting Pot" in USA. The immigrants won't allow it LOL"

I understand what your saying but its not that we wont allow it its simply that Latin America comes to Miami/ South Florida.

I live in Doral if I didnt speak Spanish fluently I would have a brutal time and would have left by now. I used to live in PA .

Thus in time I would leave no one forced me to leave in the true sense but there would come a point I would say enough of this.

If you want to say the politicians here have a vested interest in people NOT speaking English thus they wont look at other candidates ,atleast limited choices than I agree.

If you want to say the Hispanic media has the same interest as they do not want to lose viewers than I also agree.
The immigrants are simply coming here most speak Spanish and no real reason to learn English as they simply dont have to .
Even bilingual Hispanics who come from other states stay for awhile realize its not for them and go somewhere else.

People will do what they can ,take the easiest path thats just human nature in Miami no real need to learn English . Yes this is N.America and English is our language but if you dont have to than you dont have to .
Is it wrong because it divides the country and its disrespectfull to a country that has given you a home ? . Yes IMO it is but reality is reality .

Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 PM

483 posts, read 1,542,167 times
Talking spanish is realy where the hispanics stop sharing ties but even then they talk different, thats like saying we talk the same as the irish or british. They are different cultures, different foods,, differen music. Miami is overloaded with different cultures thats sadly y'all don't see. South America is extremely diverse from peachy white to a japanese brazilian. Besides the hispanics Miami still has the different carribean nations, jamaicans, haitians, bahamians which is another ethinically diverse area that is present all over Miami. Miami also seems to have more western europeans than I ever saw in LA or anywhere else Ive lived. And if you really look you can find somebody from just around the world. But of course Miami is not on the levels of NY or LA, those cities are historically diverse, Miami saw a change in demographic as little as 40 years ago and probaly not till the 80's did other people from around the world notice Miami. But to say Miami is just not diverse just seems beyond ludicrous and incomprehensible to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami