Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM

70 posts, read 243,562 times

Advertisements

SE florida......like Fort Lauderdale down.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Not south of the Golden Glades (North Miami, NMB are pretty diverse) or north of the Broward County line (with exceptions, like west Boynton, Royal Palm Beach), or east of US1 (with few exceptions like Miami Beach). Also parts of Ft. Lauderdale proper and Hollywood are quite segregated. I would say that west and parts of east Broward, South Dade, parts of unincorporated Palm Beach County, and NE Dade are diverse, while other parts are segregated and not diverse, with Dade County in particular being very segregated. There are some cities like Pembroke Pines that are among the most diverse I have seen for suburban type cities. It's not exactly like all of South Florida is a "Hispanic" monoculture.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
This is one of the more diverse areas I have lived in next to Washington, D.C.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM

94 posts, read 200,543 times
If your defination of "diverse" is having Hispanics from many different countries make up the majority or near majority of the population. Then yes South Florida is diverse...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Broward County does not even have a single Hispanic dominated community even south of Ft. Lauderdale (let's see, Hollywood is mostly white although parts are a total melting pot, Pembroke Pines lacks a majority but whites dominate, and they even have Asians out there so that's diverse, Miramar is black dominant with no majority, Weston is white dominant with no majority, Davie is solidly white majority, Cooper City is solidly white majority). Yes there is a large "Hispanic" population since you all consider it a race but the most "Hispanic" city is Weston and even there non-Hispanic groups dominate (mostly white not of Hispanic origin), and there are blacks, Asian Indians, Brazilians (to the wonderfully ignorant crowd here, they don't speak Spanish so they aren't Hispanic) and the county as a whole is white dominated with blacks in second place, and Hispanic are in a not that distant third and they generally live amongst each other, so I guess that makes it diverse. Also NE Dade is plenty diverse, although yes south of the Golden Glades it becomes what the above poster described and it becomes segregated until you get to South Dade.

Oh, and Fort Lauderdale proper was 11.2% Hispanic versus a 14.8% national average, although it can tend to be segregated there. Also, use this website to look up any other city/county and research away!
Fort Lauderdale city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Such a race obsession on here especially with "Hispanics" whom aren't even a race. Wonder why this thread didn't get deleted if I got mine deleted for trying to get some basic, non personal background information though a poll. Yet this total ignorance is allowed.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-27-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

230 posts, read 666,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Broward County does not even have a single Hispanic dominated community even south of Ft. Lauderdale (let's see, Hollywood is mostly white although parts are a total melting pot, Pembroke Pines lacks a majority but whites dominate, and they even have Asians out there so that's diverse, Miramar is black dominant with no majority, Weston is white dominant with no majority, Davie is solidly white majority, Cooper City is solidly white majority). Yes there is a large "Hispanic" population since you all consider it a race but the most "Hispanic" city is Weston and even there non-Hispanic groups dominate (mostly white not of Hispanic origin), and there are blacks, Asian Indians, Brazilians (to the wonderfully ignorant crowd here, they don't speak Spanish so they aren't Hispanic) and the county as a whole is white dominated with blacks in second place, and Hispanic are in a not that distant third and they generally live amongst each other, so I guess that makes it diverse. Also NE Dade is plenty diverse, although yes south of the Golden Glades it becomes what the above poster described and it becomes segregated until you get to South Dade.

Oh, and Fort Lauderdale proper was 11.2% Hispanic versus a 14.8% national average, although it can tend to be segregated there. Also, use this website to look up any other city/county and research away!
Fort Lauderdale city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Such a race obsession on here especially with "Hispanics" whom aren't even a race. Wonder why this thread didn't get deleted if I got mine deleted for trying to get some basic, non personal background information though a poll. Yet this total ignorance is allowed.

Hi Compelled,

The reason you had it deleted it was because the "squeaky mousy" person who deleted it has no knowledge of what she is speaking of. Afterall, what does a person know about ethnic diversity when they live in "Beautiful Tennesse" yet has an obsession with monitoring the Miami threads. I have read some of Tenn. posts...need I say more.

P.S. No I do not think by "big" city standards South Florida is very diverse when comparing it to cities like NY, but in fairness it certainly is "extremely" diverse when comparing it to say places like ummm.....Chattanooga! LOL

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
110% hispanic....sounds diverse....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM

471 posts, read 850,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
110% hispanic....sounds diverse....
Not true. Plenty of Europeans in Miami. More so than most other cities in the country.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I haven't seen any natural blondes in a while, so I guess diversity is not a correct term here.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 76,721 times
Yes, South Florida is very diverse compare to any city or county up north in florida.

Not just Hispanics or people that makes south Florida diverse, even business, food, clothing, sports, music etc. is not only football in Hollywood or KFC in Miramar, may I say..

However, any where you go you must know some Spanish so they don’t confuse you with a tourist! … Even for most employments you must be bilingual; Spanish/English is preferred!

Diversity is what makes south Florida the best place to be!

Last edited by sarasarita; 02-27-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami