Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:41 AM

874 posts, read 899,748 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm curious, what do you think are the top 3 positives and the top 3 negatives about living in Miami? Here are mine:

Positives
1) Weather
2) Great restaurants
3) The Beach

Negatives
1) Traffic
2) Cost of Housing
3) High Unemployment/Underemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Okay, so I'm curious, what do you think are the top 3 positives and the top 3 negatives about living in Miami? Here are mine:

Positives
1) Weather
2) Great restaurants
3) The Beach

Negatives
1) Traffic
2) Cost of Housing
3) High Unemployment/Underemployment

Positives

1) Warmth and water (i.e. weather).

2) No state income tax.

3) Cost of housing (c'mon Ann, Miami is still cheap compared, apples to apples, to almost every other major metro area around the world, and even traffic ain't that bad in comparison to some).

Negatives

1) Horrible restaurants (except my house).

2) Except the beach, the natural setting is not pretty at all, actually quite drab.

3) Lack of depth - economic, educational, cultural, architectural, artistic - but it's still very early days in the history of Miami, give it some time, another 100-300 years or so.

Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Positives:
Beautiful city with the diversity of palm trees and beautiful gulf stream waters
warm weather mostly year round
beautiful modern architecture along with art deco found in miami beach

negatives:

Too expensive

traffic can be a headache

under-utilized agriculturally

Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 AM

526 posts, read 376,638 times
I know Miami only from turist. In the last years I visited Miami several times and I have this opinion.

Weather: Wonderful all the time
The beach: you have a great beach long kilometers where to enjoy the sea.
Traffic: Terrible but not different from other big cities ( in Italy, Milano,Roma,Napoli...)
Cost of housing: Expensive, certainly it's Miami, You try to buy in Milano.
Restaurants: This topic is more complicated. I have often eaten badly, sometimes sufficently good and few times good. There is a much different between neighborhoods and sometimes I often ate better in the neighborhoods less affluent.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,040 times
Positives:

-Great weather
-Beaches
-Food
-Cultural diversity

Negatives:

-Traffic
-Many rude people
-Shallow
-Not a true sports town

Old 12-19-2016, 12:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8IZjNeE8M

Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Positives:
- The beaches
- Good options of things to do on weekend nights.
- Weather can be hit or miss. This year's weather was mostly great (virtually rain-free in the summer).

Negatives:
- Lack of diversity. The county is 65% Hispanic and the bulk of that is Cuban.
- High cost of living. Not just housing but also things like auto insurance and grocery prices.
- Superficiality. People living above their means. It's very typical to see a luxury car parked on the driveway of a small house.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Pros:
- Beaches
- Big Pink waffles
- Not many potholes

Cons:
- Too expensive
- Not diverse enough
- Lack of transportation
- Superficial/Fake people everywhere (SoBe + Wynwood especially)

Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Do we all have different definitions of "diversity"?

Old 12-20-2016, 02:06 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Do we all have different definitions of "diversity"?
Words are tools that come out of human beings' mouths, one at a time.

So, on that basis, yes, we can all have different definitions of "diversity".

Just yesterday, my son asked me what "humility" and "arrogant" mean. We looked them up, and the dictionary definitions lacked full meaning, in fact they were quite a way off the mark, so I supplied my own definition. Why should I trust the dictionary writers? Are they not human beings?

Anyway, in my view, this so-called "diversity" as it is widely used today is superficial, just a propaganda smokescreen. What matters in "depth". Miami lacks depth, but what do you expect after only one hundred years of history? It's a mere pittance. It's still very early days, give it time, maybe another hundred to three hundred years.

Another nitpicking topic, for the fun of it of course, I don't give credit to people who list "food" (or even restaurants) as one of the top aspects of quality of life in Miami: as perry335654 mentioned, the county's potential agricultural output is underutilized, and probably shrinking (in Broward it is all but eliminated), the vast majority of the food we eat here is imported from other regions of the state, the country and abroad. We basically eat the same things as anywhere else. What, cuban sandwiches, cuban coffee? Please.

Finally, I can understand that to people who rely on generating income in the local job market (that "depth" thing again) the cost of living seems expensive, but to people who come here from afar with big balance sheets, Miami is still a grand bargain compared to other major cities in the US and elsewhere, and such people have been driving Miami's economy over the past 15 years or so and will continue to do so over at least the next 15 years or so, like it or not.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 12-20-2016 at 03:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami