Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times

Advertisements

I voted "no" because of the effect more vacancies will have on house prices. House prices are just like anything else in the free market; they are determined by supply and demand. Since supply is already too high and there is not enough demand the worst thing we could do would be to increase supply even more. We need to tighten supply if we are to see a stabilization in house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
rogerbacon that makes no sense since these will be condos not homes, two totally different markets. Increased supply actually leads to lower prices not higher ones.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
We need to tighten supply if we are to see a stabilization in house prices.
So true, many people don't get that there is a connection between these condos and single family homes.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Umm, is it not better to have home prices fall?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Umm, is it not better to have home prices fall?
... said the guy who didn't buy last year.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,101 times
I vote NO for the towers. It is going to be harder to supply drinking water to all these new condo residences that we already have under construction as it is. The water pressure is going to go way down for the beach, since they are at the end of the line.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 AM

398 posts, read 1,409,272 times
I think those towers would look very beautiful; it will atract tourists, it will cause envy to other countries.

Developers don't build for today; they build for 5-10 years ahead; real state market is a roller coaster; is not even their money; money comes from big corporations, national or international, who at the same time invest for decades ahead; who pays the price? the average citizen, who cannot afford that today and if they do, they have the risk of not being able to pay the mortgage or the rent; but the fact is, if one of those costs 2 million, and half the building is empty, who cares; in 10-15 years they all will be full sold and each will cost 3 million; developers know that.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 108,515 times
Why not build the 1000 footers the tallest building is only 794 feet tall Miami could use a little more populairity even thought it's one of the best places i the world I vote yes because miami do need some more buildings Miami is really one of the few very large cities in the world without 1000 footers or at least a 800 footer miami tallest building is pretty close to 800 feet close is not good enough we need bigger and better skyscrapers we should build these towers so people could stop complaning about the condos and if the city has more office buildings it would get more people to move down here work and get the economy back on its feet

Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Why should you care how many vacant places are downtown and how long it will take to fill them? It's not your money, it's the developer's money. If the developer guesses wrong he, his investors, and the financing banks take a multi-hundred million dollar bath.
Because, like with numerous other "private" projects, a combination of incentives, grants, and loans end up funneling their way into a private developers hands.

And when the project goes belly up, the gov usually ends up stepping in one form or another, even if it is deferring tax payments for years when someone with a more practical plan could have made use of the area.

Private industry as shown itself to be in much favor of gov sponsored incentives in any form. So when a huge project like this comes to town, with an obvious bad plan, you bet I am concern and should have my say in it.

If people in Coral Gables can tell me what kind of car to park in my own driveway, I can be darn sure I can have a say if someone is going to build a monstrous structure that I deem is based on a speculative and bad business plan (think Parr0t Island, stadium, etc).

Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami skyline View Post
Why not build the 1000 footers the tallest building is only 794 feet tall Miami could use a little more populairity even thought it's one of the best places i the world I vote yes because miami do need some more buildings Miami is really one of the few very large cities in the world without 1000 footers or at least a 800 footer miami tallest building is pretty close to 800 feet close is not good enough we need bigger and better skyscrapers we should build these towers so people could stop complaning about the condos and if the city has more office buildings it would get more people to move down here work and get the economy back on its feet
More office space? Half of Brickell is empty. There is a tall building here that has been sitting half built for who knows how long and no one seems in a hurry to complete it.

Plus, who in the heck comes to a city because of the tall buildings? Tall buildings usually reflect growth, not promote it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: