Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
I think those towers would look very beautiful; it will atract tourists, it will cause envy to other countries.

Developers don't build for today; they build for 5-10 years ahead; real state market is a roller coaster; is not even their money; money comes from big corporations, national or international, who at the same time invest for decades ahead; who pays the price? the average citizen, who cannot afford that today and if they do, they have the risk of not being able to pay the mortgage or the rent; but the fact is, if one of those costs 2 million, and half the building is empty, who cares; in 10-15 years they all will be full sold and each will cost 3 million; developers know that.

I do not recall anyone ever coming to Miami because of "the tall buildings", actually, who in the heck goes to any place because of tall buildings? If it is not historically famous (Empire State Building), former number 1 (Sears Tower), or already in an exotic location; no one is going to give a hoot about some run of the mill skyscrapers.

Yea right, ten to 15 years they will be full, like they are all now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:28 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
Arggggg, I hate NYMBYS

Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
as for the hurricane issue many buildings in southeast Asia that are even taller get hit by hurricanes/typhoons as well.
The difference is that many of these cities are 1.) miles inland and/or 2.) protected my mountains. In Miami, you pretty much feel the full force of the wind in downtown. And the truth is, we don't really know how modern skyscrapers would hold up to the full force of a major hurricane. Judging from the glancing blow of Wilma, it won't be pretty...but I doubt there would be structural failures.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
No, Max Mayfield just predicted the incredible disaster that was hurricane Katrina and warned NOLA local politicians that there would be flooding and that the levees would be susceptible to the surge. That's WHY we should listen to him. He was the head of the National Hurricane Center for alot of reasons, but you go ahead and listen to the civil engineer and the architect...
Max Mayfield for President in 2012

Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
i do not recall anyone ever coming to miami because of "the tall buildings", actually, who in the heck goes to any place because of tall buildings? if it is not historically famous (empire state building), former number 1 (sears tower), or already in an exotic location; no one is going to give a hoot about some run of the mill skyscrapers.

Yea right, ten to 15 years they will be full, like they are all now?
i do

Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 AM

I'm an skyscraper aficionado.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
The difference is that many of these cities are 1.) miles inland and/or 2.) protected my mountains. In Miami, you pretty much feel the full force of the wind in downtown. And the truth is, we don't really know how modern skyscrapers would hold up to the full force of a major hurricane. Judging from the glancing blow of Wilma, it won't be pretty...but I doubt there would be structural failures.
Hong Kong and Tokyo have Skyscrapers and Hurricanes that hit then all the time without any damage .....those Typhoons that hit those 2 cities are stronger then anything that hits Miami..... Modern Skyscrapers are built to handle Hurricane force winds....

Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
i do

Oh you do, but yet you will be impressed by some measly little building like the one they want to build here?

If you are such an enthusiast for skyscrapers, I seriously doubt you would be so impressed over some run of the mill building like the one they want to build, we are not talking the Burj Khalifa or anything.

Please tell me, what skyscrapers have you visited in the world? I mean, you specifically made the trip for the sole purpose of visiting the skyscraper?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Boxus, this building has been canceled for years now.

I don't see a point for any further convos on this thread.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Arggggg, I hate NYMBYS
We finally agree on something!

I vote yes. Miami needs a supertall, but one of quality. Something similar to The Shard (a supertall u/c in London) would look awesome as a part of the Miami skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: