Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 PM

197 posts, read 199,550 times

Advertisements

As long as immigrants dont speak english or don't try to assimulate in to the American way of life then they will always be seen as lesser than. Turn the tables because if I want to live in another country, I must speak the local lingo and assimulate or I will have serious problems, even death threats. I must admit I never cared for that jerk trump but he is right when he says the system is rigged against Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotsen View Post
Throughout the history Cubans have demonstrated to be more intelligent than their Latin American counterparts and this is a fact that of course they don't like to be thrown at them.

It could be easily called a phenomenon because it can't be explained why but in almost in every field you will find a Cuban who excels. Please see below:

- Chess: Jose Raul Capablanca, Leinier Dominguez, Lazaro Bruzon, etc.

- Medicine: Dr. Rodrigo Alvarez Cambra, and honestly if I continue with the list a lot of Americans would feel ashamed of themselves. It is unarguable that the best doctors are from India and Cuba.

- Politics: Let me start off by saying that all you have to do is take a look at the american senate: Bob Menendez, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz etc. All of them are Cuban, you may disagree politically with them but they probably have a better life than 90% of the people who visit this forum.
Also in Politics in Cuba: Fidel Castro, (a dictator, killer,etc. I strongly agree) super intelligent guy, he was able to defend himself in court and he did it so well that sentence was commuted and he was subsequently sent to Isla de Pinos for just a few months.
- Eduardo Chivas
- Jose Marti
- Antonio Maceo

- Music:
- Chucho Valdes
- Silvio Rodriguez
- Pablo Milanes
- Irakere (known internationally)
- Ernesto Lecuona
- Benny More

- Sports:

- Take a look at the MLB: Yoennis Cespedes, Aroldis Chapman, Abreu, Contreras, Kendry Morales etc.
- Dayron Robles
- etc.

What I am trying to say is, to those Americans trying to put Cubans down you should know that Cubans in general are very smart people. Conversely, this country (I believe) has benefited a lot from the Cuban migration that has been taking place throughout all these years.

It is not my intention to make you think differently about Cubans but I feel like Americans for being our neighbors should inform themselves better on who the Cuban people are and what they have achieved.

I am Cuban, FOB(fresh off the border) I have lived in Miami,FL for two years and whenever I listen to people criticize Cubans I wonder if they know that little island is a genius-producing country

I am Cuban and I say it proudly!!!

I'm one of those non-Cubans who love Cuban people ( I don't care for the food or the women though), but i can understand how overwhelming must be for others to deal with Cubans.

For one, the great majority of the people in Miami dont have to deal everyday with the Cubans you mentioned. If that was the case, no one would feel so annoyed at Cubans. Most of us in Miami have to deal with the vulgar, loud, trashy, inpantient, entitled and unethical type. Those are the ones we have to live with side by side, therefore the hostility towards them. I personally overlook that, but many people dont possess the ability to do so. It is simply too much for them.

People in LATAM love Cuba and you will never hear anything agains Cuba or Cubans, if anything Cubans are seen in a good light... that is of course until Latin Americans come to Miami and get their first hand experience with the Cubans of Miami and the way the system protects them.

At least we have to try to understand the situation from their perspective.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:17 AM

36 posts, read 33,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
As a woman I find this very offensive!
I do not understand why you find such a comment offensive. Italian males are very sexy, Greeks too. I wouldn't get offended if someone said that in front of me. It is a fact. By the way I like women.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 AM

36 posts, read 33,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrultima View Post
Well if you guys are such geniuses then why have a dictator for all those years why because most cubans are free loaders unfortunately its the truth cant be changed and based on facts communism suits the lazy and then remember the cocaine cowboys maybe your too young who knows....
Once upon a time there was a guy called Fidel Castro. He yearned (as many people at that point) to live in a free country, (just as some Americans back in 1775 wished to see America free from England) so he fought against that system that ruled in the island at that time.

Fidel became a lawyer. Subsequently, during his incarceration he braced for a trial. They were suppose to give him at least 20 years in jail for public disturbance and more charges, but due to a historical defense in which Fidel brought up many facts: corruption, drugs, excessive use of force by law enforcement etc. his sentence got commuted and Fidel was sent to Isla de Pinos for a short period of time.

Fulgencio Batista at that time was the president of Cuba. Batista ended up being kicked out of Cuba by Fidel and his army.

Up to that point everything was fine. Cuba had gotten its independence and I would dare to say that 90% of the Cubans supported Fidel.

But Fidel turned into a dictator and shortly after raising to power he started implementing a bunch of laws which began to turn Cuba into an isolating island in the middle of the Caribbean.

It caused many companies to suddenly move out of Cuba fearing a seize by the new communist regime. Among them were: Hershey (yes, the chocolate maker the same company that makes chocolates and sell them in the US, do a google search on Hershey Havana Cuba you will be surprised) Bacardi, FPL. etc.

While this was going on in Cuba the US was trying to jeopardize the Cuban revolution and came up with some laws that would supposedly damage the government with the ultimate goal of retaking possession of the island. Mostly due to the strategic position of the island. See Bay of Pigs.

The wet foot dry foot law that was recently lifted by Obama is the main reason why Fidel was able to govern successfully in Cuba and the reason why the communist system has not fallen down.

The implementation of such a law has had a boomerang effect on the American government.

Cubans do not want to fight the system, why would they ? They have the US 90 miles away. They know they are better off coming to the US than going into a war against the system. Conversely, the problem has remained unfixed throughout all of these years. Fidel and his people have benefited the most because Cubans keep escaping the island and sending money from offshore to their families and this ease up the economical situation of many Cuban households. When debating about this I always put this example: when your girlfriend break up with you but you keep calling her, she keeps ignoring you but when you decide to move on and get a new girlfriend she realizes she may lose you and that is when she blows up your phone.

I put part of the blame on past American administrations because they were not able to foresee that had that law being lifted before they would have achieved what they wanted for themselves or simply for the Cuban people. But it is not Cubans fault to be lured into the US.

Americans should not be talking bad about Cubans or any other minority group in this country. Instead you ought to ask you this question: who is allowing all this to take place ? the American government. Are you gonna tell me that the American government can get into a war that has cost trillions of dollars but cannot secure its border ????????? or control who enters this country ?????????? give me a break.

I understand it is easier to hate on Cubans, Haitians, Colombians etc. On the other hand, hating on the government for allowing uneducated people to pour into the country when you are economically fine is hard.

It is unarguably that Obama is a very smart guy. I still can't believe he was the first one who grasped the whole situation and decided to get rid of wet foot dry foot law. In 7 years there will be Hiltons and Marriotts on Varadero Beach. Have a good day

Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
There You go. ICE at Miami International is being strictly strict (grammar?) with arrivals from Cuba.
According to Miami Herald, those who mistakenly or honestly, express their desire to stay even if they carry a Visitors/Tourist Visa, have such Visa summarily canceled and sent to a detention center and a future immigration Court appointment.
to be sure, that treatment is not for Cubans only:

Venezolanos: la pregunta que en el Aeropuerto de Miami podría llevarlos a la cárcel | El Nuevo Herald

that's an article about venezuelans facing the same procedure

Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 PM

As a former 80s CVPC worker and a current English Professor in Cuba I know what is happening. I stand by my comment below. It all boils down to assimulating and respecting the culture of the country you choose to live. If you choose not do this, then you should return to the country you came from.

Quote:
As long as immigrants dont speak english or don't try to assimulate in to the American way of life then they will always be seen as lesser than. Turn the tables because if I want to live in another country, I must speak the local lingo and assimulate or I will have serious problems, even death threats. I must admit I never cared for that jerk trump but he is right when he says the system is rigged against Americans.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM

400 posts, read 515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotsen View Post
Throughout the history Cubans have demonstrated to be more intelligent than their Latin American counterparts...

I have lived in Miami,FL for two years and whenever I listen to people criticize Cubans I wonder if they know that little island is a genius-producing country

I am Cuban and I say it proudly!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
to be sure, that treatment is not for Cubans only:

Venezolanos: la pregunta que en el Aeropuerto de Miami podría llevarlos a la cárcel | El Nuevo Herald

that's an article about venezuelans facing the same procedure
@Rotsen, good post, and the list of talented Cubans is way longer. At least from my side, we don't categorize ALL Cubans in one single bundle, of course they are smart, willing to assimilate their new host Country; and if we speak strictly by numbers they are the minority. Also, to use hate as the sentiment, is not correct, we point out those who arrive to milk the system with no intention to integrate and on top of that don't tolerate anyone outside their language and customs.

On the treatment for arrivals at MIA, yes, it's not for Cubans only, it's been for several other nationalities, but now Cubans are being scrutinized as well. The Venezuelan People are, today, in worse shape than most of Latin America, in an Oil Producing Country for crying out loud! But that's outside this thread.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 PM

j
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
The Venezuelan People are, today, in worse shape than most of Latin America, in an Oil Producing Country for crying out loud! But that's outside this thread.
So this is America's fault that Venezuela has become a 4th world highly corrupt, extremely dangerous comunist country? How easy it is to blame the Americans for problems of other countries.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:12 PM

Ask yourself how difficult it is for us to become a legal citizen of Cuba, Mexico, Colombia, Cuba or Brazil? As an American citizen wanting to live abroad. Do you all think it is easy? Do you? The answer is a BIG NO. They make it almost impossible for us to live legally in their countries, but they can walk in to America and live illegally without any problems. Our Government even helps and gives money to illegals. Now you all tell me, is this a fair system?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 515,729 times
Quote:
Our Government even helps and gives money to illegals. Now you all tell me, is this a fair system?
That is debatable and not that difficult to demonstrate as an argumentum ad populum.
An illegal alien is someone who has no documentation, electronic or physical to prove legal status.
The days are gone when You could purchase a fake Social Security card.
The vast rumors that any undocumented person can simply ask for the food stamps, etc. are exaggerated.
Granted, if an illegal alien female gives birth within the US, she will have some initial assistance but not forever.
Unfortunately for the illegal aliens, the data gathering and sharing (more since 9/11) between Agencies makes it near impossible to obtain free benefits.
The previous Administration has deported more undocumented than any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami