U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 PM

16 posts, read 33,597 times

Advertisements

im setting up a trip to miami for next summer for me and some friends in my 09 graduating class.... well it turns out a hell of alot of more people want to go (roughly 185 people)! where would you sugest the best place for 185 18 year old college bound people to go? the cheapest mode of traspotation there and around the city? things to do? good places to stay? we like to have lots of fun but are also very mature (so we wont cause too much trouble!) we're young and going to be out of high school, and we just want to have fun for a week. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, THANks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,746,246 times
If you really want to have a good time at 18 years old, I would suggest going to Mexico, just because you can drink there legally. You can't get into the bars/clubs on South Beach or Key West if you are not 21.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 23,475,631 times
Go to cancun..We don't need more young spaz kids running around here..

Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM

551 posts, read 2,940,973 times
Cancun is much cheaper (and arguably more fun). South Beach is party central, but VERY expensive and you can't get in anywhere unless you're 21. You're looking at a hell of a lot of money for a week of fun in Miami...

Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,770,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlfromthea777 View Post
im setting up a trip to miami for next summer for me and some friends in my 09 graduating class.... well it turns out a hell of alot of more people want to go (roughly 185 people)! where would you sugest the best place for 185 18 year old college bound people to go? the cheapest mode of traspotation there and around the city? things to do? good places to stay? we like to have lots of fun but are also very mature (so we wont cause too much trouble!) we're young and going to be out of high school, and we just want to have fun for a week. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, THANks
The bars here do not cater to the underage crowd so if you want to drink it will be difficult. Most bars and clubs WILL ask for ID and DO NOT look the other way regarding underage drinking. There are places where the drinking age is 18 and most of you can drink LEGALLY without any hassle but they are outside the US.

It is pretty dead down here in the summer so I am sure if you call some places you might get a good deal. This area is not cheap though.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 19,747,189 times
I don't see where the OP said anything about looking for a place to drink but a place to have FUN. Maybe someone could actually help by suggesting maybe a hotel on the beach that has a banquet room or something similar?
You know, helpful verses critical? Might be a nice change for the Miami forum.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

551 posts, read 2,940,973 times
gurlfromthea777,
what kind of fun are you looking for? are you looking to lie around and relax on the beach? go shopping? we could probably suggest some good hotels if you can narrow down what you're looking for a bit more. with regards to the cheapest mode of transportation, you'll probably be limited to cabs. miami has terrible public transportation, although south beach does have a local circulator bus that only costs a quarter to ride. it's pretty good about getting you where you need to go over there. fyi--cab rides are about the only way to get from the airport to south beach (unless maybe you have some sort of hotel shuttle) and they generally run about $40 each way.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM

16 posts, read 33,597 times
i didnt say anything about underage drinking i said FUN!!!!! we want to have fun on the beach, def. go shopping, and is there any night life for 18 year olds...just because we want to go out at night to clubs doesn't mean we're going to want to drink!!!! do we need to rent cars/ are cabs cheap? we want to try to get a hotel on the beach too. WE DEF. WANT TO GO TO FLORIDA AND IF YOU THINK THAT MIAMI IS TOO EXPENSIVE OR DOESN"T ENTERTAIN OUR AGE GROUP COULD YOU PLEASE SUGGEST SOMEWHERE ELSE IN FLORIDA PLEASE AND THANKS! thanks to everyone who had something positive too!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,902,802 times
I'm not sure that anyone your age CAN rent a car....most rental companies require the driver to be at least 21, if not 24. They're also probably going to insist that you take out their insurance as well as whatever you carry personally. Most won't take a debit card and will pre-authorize a huge amount on your parents credit card. Also the card holder usually needs to be there to sign.

Cabs are going to charge you not only by the mile, but by the minute as well. Those fares can really add up in traffic down here.

You should define fun... laying on the beach and shopping only? There probably aren't going to be many / if any underage clubs around.

How about checking out Disney? (lol)

Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,746,246 times
I just read this last week on another site that many hotels on South Beach do not take reservation of people under 21. That you have to be 21 when you check in to the hotel. Not sure why they have this rule. This person was 20 and was told that they had to be 21 to make a reservation. Sounds odd, but someone confirmed this for me. They said there are some hotels that do allow people under 21 to make reservations, not sure what they are though.

I just did a check on some hotels sites and yes they have it on there "Must be 21 years of age to Register."

To the OP, Why not try looking at Panama City or Daytona if you want to go to Florida so badly (not sure what their hotel rules are). Mexico is your best choice, don't forget that.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-02-2008 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami