Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times

Advertisements

Catt6: Colorado was the only place I have ever lived in my 42 years that I have ever heard someone use the N word. Interesting that in a place that has almost no exposure to other races that they are the ones talking like that. When I lived in Dallas, which is supposedly the "racist South", I never heard the word once, nor a disparaging word, even though I went to the "upper crust" Lake Highlands High School. We had a lot more exposure there since it was almost 35 percent black as opposed to our 2 black people in my Colorado school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Catt6: Colorado was the only place I have ever lived in my 42 years that I have ever heard someone use the N word. Interesting that in a place that has almost no exposure to other races that they are the ones talking like that. When I lived in Dallas, which is supposedly the "racist South", I never heard the word once, nor a disparaging word, even though I went to the "upper crust" Lake Highlands High School. We had a lot more exposure there since it was almost 35 percent black as opposed to our 2 black people in my Colorado school!
colorado really? because i hear it a few times a year here. i once heard a guy here describe AT LENGTH how we did the africans a favor by enslaving them. no joke.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,833 times
I have been in SD for 20 yrs, and Im moving to miami in 2 months. I definitely agree, it is cold, especially at night vs Miami. The wild fires, and even santa ana's suck if you have asthma like me. Plus I have weekly rentals next to my place with fire pits that burn wood and even trash sometimes at night, which is really annoying. I can not believe the city permits this..

Also, If you like nightlife the clubs/bars are very quiet from Oct-March in SD.

I live next to Ocean Beach and I don't see the racial issues you mentioned at all in the beach area. I meet people from all races, everyone gets along, its nice. It does get boring here though. Sometimes, having nothing to do can be stressful

I moved up to Santa Monica for a few months for school. Big mistake.. LA is a dump ! traffic, smog, parking are a nightmare 7 days a week. My neighors gas meter has been leaking for 3 weeks. I keep calling they send someone out, but don't remedy the problem ? Most of the people I work with (actors) are stressed, under slept, and broke. People don't smile or make eye contact on the street like they do in SD. Yes, there is plenty to do at night, if you are willing to fight traffic, deal with bad behavior, and expensive venues.

I think Miami has a more vibrant scene, but is less chaotic and dirty than LA.

Glad you revived this thread !

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
We just moved FROM San Diego back to CGables so I think I have a pretty unique perspective. I'll try and give you more points on SD as I think you're more familiar with Miami.

SD is quiet, nice ... honestly a very pleasant place.
Three cons to add/amend, much more expensive than Miami (add state income taxes at 8%) and the yearly fires are WAY worse than the threat of hurricanes. (Getting hit on the head by a hurricane is another matter of course.) Also, if you're on the coast, SD is actually kind of chilly and grey (fog, oh sorry, marine layer) much of the time. We lived without AC for 6 years! Could be good or bad depending on your POV (my wife HATED it).
Crime, traffic, about the same. SD has more rapes and car thefts, Miami more petty theft. Traffic a little worse in SD but Miami drivers definitely worse.

We greatly enjoyed our 6 years in SD, met some really nice people and LOVED being able to be in amazing places in 4-9 hours of driving (Yosemite, desert, Monterey). If I could afford it, we would spend 2 months in the summer in SD and 8 months in Miami.

BUT, SD has no spice ... no character. Once you do the zoo, Gaslamp, Del Mar, it's pretty much the same old thing. For us, it got boring.
We enjoy the craziness and character of Miami. Going out to eat at 10 pm to a full restaurant (in SD everything is done by 9), parties where people actually let loose and have a good time vs sipping wine and complaining about their kids, hearing languages other than English, little stuff. We've been to more than a few parties were they didn't even play music??

Diversity too ... my daughter was in a very nice school in the North County of SD, like 6 Asian families, no Black and just a few Hispanic families. Kind of creepy when you're used to NYC and Miami. We're Jewish, families actually forbid their kids to play with my daughter - WTF! A lot of head in the sand ignorance. Very provincial too, "we're not like THOSE people in LA" and "WE like it this way" are 2 phrases that drove me nuts. Who are "we" and "they" anyway?? And try speaking Portugues to your daughter in SD ... people looked at us like we had 2 heads when we spoke a little Spanish to our kids.

Personally we wanted our kids to grow with a bit more spice, diversity and culture than SD has to offer. If our families were on the West Coast, we probably would be living in LA (much more our style), but everyone is in SoFla or NY so moving back to Miami was great for us. Personally, in 20 years (of and on) living in SoFla I've NEVER experienced anything like your experience in Aventura. My parents live there and I can assure you that my mother speaks 3 words of Spanish and gets by fine. I hear Spanish, French, Portugues and English everyday in CGables. If the English only/mostly thing bugs you then SoFla is NOT for you.

If you enjoy a nice, quiet, moderately interesting place where not much happens, you might love it in SD. A lot of people do. They proudly call it America's Biggest Small Town and it's a very good description. I'm not trying to be coy or cute, but honest. People really do love SD, not my wife and I. Few people HATE SD like some do in Miami, but the main complaints I had were the same for a lot of people we met.

I can see why some people love SD, just not us. SD and Miami are like 2 sides of the same coin -- both similar size, similar location, on the ocean/bay. But VERY different places from a lifestyle perspective. SD is "nicer," more "pleasant." Miami is more social, fun and just more interesting.
***MOD CUT***

He claims to have a daughter in this thread (see bold above) yet in another thread he created (see link below) he claims to have NO KIDS!

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post19749385

Take everything this chumps says with a grain of salt.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
*** MOD CUT***

He claims to have a daughter in this thread (see bold above) yet in another thread he created (see link below) he claims to have NO KIDS!

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post19749385

Take everything this chumps says with a grain of salt.
Been noticing this too. Dont get the point why someone would do this.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-09-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Maybe he had a daughter but then got divorced and lost everything to the wife.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Well, I would say that Hawaii is better. It has the nicest weather and scenery, and beaches, out of both places just mentioned. South Florida is only subtropical, and Southern California is Mediterranean. Both places get cold snaps and frost. It snowed in Miami twice, and 5 times in San Diego. The beaches are very pretty. San Diego wins on the scenery on the beach, and the water gets warm sometimes, but Miami wins on the water temperature/clarity, though it is very flat (surrounded by high rises) and sometimes the water is chilly.

Hawaii, on the other hand, is tropical. The beaches are beautiful, among the best in the world, with year-round warm temps, waves (though there are some beaches that are calm), always warm there. It combines the lush greenery of FL with the mountains of CA, and the warm clear, white sand beaches of FL with the waves of CA. There is no other place like it. It is very diverse and is pretty liberal, awesome food and fishing, nice palm trees, fruit trees growing everywhere. It is stunning. It is a bit isolated and expensive, but I think it's well worth it (Maybe I'm biased because I was born there and lived there for five years. I visited in 2006 and this past winter.). It is a long trip if you want to vacation in Miami from Hawaii, but you can also go to SoCal in 5 hours from Hawaii for vacation. Besides, you have the weather from Miami (though not as oppressively hot or humid) in Hawaii.

The weather: San Diego's climate is sub-arid/semi-arid Mediterranean, since it is a desert, though sometimes referred to as dry-summer subtropical. There are really only two seasons: the warm, dry seasons and the wet, cool season. The warm and dry season lasts from late June into early December, typically seeing temps in the 70s and 80s during the day, and 50s and 60s during the night. Very sunny during this time. The wet and cool season typically sees daytime temps in the 60s, and in the 40s during the night. This season has rainstorms, and lasts from late December through early June. Then, we have something called May Grey or June Gloom, which is th e coastal mist that covers the coast, sometimes lasting into early July. It is called "Fogust" when it occurs at night during August. It can be refreshing to have mild nights. The coast typically has cooler days than inland areas, but also has more moisture and warmer nights than inland areas because of the misty marine layer, which brings clouds and fog in from the ocean overnight, but burns off during the daytime. Dry inland areas are more prone to fires because of the 90-100 degree daytime weather, but it is freezing at night-30s, sometimes even 20s.

Miami is subtropical, Typically humid and warm, though during cold snaps, usually one week every winter, nights can drop as low as the upper 20s, with frost and snow flurries, and into the 50s and 60s during the daytime. This is not a very common occurence, but still, not as warm as one might think. The cold snaps, while more extreme than SD's, are much more brief.

Honolulu (or any other place in Hawaii) is tropical, with year-round warm weather and warm water. The only cold place in Hawaii is the mountains-which get snowy sometimes, but if you like to skii, you can take a trip up there for a day, just as in California. Rain is very brief. It will rain for a few minutes, especially in the hilly rainforest areas, but then the sun will return. It is warm (80s during day, 70s at night), but not too hot like Miami. It is also a little bit humid, but not opressive. I would say that Hawaii has the best weather in the US, not Southern California, and certainly not South Florida.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 AM

250 posts, read 696,441 times
I just went to Cal for a week. I traveled from Orange down to Oceanside. The biggest attraction to SoCal for me is there are TONS of things to do and much nicer people. Miami is a party town and not a whole lot more. I went on some great mountain bike rides around Laguna Beach. Great surfing even though the water was cold. Amazing music scene. Great radio stations. Great car, truck, and motorcycle scene. Tons of amazing skateboard parks. Miami doesnt have a single world class concrete skateboard park... NOT ONE!!! The gyms were big and not overly crowded. Places to ride motocross or offroad. The weather was great. No attitudes or sense of entitlement.

The problem with SoCal is that everyone is special. Everyone is into a multiple lifestyles. Here I am different because I do these things and DONT PARTY.

I am in Miami because I have friends and family in the area. The weather is nice with the exception of summer heat and daily rain. The veiw from my condo Im renting is nice. I like being around my long term friends since I have lived here since 1987.

Cut out the party, glitz, and whos who of Miami and what do you have left...

Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 AM

378 posts, read 829,889 times
Miami may better for a vacation (mostly just South Beach or to catch a cruise ship heading OUT of Miami), San Diego far far better for a place to live.
Must read "Miami" article

Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Well, I would say that Hawaii is better. It has the nicest weather and scenery, and beaches, out of both places just mentioned. South Florida is only subtropical, and Southern California is Mediterranean. Both places get cold snaps and frost. It snowed in Miami twice, and 5 times in San Diego. The beaches are very pretty. San Diego wins on the scenery on the beach, and the water gets warm sometimes, but Miami wins on the water temperature/clarity, though it is very flat (surrounded by high rises) and sometimes the water is chilly.

Hawaii, on the other hand, is tropical. The beaches are beautiful, among the best in the world, with year-round warm temps, waves (though there are some beaches that are calm), always warm there. It combines the lush greenery of FL with the mountains of CA, and the warm clear, white sand beaches of FL with the waves of CA. There is no other place like it. It is very diverse and is pretty liberal, awesome food and fishing, nice palm trees, fruit trees growing everywhere. It is stunning. It is a bit isolated and expensive, but I think it's well worth it (Maybe I'm biased because I was born there and lived there for five years. I visited in 2006 and this past winter.). It is a long trip if you want to vacation in Miami from Hawaii, but you can also go to SoCal in 5 hours from Hawaii for vacation. Besides, you have the weather from Miami (though not as oppressively hot or humid) in Hawaii.

The weather: San Diego's climate is sub-arid/semi-arid Mediterranean, since it is a desert, though sometimes referred to as dry-summer subtropical. There are really only two seasons: the warm, dry seasons and the wet, cool season. The warm and dry season lasts from late June into early December, typically seeing temps in the 70s and 80s during the day, and 50s and 60s during the night. Very sunny during this time. The wet and cool season typically sees daytime temps in the 60s, and in the 40s during the night. This season has rainstorms, and lasts from late December through early June. Then, we have something called May Grey or June Gloom, which is th e coastal mist that covers the coast, sometimes lasting into early July. It is called "Fogust" when it occurs at night during August. It can be refreshing to have mild nights. The coast typically has cooler days than inland areas, but also has more moisture and warmer nights than inland areas because of the misty marine layer, which brings clouds and fog in from the ocean overnight, but burns off during the daytime. Dry inland areas are more prone to fires because of the 90-100 degree daytime weather, but it is freezing at night-30s, sometimes even 20s.

Miami is subtropical, Typically humid and warm, though during cold snaps, usually one week every winter, nights can drop as low as the upper 20s, with frost and snow flurries, and into the 50s and 60s during the daytime. This is not a very common occurence, but still, not as warm as one might think. The cold snaps, while more extreme than SD's, are much more brief.

Honolulu (or any other place in Hawaii) is tropical, with year-round warm weather and warm water. The only cold place in Hawaii is the mountains-which get snowy sometimes, but if you like to skii, you can take a trip up there for a day, just as in California. Rain is very brief. It will rain for a few minutes, especially in the hilly rainforest areas, but then the sun will return. It is warm (80s during day, 70s at night), but not too hot like Miami. It is also a little bit humid, but not opressive. I would say that Hawaii has the best weather in the US, not Southern California, and certainly not South Florida.
Why bring this thread back and start talking about Hawaii of all places?

I also finding highly amusing that you are talking about Miami having snow. snowed once in weather recording history ONCE. I see what you are trying to do. It's just pretty funny. Nice try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami