Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times

Advertisements

It's surprising how slowly it is gentrifying. Given the location, I would have expected it to be completed by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,220 times
No, no gentrifying..if you do that bleedinghearts will come out out of every rock. No, just raze those tenements and build a park with a few terraced cafes, bistros, etc.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 29,455 times
I think Coconut Grove is a very save place to live. Even the West-Grove is ok. I do not see "crack, meth and heroin making a comeback".

Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,731 times
Coconut Grove is a fine place, even the West Grove has gotten a lot better than it used to. I lived in the Grove for over 10 years, both in the nice North Grove area and also off 32nd Ave which borders sketch-town.

West Grove was beginning to gentrify at the pace you see in Wynwood now back around 2005-2006 before the housing crisis. Then things stalled off, but with all the development going on around 27 Ave and Bayshore Dr, I suspect it will start picking up again if it hasn't already.

The thing about West Grove is the zoning, the only people attracted to it are investors interested in Single Family homes or duplexes. The only real exception being off Grand Ave. It's not like Midtown or Wynwood where you can develop whole tracts into condo towers or mixed-use space.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Why they don't change zoning laws affecting the area? I don't quite remember, but CG had its own City Hall, right? Not sure.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:19 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Why they don't change zoning laws affecting the area? I don't quite remember, but CG had its own City Hall, right? Not sure.
No, Coconut Grove is part of the City of Miami, so it doesn't have it's own City Hall. What may have you confused is that the City Hall for the City of Miami is located in Coconut Grove off Bayshore Drive.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,731 times
Quote:

MadmanofBethesda is correct, they don't have their own City Hall because CG isn't a city. It's just a neighborhood of Miami. The City Hall of Miami is located in Coconut Grove.

As for changes to the zoning, honestly, I think it's the residents that simply don't want it. They have lost out to a lot of the development that was made without their general approval.

I think most Grove residents liked it better when it was kind of a hidden treasure, now it's overly developed and commercialized and lost some of it's charm. So they'd most likely want to resist making any zoning changes to the residential areas if possible.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
MadmanofBethesda is correct, they don't have their own City Hall because CG isn't a city. It's just a neighborhood of Miami. The City Hall of Miami is located in Coconut Grove.

As for changes to the zoning, honestly, I think it's the residents that simply don't want it. They have lost out to a lot of the development that was made without their general approval.

I think most Grove residents liked it better when it was kind of a hidden treasure, now it's overly developed and commercialized and lost some of it's charm. So they'd most likely want to resist making any zoning changes to the residential areas if possible.

Don't they have a say? CG has not lost charm, but exclusivity...Before, there was nothing else,,,It was paradise just and simple right besides the center of everything. Exclusive, esoteric, hippyish, high class,,,cliquish....a sign of the past..

Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Quote:
Don't they have a say? CG has not lost charm, but exclusivity...Before, there was nothing else,,,It was paradise just and simple right besides the center of everything. Exclusive, esoteric, hippyish, high class,,,cliquish....a sign of the past..
I'm not sure what you mean by the Grove losing its exclusivity when a single family starter home will cost you over a million, an ordinary looking townhouse will run you $700K to $800K, and a dumpy old condo unit will be $300K to $500K. All the newer condo buildings in the Grove are for the very wealthy since the units start in the millions. Your money actually goes further in Coral Gables which people generally think of as being exclusive and cliquish.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:28 AM

I always thought Coconut Grove as more exclusive, more class and culture, more history...still preserves part of the old town..no comparison,

Coral Gables was just a expensive typical American community for professionals and new rich, no class, Coconut Grove had class, seaside cafes, weird theaters, strange shops...another world.....ahhh, and the bounty, that was the only disco in town at the same level than studio 51 in ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami