U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:05 AM

4,612 posts, read 3,015,200 times

Advertisements

And some would argue Miami / SoFla has the best weather in the country from Nov 1 - May 1 (heck, I think it’s still great as of today)...as for the other person whom you responded to referring to Miami as being flat, it is from a natural standpoint but I look at our skyline as being equivalent to “manmade mountains” with scenic views from the street level and high up once inside these buildings—of course, depends exactly where you live as high rises tend to be concentrated in certain areas on or near the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Other than year round heat, you are describing just about any major city. This is not unique to Miami. Cities are always diverse with rich/poor areas, clean/dirty areas, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-21-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 16,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
all over the Internet I see people hating on Miami.

don't you guys got a nice beach to swim in?
what about some good food?
affordable housing? (believe me, it's affordable, I live in LA lolz).

I can understand some of the negatives... like humidity & bugs.

but i was just curious to know why Miami and FL in general is hated on.

Hmm, do you speak Spanish? Oh, not the Mexican dialect or any other dialect as you will be looked down upon. Don't come here thinking you need to know English because you don't, you need to know a particular dialect of Spanish that many find, how can I say...ghetto.

Aside from the language barrier (they will at times show open hostility towards you if you don't know Spanish or refuse to speak it) there is the driving. The county is constantly allowing new construction but the streets cant support the added traffic. The traffic is worse than Washington D.C. There is no rule of law so people will make right hand turns from the left hand turn lane, while the light is red....this is not uncommon. I have personally seen people make moving violations in front of the MD police and nothing happens....again, there is no rule of law. Watch the local news to see how much crime goes on here. I think part of it is because many ppl here don't think they are American and don't want to be American, they are here to exploit a situation or are avoiding a worse situation from their own country. Many ppl here are shocked to see how easy it is to exploit and commit fraud, so they do it.

Fraud, everyone and everything wants to commit fraud. It is not seen as a crime but business. Business is not about providing a service or product, business is defined as getting as much money as possible without suffering any consequences. Basically everyone here is greedy and you can see it on the road.

It is a third world country...actually, that is insulting to many nations to be compared to a city that has no values...it is a fourth world country (I invented this).

I cant stand this place and hopefully we will be gone in one more year.

oh, its humid too.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And some would argue Miami / SoFla has the best weather in the country from Nov 1 - May 1 (heck, I think it’s still great as of today)...as for the other person whom you responded to referring to Miami as being flat, it is from a natural standpoint but I look at our skyline as being equivalent to “manmade mountains” with scenic views from the street level and high up once inside these buildings—of course, depends exactly where you live as high rises tend to be concentrated in certain areas on or near the water.
Florida is the flattest state in the nation....and yes, the best time of year is as indicated above. Miami is considered a tropical, not sub tropical, so there are only two seasons...wet and dry and the time period above is the dry season...which is nice. However, you have to add all the other elements which make Miami not so desirable.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Other than year round heat, you are describing just about any major city. This is not unique to Miami. Cities are always diverse with rich/poor areas, clean/dirty areas, etc.
Miami is truly one of the most disgusting places. I feel bad for the latin Americans that come here to get ahead only to get crushed by the very same attitude and culture they left.

I hear so many Latin Americans complain how horrible it is here in American but they only know Miami. I tell them Miami is in no way, shape, or form America. Miami has no values, no morality, just greed and pride, and lots of corruption and stupidity. I tell those struggling people to leave Cuba del Norte and go to America where they will see a totally different culture.

I was an analyst that studied Latin America....why is that continent so behind North America when it was conquered about 150 years ahead of the colonization of north America? Gold and Glory....look up God, Gold and Glory...you will understand how the Latin American culture was spawned and why corruption is so essential for those in power...to retain power and not get trampled on the way they trampled the conquered.

Just remember one thing, ***** rolls down hill....now look at a map.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Guess it depends on perspective.

I moved from San Diego, by choice, which some—but not me—consider a great/better/best place in US to live. To me, Miami has better (1) restaurants; (2) nightlife and cultural events ; (3) shopping; (4) ocean—can go in ours without a wetsuit; (5) airport (hub v regional); (6) pro sports town; (7) far less homeless; (8) closer to where I vacation (NYC, Europe and Latin America); (9) more modern condos with more amenities and more bang for the buck whether renting or owning; and (10) no state income tax...and I’m a white boy originally from NY—not Latino. I love the weather here, including the summer—which is tolerable, bordering on outright enjoyable, if you live on the water and get a breeze. I’ve met plenty of nice and successful people in Brickell.

I can see why others might not like it here...Miami is not for everyone. In many cases, better to have started your career elsewhere and then brought your wealth with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleemadness View Post
Florida is the flattest state in the nation....and yes, the best time of year is as indicated above. Miami is considered a tropical, not sub tropical, so there are only two seasons...wet and dry and the time period above is the dry season...which is nice. However, you have to add all the other elements which make Miami not so desirable.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-21-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM

3,241 posts, read 932,098 times
The More people that Hate Miami, the less rift raft we have to put up with down here !!!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Guess it depends on perspective.

I moved from San Diego, by choice, which some—but not me—consider a great/better/best place in US to live. To me, Miami has better (1) restaurants; (2) nightlife and cultural events ; (3) shopping; (4) ocean—can go in ours without a wetsuit; (5) airport (hub v regional); (6) pro sports town; (7) far less homeless; (8) closer to where I vacation (NYC, Europe and Latin America); (9) more modern condos with more amenities and more bang for the buck whether renting or owning; and (10) no state income tax...and I’m a white boy originally from NY—not Latino. I love the weather here, including the summer—which is tolerable, bordering on outright enjoyable, if you live on the water and get a breeze. I’ve met plenty of nice and successful people in Brickell.

I can see why others might not like it here...Miami is not for everyone. In many cases, better to have started your career elsewhere and then brought your wealth with you.
Lets break this down.

It does have lots of restaurants but are you talking about Miami Beach or the city of Miami? The Beach has some really nice and expensive restaurants. Your statement is very true.

Nightlife and cultural events....there are some but they are truly cultural events and some are just raging drunk/drug fests that wreck the city. Many residents don't like Ultra or the other crazed events that occur. Also, the nightlight is very dangerous, especially for tourists....anyone can do a search on the internet. Remember the naked zombie that ate someone's face...that was in Miami a few years ago and stuff like that is not so uncommon. So yea, it has a nightlife very similar to the nightlife I recall from the movie, Escape from New York.

Shopping, it has tons of shopping because so many ppl come up here to buy brand names because its not the person but what you where that defines the person.

True, there is a functional beach unlike California (I lived in the Bay area for about 4 years)....but there are tons of sharks that ppl never see unless they look from the top down. The state leads the nation in shark bites but that has a lot to do with the number of ppl in the water....It is true, the keys are the best part and I will miss them for sure.

Two major airports here (one in FT Lauderdale) but the Miami airport is always crammed with ppl , you need to give yourself an actual hour to get through security....but for the volume of ppl, it runs pretty smoothly (because a retired Army Colonel is running the show!).

Miami is not know for its loyal fan base...it is the Fort Lauderdale Dolphins....but, cant blame the fans too much about the Marlins...they really socked it to the citizens of Miami. The Heat, everyone loves them but only if they are winning. But, they do have all the major sports, even hockey.

What??? Go downtown if you want homeless. My wife works downtown and we talk to each other as we drive to work and she is always lamenting about the homeless and how they are growing. She wants to give them gift cards for Christmas each year. There are tons of homeless, the weather supports it, just like in Hawaii (but they are trapped on the island).

It is closer to Latin America but you really don't need to travel for that.....you have that in Miami already. If one is from the east coast, you are far from Europe, but from CA, definitely closer.

Yes, housing can be very nice and you pay for it....too much in fact due to all the rich people that come from other countries, driving the housing market through the roof (we will capitalize on that next year though....$100k in equity just from the market alone, that is crazy!).

No income taxes but you will pay through the nose in your car insurance, home owners insurance and property taxes....they will get their money, don't worry about that.

As a white boy from NY, you better know where you are traveling and where you go, you are not always welcome in certain areas. My wife is born and raised here and she knows those places....she also wont let me go to the beach because of what is there, lol.

Have fun but it is a horrible place for a family....if you want to pick up a few diseases and drop tons of cash, it is the place to be. (Have you seen the STD billboard on the 836 warning of the new strain of syphilis that has no cure (or was it another STD?)? Crazy stuff for sure....that's why we want out!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,338,228 times
Quote:
Lets break this down.

It does have lots of restaurants but are you talking about Miami Beach or the city of Miami? The Beach has some really nice and expensive restaurants. Your statement is very true.

Nightlife and cultural events....there are some but they are truly cultural events and some are just raging drunk/drug fests that wreck the city. Many residents don't like Ultra or the other crazed events that occur. Also, the nightlight is very dangerous, especially for tourists....anyone can do a search on the internet. Remember the naked zombie that ate someone's face...that was in Miami a few years ago and stuff like that is not so uncommon. So yea, it has a nightlife very similar to the nightlife I recall from the movie, Escape from New York.

Shopping, it has tons of shopping because so many ppl come up here to buy brand names because its not the person but what you where that defines the person.

True, there is a functional beach unlike California (I lived in the Bay area for about 4 years)....but there are tons of sharks that ppl never see unless they look from the top down. The state leads the nation in shark bites but that has a lot to do with the number of ppl in the water....It is true, the keys are the best part and I will miss them for sure.

Two major airports here (one in FT Lauderdale) but the Miami airport is always crammed with ppl , you need to give yourself an actual hour to get through security....but for the volume of ppl, it runs pretty smoothly (because a retired Army Colonel is running the show!).

Miami is not know for its loyal fan base...it is the Fort Lauderdale Dolphins....but, cant blame the fans too much about the Marlins...they really socked it to the citizens of Miami. The Heat, everyone loves them but only if they are winning. But, they do have all the major sports, even hockey.

What??? Go downtown if you want homeless. My wife works downtown and we talk to each other as we drive to work and she is always lamenting about the homeless and how they are growing. She wants to give them gift cards for Christmas each year. There are tons of homeless, the weather supports it, just like in Hawaii (but they are trapped on the island).

It is closer to Latin America but you really don't need to travel for that.....you have that in Miami already. If one is from the east coast, you are far from Europe, but from CA, definitely closer.

Yes, housing can be very nice and you pay for it....too much in fact due to all the rich people that come from other countries, driving the housing market through the roof (we will capitalize on that next year though....$100k in equity just from the market alone, that is crazy!).

No income taxes but you will pay through the nose in your car insurance, home owners insurance and property taxes....they will get their money, don't worry about that.

As a white boy from NY, you better know where you are traveling and where you go, you are not always welcome in certain areas. My wife is born and raised here and she knows those places....she also wont let me go to the beach because of what is there, lol.

Have fun but it is a horrible place for a family....if you want to pick up a few diseases and drop tons of cash, it is the place to be. (Have you seen the STD billboard on the 836 warning of the new strain of syphilis that has no cure (or was it another STD?)? Crazy stuff for sure....that's why we want out!
I have to laugh when I see people all excited about Florida having no state income tax.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Great restaurants in, both, Miami and Miami Beach. They are only 15-20 minutes—not hours— apart. That’s a bonus and there are restaurants at various price points—not all expensive.

Nightlife and culture—I hang out at Edge/Four Seasons Brickell, S Bar at SLS, MO Bar at Mandarin Oriental, Doc B’s in Gables, Neme Gastrobar in Coral Way, Ball & Chain and Cafe La Trova in Little Havana, Kiki on the River, Bar Bevy in Design District, Casa de Montecristo Cigar Bar in Brickell, Smith & Wollensky, Living Room at Faena, Matador at Edition and Casablanca Cigar Lounge....events include Coconut Grove Arts Festival, Art Basel, I’m a member of Cornell (my alma Mater) Club of SoFla with events at various places, events at PAMM, SOBEWFF, ....have yet to run into MS-13 or Hezbollah, etc. nor do I stray too far from Brickell, Gables, Grove, The River, Design District, LH, Coral Way and the beach—plenty for me to do in all those areas without having to stray into “dangerous” areas. Will visit friends in Palm Beach and Boca when I want a taste of homogeneous white suburbia.

I love the convenience of shopping here. Apple at BCC has the best service of any Apple Store I’ve been to. There are many brands I buy at Design District and Bal Harbour without having to travel far.

Never been bit by a shark....or alligator.

I’ve got priority status with American, Mobile Pass, and MIA is a consistent 15-20 minute Uber ride for me. No issues and plenty of direct flights.

I get gifted free tickets to 5 Heat games a year by my friend with season tickets. Marlins suck but it’s a very nice stadium and I go to 3-5 games a year. Like the fact I have the option of going to NHL within 40 minutes, usually on my way and/or when I visit my friends in Palm Beach County. I usually root for NY teams.

I live in Brickell and might see 1 homeless person every other day...contrast that from California where I saw 15-20 every day along with human crap on the street...you’re coming from the Bay Area and complaining about homeless here???...lol. Miami’s not even in the top 10 in the country with respect to homeless, though CA has 3 cities on that list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...fographic/amp/

Housing—you lived in the Bay Area and what is the point you are trying to make about cost of Miami housing ????...sure, techies haven’t driven up housing there whatsoever and DMV fees, auto insurance, etc are super cheap????...if you moved here from the Carolinas or Texas, OK—but complaining about Miami prices after moving here, from all places, the SF Bay Area...c’mon. My car insurance costs same here as CA (though I’m driving a nicer car in Miami); DMV fees much lower here.

I’m not a family guy...my fondness for children begins and ends at orgasm. Happily single but agree Miami might not be the best choice for families —though plenty of nice neighborhoods if you can afford them.

Sounds like we run in different circles and have different experiences. Maybe it’s an age thing.

Great corporate medical coverage, just checked out and no diseases...though the last city I lived in California but moved from had a city wide hepatitis epidemic from the homeless. As far as STD’s that you referenced, FL is in the middle of the pack at #24–guess we lead active but fairly safe sex lives here (safer than NY, CA, IL and TX and a slew of red states):

https://backgroundchecks.org/these-a...in-the-us.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...outputType=amp

Oh, and while our roads are crowded they are not in as bad a shape as one overpriced and overtaxed state I can think of...

Sure, Miami has problems...but there are places that are far more expensive AND have as many or more / different problems.

Quote:
Lets break this down.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-21-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Move to a high tax state like CA or NY and you might cry, particularly for the lack of subpar services you pay for but do not receive (and things you didn’t ask for but pay for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I have to laugh when I see people all excited about Florida having no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami