U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 PM

594 posts, read 677,865 times

Advertisements

People hate Miami mostly because of the "Me no speaka da English" problem down there. Also the traffic and self entitled people. But that is just living. People LOVE Miami to vacation. I can see why. So much to do and the rules are a bit flexed vs other cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 PM

4,678 posts, read 3,076,514 times
Update: one of the posters on the previous page piqued my interest by claiming Miami has a very high STD rate.

I refuted that by providing a state ranking, with FL listed at # 24–or middle of the pack.

I just found this link (it claims to have compiled results from public sources) listing cities, rather than states, and Miami does not even rank in the top 100 cities for STD. Guess we’ve changed our hedonistic ways. If someone has a better source, please share.

https://www.rentapplication.com/thes...es-in-the-usa/

Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM

36 posts, read 17,001 times
Did you see where south Florida leads the nation in medical and insurance fraud? Do you think all the little clinics down here report to the government?

Do you live here? Have you seen the billboard on the Dolphin Expressway warning of incurable STD?

There are nice things about Miami but as one poster mentioned, the self entitlement of many ppl here is over the top. That is why people go into the left hand turn lane to make a right hand turn and think nothing of it. I have been to many parts of the world and county and have never seen the ridiculousness of Miami drivers anywhere else.

There are over 2.5 million people in Miami-Dade and that causes massive congestion. The place sucks, most of the ppl I work with live in Broward for a reason....

Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 AM

36 posts, read 17,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Guess it depends on perspective.

I moved from San Diego, by choice, which some—but not me—consider a great/better/best place in US to live. To me, Miami has better (1) restaurants; (2) nightlife and cultural events ; (3) shopping; (4) ocean—can go in ours without a wetsuit; (5) airport (hub v regional); (6) pro sports town; (7) far less homeless; (8) closer to where I vacation (NYC, Europe and Latin America); (9) more modern condos with more amenities and more bang for the buck whether renting or owning; and (10) no state income tax...and I’m a white boy originally from NY—not Latino. I love the weather here, including the summer—which is tolerable, bordering on outright enjoyable, if you live on the water and get a breeze. I’ve met plenty of nice and successful people in Brickell.

I can see why others might not like it here...Miami is not for everyone. In many cases, better to have started your career elsewhere and then brought your wealth with you.
Miami is NOT the place to raise children, not at all. If you are young and into the party scene and don't mind being a victim of a petty crime once in a while then this is the place for you.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Miami is not the place for you...why you moved here thinking otherwise is on you, not the city. In your case, there are better options elsewhere—not just for family but career and wealth building....though there are quite a few professionals in my building (medical, legal, finance) who are raising families and are quite happy.

I earned my wealth elsewhere following a 33 year career with a tech bellwether and am enjoying a far more exciting city and lifestyle than the last city I moved from at a lower cost. In my case Miami works.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-22-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 02:05 PM

38 posts, read 18,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
People hate Miami mostly because of the "Me no speaka da English" problem down there. Also the traffic and self entitled people. But that is just living. People LOVE Miami to vacation. I can see why. So much to do and the rules are a bit flexed vs other cities.
The one thing about Miami that infuriates me the most are the drivers. It's as if they go out of their way to tick off others who share the road with them. And if you're a pedestrian walking, you have to be extra careful! I've almost been hit because a driver wasn't paying attention. It's so irritating when you get the walk signal and drivers making a left hand turn try and make that turn before you you cross the street. I shouldn't have to fear I'm going to get hit by some careless driver when I have the right of a way to walk. I'm actually surprised there are not more accidents than there already are here in Miami. But the horrible drivers really comes down to law enforcement or the lack thereof. They don't enforce roads out here I noticed.

As for the issue with not speaking English, I really only notice that to be a problem in "poor" neighborhoods and concentrated to low skilled workers. Miami is going through such a transformation right now that it's starting to shift the demographics. When I first moved here, I was talking to my Uber driver who moved from the Dominican Republic back in 1995. She said Miami is nothing what it used to be when she arrived. She said that outside of Miami Beach, Miami was just an extension of Latin America. You couldn't get by without Spanish. That's no longer the case as wealthy investors, business owners, entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, etc. from around the World/United States are moving here at a record pace. No longer can someone move from Latin America and expect to only get by knowing Spanish. Unless of course they only intend on working at Walmart, McDonalds, janitorial service, or some other low skilled field their whole life. Even then, as Miami continues to grow and expand, they'll be competing against other low skilled workers. This alone incentives people to learn English, just so they can compete in the workforce as Miami continues to attract people from all over the world and not just Latin America.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Fair and accurate on both counts ...though some/many pedestrians don’t exactly follow the rules of the road either.

Want to watch confusion at its best—a red light with a green directional arrow....confuses the “Mensa” drivers every time...lol.

Add some Uber/Lyft drivers to the do no speak English crowd...though, as you correctly point out, not the types (business owners, not fast food servers) I drink with at Four Seasons, a number of whom live in the high priced building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9p1 View Post
The one thing about Miami that infuriates me the most are the drivers. It's as if they go out of their way to tick off others who share the road with them. And if you're a pedestrian walking, you have to be extra careful! I've almost been hit because a driver wasn't paying attention. It's so irritating when you get the walk signal and drivers making a left hand turn try and make that turn before you you cross the street. I shouldn't have to fear I'm going to get hit by some careless driver when I have the right of a way to walk. I'm actually surprised there are not more accidents than there already are here in Miami. But the horrible drivers really comes down to law enforcement or the lack thereof. They don't enforce roads out here I noticed.

As for the issue with not speaking English, I really only notice that to be a problem in "poor" neighborhoods and concentrated to low skilled workers. Miami is going through such a transformation right now that it's starting to shift the demographics. When I first moved here, I was talking to my Uber driver who moved from the Dominican Republic back in 1995. She said Miami is nothing what it used to be when she arrived. She said that outside of Miami Beach, Miami was just an extension of Latin America. You couldn't get by without Spanish. That's no longer the case as wealthy investors, business owners, entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, etc. from around the World/United States are moving here at a record pace. No longer can someone move from Latin America and expect to only get by knowing Spanish. Unless of course they only intend on working at Walmart, McDonalds, janitorial service, or some other low skilled field their whole life. Even then, as Miami continues to grow and expand, they'll be competing against other low skilled workers. This alone incentives people to learn English, just so they can compete in the workforce as Miami continues to attract people from all over the world and not just Latin America.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:38 PM

440 posts, read 400,874 times
I think it's because the local media is so focused on crime in Miami that the general population gets a bad vibe about the place when the Miami area actually has the most going for it of any of the major cities in South Florida but the local news always seems more focused on police car chases, car accidents, store break ins and the like instead of spending more time reporting on what's going on culturally in the Miami area like you often see on the news in other large cities like New York, Chicago, etc.

Fort Lauderdale is deadsville when it comes to the nightclub and culture scene compared to Miami. People just drive around in their cars everywhere and there's not much going on in the streets except on Las Olas east of Federal Highway and it's fussy crowd that goes there, mostly middle aged. There hasn't been a new cultural institution or tourist attraction opened up in the Fort Lauderdale area in years. People just shop for entertainment as there's not much else to do unless you're into going out fishing or diving or can afford to ride around in your boat when you're not riding around in your car.

West Palm Beach has more going on downtown with concerts and outdoor markets but most of it is on Saturdays and that's about it. Again, it's a place where most people drive everywhere as very few people bike or walk anywhere and there isn't much outside dining except on Clematis Street which the City is trying to bring back up as there are a lot of vacant storefronts there. It does have a nice antique and vintage store district south of downtown on Dixie Highway which Fort Lauderdale lacks but it's not pedestrian friendly and most people drive from store to store.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 PM

7,811 posts, read 3,708,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
True. Miami is a pretty racist city.
Your hate for Miami must be pretty consuming for you to revive a nearly year old thread !

I see the same whiners can't help themselves.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,311,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This is why non-Spanish speaking people prefer FLL and WPB. Miami is a Latino city/county outside of a few black/Caribbean areas. It's not for everyone. I'd say there is plenty of nicer places in South Florida but you hate the weather so you wouldn't like any of it. Personally, I won't live anywhere but South Florida. I thrive on the tropical weather. The idea of trees changing color (to me they just appear to be dying) and snow depresses me. I love that I can ride my bike along some scenic trails and then come back and jump in the pool, and I can do that any time of the year. Seasons suck.

Aside from weather, I don't care for South Florida in general. My other issue is too many transplants. Texas had a lot of transplants too, but they didn't overrun the natives, and native Texans aren't pushovers like native Floridians. You try to move to Texas and turn it to "how it is back home", then Texans will kick your ass! That's what I loved about Texas. Strong state pride and a sense of community, but still welcoming to outsiders. Same with Minnesota. People are proud to be from here and there's a strong sense of community. There's some community history and a lot more friendliness. South Florida is different. Its too transient to have that community feeling. People don't speak to their neighbours anymore.

I feel drained in tropical weather. Even up here, summer is my least favourite season. Not to say I hate summer, because I don't, but I enjoy fall, winter and spring more. As far as trees dying? Not at all. Fall colours are beautiful and we have more flowers in spring than Florida does.

Another thing is... I loathe the sunbelt aesthetic. This goes for Texas too, but I hate sunbelt suburbia. I hate strip malls and shopping centres and oversized lawns. I hate cookie cutter houses and I HATE stucco. Florida is stucco, stucco, stucco. To be fair I hate cookie cutter suburbs up north, too, but because the north is denser, older and more urban, you see it less here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami