U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:15 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,338,228 times

Advertisements

I think Miami is a great place if:
You can afford to live there
You like living in a resort
You don't have a long commute.
You are bilingual

Indiana isn't so bad, but shhhhh, don't tell everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uss-NZrkSdg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 PM

2,723 posts, read 1,880,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
^^^I am so glad that you are ok....

I lived in south Florida for more than 40 years. I moved back to Indiana after I retired. My observations about people in Miami really hit home after I had moved back to my birthplace in the Midwest. Such a difference.

I lived and worked in the southern half of Miami Dade County. People always seem to be in a hurry with little regard for others in their vicinity. Example: driving without turn signals, turning in front of someone, going through a doorway and letting the door shut behind them and in front of the person walking directly behind. Meetings,,,,,,,ha ha, always started late due to attendees not being on time.

High cost of living and salaries for so many people, not enough to live well here. The Miami effect: Hey you live in 'paradise', suck it up and get a second or third job. Quiet in some ways due to language difficulties. Lack of much sense of humor, again due to language problems.

Here in Lafayette, Indiana I get the general vibe that people are happy, calm, polite and friendly. I guess Hoosier hospitality still exists. There are lots of decent paying jobs and a variety of opportunities: manufacturing, tech, agriculture, higher education, research. Many of the jobs in the Miami area are in the service and hospitality field. The vibe in Miami: hectic, chaotic, stressed, hurry, hurry, hurry.

To be fair, Florida has a ton of retirement friendly places with super low costs of living - just not Miami, of course. And these other areas have a lot more friendly people, too. I don't know much about Indiana, but I would think Indianapolis is a bit pricey the closer you get to the city center.

Of course, South Florida is huge, and the issues with Miami is exactly why people head up to Palm Beach.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:52 PM

12,018 posts, read 9,667,838 times
Racism and jealousy in my opinion is the reason some people hate Miami.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM

1,790 posts, read 990,782 times
Extremelly Possible !!!! I Love Miami so the rest it's really not my problem They can go and complain somewhere else/.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:43 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,324,121 times
I was born and raised in Miami.

The Miami of my youth was full of immigrants, it was cheap and the living was easy.
The Miami of now is full of immigrants, is extremely expensive and way too crowded.

I think people hate Miami b/c of the immigrants there. Many of them behave in unappealing ways.

The immigrants in Miami (unlike the rest of the country) can be unfriendly, standoffish, aggressive, loud, brash, snobbish, materialistic. And many people do not like that.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM

Great point, but I do not agree. It's life everywhere you go, not just Miami..Immigrants and OUR OWN Homeless people are EVERYWHERE in this Land of Ours... ~You and Trump and a few other STUCK UP Americans hate them~...But we have to make it work.

And that's my view.

I am happy as a Lark, here in West Kendall..Just as I would be in West Largo, just one mile from Indian Rocks Beach...Where also nothing is like 30 yrs ago When I moved to Miami....The world it's gone crazy all over Florida, but I take it one day at a time.

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 06-28-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,509,500 times
I don't mind immigrants. I mind too many people in an area that can't handle it. Too many people is too many people. Roads will never catch up now. Miami is against public transportation that works. Miami is for building over any and all natural areas. Miami is against saving and restoring older areas and homes and McMansioning everything. Miami is against character and for upscale, generic, expensive. Not the Miami I grew up in and know. These changes aren't for the better to me. Maybe other people like these things - that's great for you! Unfortunately, I am literally stuck here because of elderly parents. Just can't up and leave no matter what I want. Sometimes it's not all about me. That's another thing Miami has trouble with.

Miami isn't horrible but these are reasons why I hate it. I can post good things too in another thread.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 AM

valick., I feel for you...nothing worse than working in a place you hate, live in a place you hate too. You are just stuck here under the conditions you wrote about.

Better days will come.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:31 AM

4,612 posts, read 3,015,200 times
I don’t mind immigrants who move here to better their lives or stash their cash, but do make an effort to assimilate somewhat into US culture as your immigrant predecessors did. I’m originally from NY—earlier European immigrants assimilated into US culture, contributed to society, and learned English. This could start with something as basic with at least making a half ass effort to learn some English. When I travel to your countries, I make an attempt to speak your language; if that fails, there is this app called Google Translate.

I am to the point now where if someone asks me a question in Spanish and I could reply to them in Spanish, I sometimes don’t unless I deem it to be an emergency. Make a minimal effort to blend in—and, no, I’m not a Trump supporter nor do I go off the rails like the NY attorney when hearing others communicating amongst themselves. All this laziness (what else would you call it) is emboldening Trump further and providing fodder for his followers. Most of the successful business people and better educated Latinos I run into in Brickell do speak English. This is more applicable to service workers who live elsewhere but work in the area—you are severely limiting your lives and potential, assuming they even care (hence, reference to laziness). Unfortunately, the shi*thole Ivy League school I went to only taught me in English yet I can still communicate in a few languages; try it, it won’t kill you.

Homeless in Miami—not even an issue from what I see in the areas I live and hang out in. Of course, I moved from California where it is practically impossible not to come across scores of homeless on a daily basis in their major cities.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-29-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,324,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I don’t mind immigrants who move here to better their lives or stash their cash, but do make an effort to assimilate somewhat into US culture as your immigrant predecessors did. I’m originally from NY—earlier European immigrants assimilated into US culture, contributed to society, and learned English. This could start with something as basic with at least making a half ass effort to learn some English. When I travel to your countries, I make an attempt to speak your language; if that fails, there is this app called Google Translate.

I am to the point now where if someone asks me a question in Spanish and I could reply to them in Spanish, I sometimes don’t unless I deem it to be an emergency. Make a minimal effort to blend in—and, no, I’m not a Trump supporter nor do I go off the rails like the NY attorney when hearing others communicating amongst themselves. All this laziness (what else would you call it) is emboldening Trump further and providing fodder for his followers. Most of the successful business people and better educated Latinos I run into in Brickell do speak English. This is more applicable to service workers who live elsewhere but work in the area—you are severely limiting your lives and potential, assuming they even care (hence, reference to laziness). Unfortunately, the shi*thole Ivy League school I went to only taught me in English yet I can still communicate in a few languages; try it, it won’t kill you.

Homeless in Miami—not even an issue from what I see in the areas I live and hang out in. Of course, I moved from California where it is practically impossible not to come across scores of homeless on a daily basis in their major cities.
I agree with you 100%. I speak Spanish, Italian and French and I hate it when people assume I speak a language.

My point about immigrants was not that immigrants are bad. We all come from immigrant families, in one way or another.

But in Miami, newly arrived (within the past 50 years) immigrants and U.S.-born children of immigrants make up the majority of the population. Either you assimilate into THEIR culture, or you don't. Part of that culture is tearing everything down and building new (as an earlier poster pointed out he/she dislikes), speaking Spanish first and English as a last resort, being loud, aggressive, being ostentatious about the material things they may not have had access to in their previous country, etc.

If you don't assimilate into THEIR culture, you resent them and hate them and get out of dodge ASAP.

I think that's why people hate Miami. Because it's one of the only places in America where assimilation works in reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami