U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Miami (prev. NY, Atlanta, SF, OC and San Diego)
4,613 posts, read 3,015,200 times
Reputation: 3304

Advertisements

absolutely....look at all the flack some Muslim communities in the US have taken for not making any effort to assimilate into US culture.....why should other groups be different....unfortunately, all they are doing is hurting themselves by giving ammunition to the White Supremacist in Chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I agree with you 100%. I speak Spanish, Italian and French and I hate it when people assume I speak a language.

My point about immigrants was not that immigrants are bad. We all come from immigrant families, in one way or another.

But in Miami, newly arrived (within the past 50 years) immigrants and U.S.-born children of immigrants make up the majority of the population. Either you assimilate into THEIR culture, or you don't. Part of that culture is tearing everything down and building new (as an earlier poster pointed out he/she dislikes), speaking Spanish first and English as a last resort, being loud, aggressive, being ostentatious about the material things they may not have had access to in their previous country, etc.

If you don't assimilate into THEIR culture, you resent them and hate them and get out of dodge ASAP.

I think that's why people hate Miami. Because it's one of the only places in America where assimilation works in reverse.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM
 
80 posts, read 42,176 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
But in Miami, newly arrived (within the past 50 years) immigrants and U.S.-born children of immigrants make up the majority of the population. Either you assimilate into THEIR culture, or you don't. Part of that culture is tearing everything down and building new (as an earlier poster pointed out he/she dislikes), speaking Spanish first and English as a last resort, being loud, aggressive, being ostentatious about the material things they may not have had access to in their previous country, etc.

If you don't assimilate into THEIR culture, you resent them and hate them and get out of dodge ASAP.

You are sadly 100% correct. As a child to Cuban immigrant parents who came to the US in their teens to escape the beginnings of Castro's take over, I can confirm that we often resent the "new" Cuban immigrants who come over and we see acting as you've stated above.

My parents are children of very proud well educated Cubans who were hard workers, who had good values and morals and instilled that into my parents, who in turn passed all of that on to me. These newer Cuban immigrants however resemble nothing of the older proud Cubans of past. They all talk like they have a frog stuck in their throat, are barely intelligible, and are usually very rude, loud, brash, etc.. BUT you also have to remember where they are coming from, and what they grew up around. There is no education, class, or culture instilled in them, and unfortunately that seems very hard to get rid of even after they migrate to the US.

This issue does not just affect Cubans however, as I have friends who are Brazilian, Colombian, etc. and they all share similar feelings of resent for the "newer" versions of their respected countries immigrants that come here and are very loud, aggressive, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Miami (prev. NY, Atlanta, SF, OC and San Diego)
4,613 posts, read 3,015,200 times
Reputation: 3304
you could add US born millenials to the list (but that's a nationwide--not just a Miami phenomenon)...many don't seem to work for anything....I realize my generation screwed them, but they seem to expect things will fall into their lap. Glad I don't have kids....what did the Gordon Gecko character in the most recent "Wall Street" movie refer to them as--NINJA's....no income, no jobs, no assets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arekusu View Post
You are sadly 100% correct. As a child to Cuban immigrant parents who came to the US in their teens to escape the beginnings of Castro's take over, I can confirm that we often resent the "new" Cuban immigrants who come over and we see acting as you've stated above.

My parents are children of very proud well educated Cubans who were hard workers, who had good values and morals and instilled that into my parents, who in turn passed all of that on to me. These newer Cuban immigrants however resemble nothing of the older proud Cubans of past. They all talk like they have a frog stuck in their throat, are barely intelligible, and are usually very rude, loud, brash, etc.. BUT you also have to remember where they are coming from, and what they grew up around. There is no education, class, or culture instilled in them, and unfortunately that seems very hard to get rid of even after they migrate to the US.

This issue does not just affect Cubans however, as I have friends who are Brazilian, Colombian, etc. and they all share similar feelings of resent for the "newer" versions of their respected countries immigrants that come here and are very loud, aggressive, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-29-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Boston/UpstateNY/FL
154 posts, read 114,649 times
Reputation: 359
Miami is fun to vacation in.

Why Do people not like living there?

1. There is no real jobs in Miami. The pay is super low. Like SUPER Low. I an get paid 95k for my entry level career in Boston or NYC, but 37k in Miami lol

2. The Hispanics in Miami are EXTREMELY racist. The Cubans hate the African Americans, Carribeans and Whites? Like uhh

3. The Housing costs outpace the wages. One of the most expensive metros, but one of the most uneducated and low paying metro???? WHAT

4. The traffic is horrible.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl
4,091 posts, read 5,171,882 times
Reputation: 3406
Hate Miami? No. I do find the city incredibly boring, though. People love to brag about what a big city Miami is and how much there is to do, and OH the traffic... Last time I was there (about a year ago, Friday-Sunday), there was no traffic... There was seemingly nobody out... If it weren't for the big buildings surrounding me, I would've felt like I was in Lakeland. I mean, I was expecting something. I mean, sure, you can say I don't know the city or where to hang out (100% accurate), but I drove around a few of the neighborhoods. Wynwood seemed to be the busiest, and even then, I'll stick to Seminole Heights.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Eastern Time
4,946 posts, read 9,062,802 times
Reputation: 1341
It is indeed very boring, but I don't hate it as I stated before. The people who live in the city core do not get to see the traffic that people from the western, northern, and southern suburbs have to deal with. Perhaps as a tourist visiting Brickell, CBD, Wynwood, etc..., you will never experience a traffic situation.

I do hate the traffic though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 PM
 
80 posts, read 42,176 times
Reputation: 161
I am amazed at how fast I can get from one side of Miami to the other on the weekends when there is so little traffic. I think the majority of residents are exhausted from the Mon - Fri commute, and so they don't even want to look at their cars on the weekends.

If only it could stay like that permanently.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 04:12 PM
 
3,143 posts, read 1,488,189 times
Reputation: 3921
Born and raised - always complained about it. Now, I am quite homesick and realize there is something about it.

Dislikes:
Incredibly expensive relative to wages - one of the most expensive in the U.S.
Hurricanes
Bugs the size of dogs
Hot 10 months out of the year.
Really need to be bilingual to get a job, depending on what part of Miami you are in. Maybe not North Miami.
TRAFFIC


Likes: Latinos are very warm
FOOD
Everything you need and world class health care
Lots of jobs (although you will find wages lower than average relative to cost of living)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 PM
 
1,086 posts, read 1,387,372 times
Reputation: 1497
Miami Dade County is 13% white non Hispanic and the
public schools are 8% white non Hispanic. It's one thing to raise a family in a diverse area but that's not diversity when Latinos make up 70% of the population. It's literally like living in a foreign country and not something the vast majority want for their families.

The demographics speak for themselves and continually get lower each year as the older white population that didn't leave before dies out.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Coral Gables / Bonita Springs
1,672 posts, read 983,588 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post

1. There is no real jobs in Miami. The pay is super low. Like SUPER Low. I an get paid 95k for my entry level career in Boston or NYC, but 37k in Miami lol

2. The Hispanics in Miami are EXTREMELY racist. The Cubans hate the African Americans, Carribeans and Whites? Like uhh

3. The Housing costs outpace the wages. One of the most expensive metros, but one of the most uneducated and low paying metro???? WHAT

4. The traffic is horrible.
1- Its not hard to find a $45k-$50k year job in Miami. So about 2 - 1, not 3 to 1

2 - lots of racism in Boston lol

3 - Housing is far more expensive in NYC & Boston (2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 in some parts)

4 - traffic is atrocious in NYC & Boston, which is why public transit is so common (and crowded).


I'll give you the uneducated one though, that's very apparent in most facets of Miami.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top