U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 PM

806 posts, read 348,824 times

Advertisements

I agree that the natives and even some of the snowbirds are generally warm and easy to get along with. The driving isn't even all that bad and seemingly much less aggressive than back in Texas.

Customer service is as slow as it can possibly be, but not in Publix which is a worthy recompense after giving up HEB.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 PM

8,358 posts, read 2,439,678 times
too funny...I love Miami

I think probably the biggest problem is Miami is intimidating to new people....it's huge and very diverse....that can put new people on the defensive

Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 PM

24 posts, read 8,881 times
I think the biggest reason people hate Miami is false expectations. They buy into the false advertisements. Maybe they take a vacation there one December and love it and then they move and realize that Miami is not so special at all. In fact, in many areas it's worse than the places they came from.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:41 AM

8,058 posts, read 11,843,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTownie View Post
I think the biggest reason people hate Miami is false expectations ... Miami is not so special at all. In fact, in many areas it's worse than the places they came from.
Expectations management is a critical skill in life, too many people are not even aware of it, never mind mastering it.

Correct, Miami is not so special, though it has a unique set characteristics in combination - US territory, plentiful water, warm temperatures year round, major metropolitan area, coastal city, regional capital on the global trade circuit, no state income tax state - .

As for the rest - rude people, traffic, differences between so-called rich and poor, other social differences among the inhabitants, inadequacy of local job wages, etc. - it is about average compared to every other place on planet earth since year one, better than some places that some people come from, worse than some places that some people come from, all of them with different expectations and different levels of awareness and skills at managing those expectations.

Miami is hot and humid? Really? What did you expect?

A major city has traffic? Really? What did you expect?

Humans are rude? Really? What did you expect?

Wages are inadequate? Really? What did you expect?

Most of the whining and complaining is due to frustrated inexperienced youth and/or failure to grow up.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 07-02-2018 at 04:49 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 AM

4,946 posts, read 9,062,802 times
I love my wife's cooking, but then someone told me her food is not special, that it may just have some unique touch to it, and that I have no experience when it comes to home-made food. I shouldn't love it, then. I understand now. There are other wives that cook better, and others that cook exactly like her. Her food is average. Why even mention that I love her food and that I think her food is spectacular?

Silly me

Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
expectations management is a critical skill in life, too many people are not even aware of it, never mind mastering it.

Correct, miami is not so special, though it has a unique set characteristics in combination - us territory, plentiful water, warm temperatures year round, major metropolitan area, coastal city, regional capital on the global trade circuit, no state income tax state - .

As for the rest - rude people, traffic, differences between so-called rich and poor, other social differences among the inhabitants, inadequacy of local job wages, etc. - it is about average compared to every other place on planet earth since year one, better than some places that some people come from, worse than some places that some people come from, all of them with different expectations and different levels of awareness and skills at managing those expectations.

Miami is hot and humid? Really? What did you expect?

A major city has traffic? Really? What did you expect?

Humans are rude? Really? What did you expect?

Wages are inadequate? Really? What did you expect?

Most of the whining and complaining is due to frustrated inexperienced youth and/or failure to grow up.

Good luck!
Amen !!!! I say ride the wave, or stay in the shore crying !!!!

Old 07-18-2018, 03:55 AM

7,811 posts, read 3,665,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Hate Miami? No. I do find the city incredibly boring, though. People love to brag about what a big city Miami is and how much there is to do, and OH the traffic... Last time I was there (about a year ago, Friday-Sunday), there was no traffic... There was seemingly nobody out... If it weren't for the big buildings surrounding me, I would've felt like I was in Lakeland. I mean, I was expecting something. I mean, sure, you can say I don't know the city or where to hang out (100% accurate), but I drove around a few of the neighborhoods. Wynwood seemed to be the busiest, and even then, I'll stick to Seminole Heights.
LMAO somebody from Tampa complaining about Miami's urbanity or how boring it is.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Yep, Tampa the forgotten and ugly backyard to all the wonderful Beaches in Pinellas County.....Now we're talking The Central West Coast of Florida .

Suncoast IS really the better name for the ENTIRE Area, One day they'll realize to change the name to a more attractive, luring name/slogan than having Tampa in it.

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 07-18-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
LMAO somebody from Tampa complaining about Miami's urbanity or how boring it is.

Tampa is Boring and DULL, both qualities all together...

Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM

6,571 posts, read 4,263,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Racism and jealousy in my opinion is the reason some people hate Miami.
True. Miami is a pretty racist city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami