Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
too funny...I love Miami

I think probably the biggest problem is Miami is intimidating to new people....it's huge and very diverse....that can put new people on the defensive
Dallas is "huger" and "diverser" than Miami. I dont hate Dallas. As far as diversity? I have seen more diversity at my job in Saint Paul, Minnesota than I did pretty much any day in Miami. Having a bunch of Latinos isn't diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM

I hate Miami not only because it's like the total opposite of my personality (rude, aggressive, shallow, uneducated) but in general theres a lot I hate about the city. To start of, I dont really care for tropical environments. I haven't been to Honolulu but I can guarantee I would love Honolulu way more than Miami. The tropics and subtropics are places I would happily vacation in in summer, but never live in.

The climate in Miami is misery for me. I can at least tolerate Atlanta ur Dallas but Miami is a never ending inferno. Hot and humid, no seasons, no snow, just sun, rain and people think its freezing when it's in the 60s. Fall and winter are my favourite seasons. They dont exist in Miami. Theres no maple trees changing colour, no crisp cool Halloweens or white snowy Christmases. Theres no hockey on the lake. I guess that's more of why I love Minneapolis but for me that's part of why I hate Miami. Weather is subjective. I like it cold, some like it hot.

Scenery is subjective too but let's face it. Away from the beach which yes is beautiful, Miami is butt ugly. I was in Atlanta three weeks ago and it was beautiful how many trees they have down there. For a place that's so rainy, Miami has so few trees. For a place that's so hot theres no shade trees. When I lived in Texas there were more trees, and that was in the plains. It's all flat too. The Midwest isnt as flat as people think. I can go around Saint Paul and see gorgeous river bluffs and cliffs. Florida is flat though.

But climate and aesthetics aside (dont get me started on architecture. I loathe stucco!) I just cant stand the vibe. The people suck. Many refuse to learn English, many are rude as hell. The only people with southern hospitality are the black people. The homeless people too, lol. They're the nicest people in much of Miami. The drivers are awful. Traffic sucks but after being in Atlanta I know it could be worse. But what I hate the most... is the vapid superficiality of it all. Miami is like that popular girl in high school that thinks expensive cars, clothing and accessories makes you cooler than everyone else. But most things are fake and theres very little true class. So much plastic surgery, too. So image oriented.

Lastly, it's one of those cities where "thug life" crap is glamorized. I visit every now and then and it seems way better than how it used to be in the 2000s but it's still there. People glamorize being "tough" and "ghetto" over being educated. Also, the Latino culture there is different. In Texas, it's more Mexican and feels friendly and warm. In Miami its weird... people from 3rd world countries who come to Miami, dont make a lot of money but spend what they make on luxury items and then think they're better than you. Never met so much prejudice against Mexicans than anywhere in Miami, btw. Maybe more so in Mississippi but is that somewhere y'all wanna compare to?

Old 05-19-2019, 10:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Did you not run into any Canadians, New Yawkers, Russians, Turks, Europeans??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Dallas is "huger" and "diverser" than Miami. I dont hate Dallas. As far as diversity? I have seen more diversity at my job in Saint Paul, Minnesota than I did pretty much any day in Miami. Having a bunch of Latinos isn't diversity.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I'm sure he also ran into plenty of Haitians and Jamaicans as well, but it seems like he's referring to the fact that Miami is overwhelmingly Latino as opposed to Dallas or St. Paul which are a bit more ethnically varied. The former definitely has a greater range of nationalities represented than South Florida does.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:52 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times
Boring is nice in certain phases of your life. People have different wants and needs when they are young and single, married with a family, or empty nest retirees. It's the difference between South Beach, Weston, and The Villages.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Lol New Yorkers as if they were their own nationality???

Actually no, in a typical day in Miami 95% (hell, sometimes 100%) of the people I saw were Hispanic, mostly Cuban. I'm talking about a day to day thing, I'm not talking "going to the beach" or "going downtown" "checking out that trendy restaurant in Wynwood." I'm talking about the day to day, go out to eat at Pollo Tropical, do some grocery shopping at Publix, maybe make a run to Walgreens at night. On a typical boring day like that, I mostly just saw Hispanics and mostly heard Spanish.

Versus here, I see people of all races and backgrounds every day. Granted I live in a much more urban environment but even when I lived somewhere more residential, I still saw plenty of whites, blacks, Mexicans, Asians. Lot of Somalians, some Hmong. And white people of all various ethnicities. Irish, Polish, German, Italians, Norwegians, Swedish, Finnish. Lots of Native Americans, too. Mostly Ojibwe, Dakota and Sioux. In Miami, the only Native Americans you see are the Miccosoukee tribe if you go west on 41. I'm surprised by the heavy amount of Native American influence here.

Miami's diversity is overshadowed by good old ethnic segregation. The black people on the north side, the non-Hispanic whites mostly in the east, the Cubans spread out but mostly in the middle and west. There's a difference between segregation and ethnic enclaves.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I'm sure he also ran into plenty of Haitians and Jamaicans as well, but it seems like he's referring to the fact that Miami is overwhelmingly Latino as opposed to Dallas or St. Paul which are a bit more ethnically varied. The former definitely has a greater range of nationalities represented than South Florida does.

Yea, a good amount of Haitians and Jamaicans, but not really in my neighbourhood. Actually very few black people lived where I grew up. Compared to where I lived in Saint Paul, not a black area at all (nor a "white" area. I saw all races.) But it wasn't hard to find black people. There's actually a lot and about 35% of the clientele where I work are black. Haitians and Jamaicans here are replaced by East Africans. Lotta Somalis and some Eritreans.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Actually no, in a typical day in Miami 95% (hell, sometimes 100%) of the people I saw were Hispanic, mostly Cuban. I'm talking about a day to day thing, I'm not talking "going to the beach" or "going downtown" "checking out that trendy restaurant in Wynwood." I'm talking about the day to day, go out to eat at Pollo Tropical, do some grocery shopping at Publix, maybe make a run to Walgreens at night. On a typical boring day like that, I mostly just saw Hispanics and mostly heard Spanish.
This is why non-Spanish speaking people prefer FLL and WPB. Miami is a Latino city/county outside of a few black/Caribbean areas. It's not for everyone. I'd say there is plenty of nicer places in South Florida but you hate the weather so you wouldn't like any of it. Personally, I won't live anywhere but South Florida. I thrive on the tropical weather. The idea of trees changing color (to me they just appear to be dying) and snow depresses me. I love that I can ride my bike along some scenic trails and then come back and jump in the pool, and I can do that any time of the year. Seasons suck.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:44 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
illegal aliens
flat landscape
year round heat
high cost of living
cramped and dirty
socially liberal politics
looks and feels like a third world nation
elite rich people

Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
illegal aliens
flat landscape
year round heat
high cost of living
cramped and dirty
socially liberal politics
looks and feels like a third world nation
elite rich people

Other than year round heat, you are describing just about any major city. This is not unique to Miami. Cities are always diverse with rich/poor areas, clean/dirty areas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami