Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Your hate for Miami must be pretty consuming for you to revive a nearly year old thread !

I see the same whiners can't help themselves.

You act like a year is a long time, especially in City-Data

And yea... that place scarred me after 18 years My family asked me if I plan to go back down there for my birthday this summer. I answered "Nope. This year I'm going north for my birthday. A few hours from the Canadian border on the shores of Lake Superior. Where its peaceful and quiet!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 01:16 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You act like a year is a long time, especially in City-Data

And yea... that place scarred me after 18 years My family asked me if I plan to go back down there for my birthday this summer. I answered "Nope. This year I'm going north for my birthday. A few hours from the Canadian border on the shores of Lake Superior. Where its peaceful and quiet!"
As if there is no peace and quiet in Florida....

Old 05-23-2019, 01:24 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Aside from weather, I don't care for South Florida in general. My other issue is too many transplants. Texas had a lot of transplants too, but they didn't overrun the natives, and native Texans aren't pushovers like native Floridians. You try to move to Texas and turn it to "how it is back home", then Texans will kick your ass! That's what I loved about Texas. Strong state pride and a sense of community, but still welcoming to outsiders. Same with Minnesota. People are proud to be from here and there's a strong sense of community. There's some community history and a lot more friendliness. South Florida is different. Its too transient to have that community feeling. People don't speak to their neighbours anymore.

I feel drained in tropical weather. Even up here, summer is my least favourite season. Not to say I hate summer, because I don't, but I enjoy fall, winter and spring more. As far as trees dying? Not at all. Fall colours are beautiful and we have more flowers in spring than Florida does.

Another thing is... I loathe the sunbelt aesthetic. This goes for Texas too, but I hate sunbelt suburbia. I hate strip malls and shopping centres and oversized lawns. I hate cookie cutter houses and I HATE stucco. Florida is stucco, stucco, stucco. To be fair I hate cookie cutter suburbs up north, too, but because the north is denser, older and more urban, you see it less here.

I get it, the South is not for you. I personally can't stand the north, as I mentioned. I hate seasons, I hate having to wait for good weather to come back. It's misery. And I can easily hang out in the hot/humid Fl weather and enjoy it. Feels "normal" to me and more than comfortable. And yes, when all the leaves are losing their vibrant green color, it's because they are dying. Then they fall off and rot on the ground, and create a huge mess to clean up. Leaving baron, ugly dead looking trees throughout the winter. There is nothing beautiful about it. It's depressing and a reminder of the cold, depressing winter on it's way. Time to winterize the pool. Bleh.

That said, you seem to lump all of Florida in with your distaste for Miami. There is areas of Florida with a strong sense of community. Just have to go to the smaller towns. It's why we have a house in Lake Placid. People wave as you drive by, very friendly, local feeling and a lot of community involvement. The police department does a ton of community oriented stuff as well. Totally different from South Florida. But that goes for any urban area. Even in MN.

You would probably find people are people no matter where you go, anywhere in the world. It's just not all that much different. Cities are never as community centric as the rural areas.

Seems you like where you went enough to come here and bash Florida. It's fine, I probably do the same thing. We always have to let everyone know how much better we are doing when we make big decisions. But don't think you are going to convince people like me that Florida sucks. To me it's absolute paradise.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM

38 posts, read 33,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Fair and accurate on both counts ...though some/many pedestrians don’t exactly follow the rules of the road either.

Want to watch confusion at its best—a red light with a green directional arrow....confuses the “Mensa” drivers every time...lol.

Add some Uber/Lyft drivers to the do no speak English crowd...though, as you correctly point out, not the types (business owners, not fast food servers) I drink with at Four Seasons, a number of whom live in the high priced building.
True, I'm not sure if some of these pedestrians have a death wish, but they sure act like it sometimes.

Yeah, forgot about the Uber/Lyft drivers that do not speak English. I had a friend visiting from out of town who took an Uber when he got in town and somehow the driver screwed up the address, so he was dropped off about a mile from the intended location because he couldn't explain to him that he's in the wrong area. Frustrating experience.

Haha, yeah I have witnessed the confusion with the red light, green arrow amongst these drivers. Hilarious! Though there is another one that may even top that. It's the roundabout in front of of Brickell City Center just before the Miami Ave drawbridge. WOW does that roundabout ever confuse the hell out of these drivers. I watch in amusement from my balcony as a driver in the roundabout circle and the driver at the yield sign try and figure out who has the right of way. I witness drivers all the time make a dead stop in the circle and let a pile of cars sitting at the yield sign through. Sometimes both drivers are confused so they just sit there until someone is brave enough to make a move. And that's not even the worst of it, I've witnessed drivers going the wrong way in the circle (clockwise). I'm really dumbfounded how some of these drivers here in Miami even passed their drivers test. That's assuming they're legally driving in the first place, lol.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:50 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Seems you like where you went enough to come here and bash Florida. It's fine, I probably do the same thing. We always have to let everyone know how much better we are doing when we make big decisions. But don't think you are going to convince people like me that Florida sucks. To me it's absolute paradise.
Amazing how many do this right? I have never posted in the Orlando or Philly forums. I left and moved on!

Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I get it, the South is not for you. I personally can't stand the north, as I mentioned. I hate seasons, I hate having to wait for good weather to come back. It's misery. And I can easily hang out in the hot/humid Fl weather and enjoy it. Feels "normal" to me and more than comfortable. And yes, when all the leaves are losing their vibrant green color, it's because they are dying. Then they fall off and rot on the ground, and create a huge mess to clean up. Leaving baron, ugly dead looking trees throughout the winter. There is nothing beautiful about it. It's depressing and a reminder of the cold, depressing winter on it's way. Time to winterize the pool. Bleh.

That said, you seem to lump all of Florida in with your distaste for Miami. There is areas of Florida with a strong sense of community. Just have to go to the smaller towns. It's why we have a house in Lake Placid. People wave as you drive by, very friendly, local feeling and a lot of community involvement. The police department does a ton of community oriented stuff as well. Totally different from South Florida. But that goes for any urban area. Even in MN.

You would probably find people are people no matter where you go, anywhere in the world. It's just not all that much different. Cities are never as community centric as the rural areas.

Eh, I don't completely hate Florida. Nor do I hate the South in general. (where did you get that idea?) But I wouldn't wanna live in the parts of Florida that I like either. The parts of Florida I do like, are the kinds that make me feel I'm in a Jimmy Buffett song. Warm, friendly with nice sandy beaches and quaint communities. Honestly, if I have to pick my favourite part of the state, it'd have to be the coastal panhandle. I also like the area where a lot of my family lives, around Lake City, Live Oak. I spent a good part of my childhood down there. Its kinda rednecky but also friendly. Too many confederate flags, though.

I am aware that Miami and South Florida in general is a different story. I have met some friendly down to earth folks down there too, but they themselves know they're in the minority. I view upstate FL same as I view GA or AL. A mix of friendly people but also some trashy sketchy areas (though still better than much of MS and LA) but not somewhere I'd wanna live for a variety of reasons. S. FL is a different story. I do like SW FL a little better, as it has some of the friendlier vibes of the rest of the state, but also has a bit too many retirees.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Redneck Haven !!!!! Lovely. 1 hr East from Redneck Capital of Fla, Jackhisville !!!

Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Redneck Haven !!!!! Lovely. 1 hr WEST from Redneck Capital of Fla, Jackhisville !!!
My misnake

Old 06-02-2019, 11:23 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I'll be reading the MIAMI threads on this board to get familiar w/ how things are. My fiance's always wanted to go for a vacation & I've never been to Miami specifically either & we just might go this summer for a few days. I've been to Ft. Lauderdale & Orlando for just a couple days & that was eons ago.

All we know is that in FL in general, there are lots of alligators & sinkholes to watch out for.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:29 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Im Miami there is NO need to speak english whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleemadness View Post
...Have fun but it is a horrible place for a family....if you want to pick up a few diseases and drop tons of cash, it is the place to be. (Have you seen the STD billboard on the 836 warning of the new strain of syphilis that has no cure (or was it another STD?)? Crazy stuff for sure....that's why we want out!
My fiance' & I personally JUST WANT TO VISIT. We'd never want to live there in a million yrs. But that STD & other diseases issue is concerning even to just visit. I don't think I knew of this incurable syphilis yet.

All these people who have diseases, they have to work somewhere. So where do many of them work? Restaurants, hotels, & other places that serve drinks & food. Well, here we are visiting or locals just to eat & enjoy a nice meal & those w/ diseases are the cooks, etc. in the back. God knows how they're making the food. They cough, sneeze all over it. Cut their fingers w/ a knife, getting infected blood all over the place, etc. & here we come along & eat it. Eeek.

When I said this to my fiance', as much as he loves tropical places, he actually doesn't want to travel to Maimi anymore, but maybe the Bahamas or something he said. I might still visit, but eat food that takes cooking & nothing like salads or something & maybe eat MOSTLY food that I got from grocery stores myself as much as I like eating out when traveling. Plus I believe in God, so I pray over everything anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami