Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM

9 posts, read 23,609 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am confused and super bored and thinking of moving out of NYC to may be South Beach or West Palm beach. I have also posted this in the NYC section to help me take my decision.

Here is my situation.
I am 28 years old (Male) single living in NYC(Manhattan) in a doorman building for the past 8 years. I rent a studio which is about 480 square feet. I pay $2500 which includes gym and a decent size pool. I pay around $1000/year in tips and etc charges to my building personnel(porters, doorman, maid, Christmas).

I have a great job ($$$$$$+bonus) only 15 min train ride from my apartment. The job offers me flexible hours which means I can work 4 days (35 hours per week).

After all of these perks I am bored, confused and some time frustrated. Initially I enjoyed NYC but now it gets on my nerves.

WHY?
*Dinner for two($60 on average including drinks)
*Expensive Night outs ($200pp Friday and Sat with couple of friends in a decent club/bar around Meat Packing Dist)
*On average more pretentious people and snobs..
*Less intimate(Women)relationships on average(else where 8/10)
*Stressful
*Fast pace (Time flies)
*Feel bored even having a circle of friends and things to do.
*Quality of life.

I thought I just needed a vacation. After taking few months off traveling to other cities domestic and international I found out that the quality of life (if I spend the same amount every month) is far better else where. This is only true if I find a job with the same salary, which is difficult to find in those cities including Miami.

I am planning to relocate to Miami or .... and commute every week to NYC (Mon-Thur). My company could pay me for travel and other expenses for NYC(atleast a part of it) and I will be working 4 days per week.

My Monthly budget could be any where from $3500 to $4000. What kind of living standard could I have with this kind of budget in Miami?

P.S' I am not planning to save money or lower my living standards. I want better quality of life with the same amount of money I spent each month.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM

551 posts, read 3,112,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ambitious View Post
*Dinner for two($60 on average including drinks)
*Expensive Night outs ($200pp Friday and Sat with couple of friends in a decent club/bar around Meat Packing Dist)
*On average more pretentious people and snobs..
*Less intimate(Women)relationships on average(else where 8/10)
*Stressful
*Fast pace (Time flies)
*Feel bored even having a circle of friends and things to do.
*Quality of life.
Add terrible traffic and poor public transportation to that list and you've just described Miami

In all seriousness though, a monthly budget of $3500-$4000 will not allow you to live the lifestyle you've just described. Miami is an expensive city with a poor quality of life. Most people visit South Beach, have a great time, and want to move here, but a trip to SoBe is in NO way representative of living in Miami. I even lived in the heart of SoBe, 2 blocks from the beach and a 1/2 block from all the famous nightclubs, and still thought it was a poor quality of life and was spending wayyyyy too much money. I think I have a pretty average standard of living (nothing extravagant). If you do think Miami is for you though, take the chance and come check it out for yourself. Worst case scenario, you won't like it and can move back. Best case scenario, you'll love it and never leave I guess my bottom line is that your money will probably be a little tight on the salary you described and your quality of life definitely won't be as good, but you may find happiness in other areas.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,230,821 times
I'm from NYC, and I have to say that Miami is expensive too. I agree with the above poster on all accounts.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,801,950 times
Is $3500-4000 your housing budget or your total budget? If it's your total budget forget it.

We moved from Westchester County to Broward County and although we were able to buy a bigger house here our cost of living really did not decline all that much.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,541,952 times
I don't believe you are going to be happy anywhere youi reside,because any place you live the novelty wears off pretty quick and thats where the confusion and boredom comes in to play.Miami is an expensive city as mentioned but has things that are free such as a beautiful sunrise over the ocean,beautiful palm trees and a beautiful bay with beautiful cruise ships that enter and leave this beautiful city.

Life is what you make it and you have to take time and smell the roses and see what God's nature provides for us day in and day out and enjoy what is in front of you ,that to me I consider a quality of life.

Last edited by noland123; 03-06-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM

551 posts, read 3,112,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I don't believe you are going to be happy anywhere youi reside,because any place you live the novelty wears off pretty quick and thats where the confusion and boredom comes in to play.Miami is an expensive city as mentioned but has things that are free such as a beautiful sunrise over the ocean,beautiful palm trees and a beautiful bay with beautiful cruise ships that enter and leave this beautiful city.

Life is what you make it and you have to take time and smell the roses and see what God's nature provides for us day in and day out and enjoy what is in front ,that to me I consider a quality of life.
Great post--as mentioned, if you're looking for money to buy you happiness and extravagant things, Miami's probably not a good venue. If you can find joy in the simple things in life, Miami may work out for you. It does has beautiful beaches, sunsets, a gorgeous, colorful skyline, and maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, but there's still something charming about palm trees to me...maybe because it reminds me of being on vacation...

Anyway, I think everybody's dead-on with their posts. Finding a place like you described (doorman, pool, etc.) will be very pricey here. I'm picturing some of the condos in Brickell that have all of these amenities...I bet they start upwards of $1600/mo. for a 1 br

Just a question though--how come you are willing to give up a six-figure salary in Manhattan with all the luxuries you described to a $42,000-$48,000 salary in Miami? You'll be scraping by. Is it purely because of wanting to try something new?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,300,486 times
I am from Brooklyn and I have a few things to add on.

1. Where in the heck are all you guys in NYC eating that its 60 bucks for two people? When I am home (Bk) we eat out all the time and at no time have we come close to 60 for too. That is even after tip.

2. If you are bored in NYC (I don't even see how that is possible) then you are going to be bored or unhappy regardless of where you live. You should really take a long look at your life and see whats going on. Hoping from one place to the next isn't going to help.

3. South Florida as others have said is just as expensive as NYC. Living in Brooklyn is on par money wise with living in Broward county. Bronx would be equal to pompano (again financially).

4. South Beach is extremely trendy so unless your in to that sort of thing you may want to think twice about the location you choose.

I suggest you travel around if your dead set on moving from NYC. Spend MONTHS at a time, different times of the year in cities you think you would like. Moving around is a huge under taking and moving to a place you may not like is really a waste of money.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 AM

431 posts, read 2,120,995 times
$60 for 2 with drinks in NYC? Where?? That's cheap! And i'm not being sarcastic. If you go to Miami trying to find a lower cost of living, good luck. You can find something cheaper but it won't be up to your standard of living. You get what you pay for, as they say. And if you think relationships with Miami women will be more intimate....LMAO...oh just wait. You will think NYC women are heaven sent.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,367,576 times
That is our average price for our casual nights out. So same here in Miami. Prices are going up everywhere. *Dinner for two($60 on average including drinks)

Same here on South Beach *Expensive Night outs ($200pp Friday and Sat with couple of friends in a decent club/bar around Meat Packing Dist)

We have our share here. And many are fakes, so its even funnier. *On average more pretentious people and snobs..

My sister moved to Manhatten almost a year ago, complaining of the same thing but here in South Florida. So you may find its not the city, it may be something else. *Less intimate(Women)relationships on average(else where 8/10)

This is all relative, there are people here that say Miami is much more stressfull overall than NYC. My sister says she has a less stressful life in NYC than she had in Miami. One reason she doesn't have to drive, she walks or takes public transit in NYC which is less stressful. . *Stressful

Time flies as you get older, I hate to tell you. Miami isn't a slow pace city anymore, FYI. *Fast pace (Time flies)

I think this happens anyplace you go after the magic wears off in a few years. Moving to a new place will give you that magic back. But in a few years the magic will be gone, and you will move again to get that magic back. Unless you learn to find the magic where you are. Trying to meet new people or going to different places on the weekend may help. *Feel bored even having a circle of friends and things to do.

This is subjective, what you or the next person see as a better quality of life, may not be a better quality of life for the next person. So this question only you can answer. *Quality of life.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,300,486 times
I still have to ask, where are you guys going and paying 60 dollars for two people anywhere? I mean I don't drink but even with me, my wife and son we don't pay that much. This is for NYC, Nashville, Chicago, South Florida, there are all places I have gone and had dinner and never paid that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami