Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
Thank you! This is quite helpful!

Personally I'd prefer a nice gym and/or tennis courts than a pool (or spa, towel service, etc). But I assume most people prefer pools and that's why most buildings feature them.
Usually a nice gym will have a nice spa to go with it.

For Tennis, you can look at Emerald in Brickell, Conrad Residences, or you can go a little further and up and rent by the big park on the bay in the 17th-20th range. There are tennis courts there as well as volleyball, tot lot, basketball, etc. Of the 4 buildings there, Quantum on the Bay will have the best gym and then the mid-rise Cite building with 1800 Club a close 3rd (though its a better building than Cite).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Not really downtown per se but the Opera Tower (17th and Bayshore) is pretty nice....

Old 06-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Not really downtown per se but the Opera Tower (17th and Bayshore) is pretty nice....
Its not as nice as Quantum or 1800 club which is why I left it off the list. The parking garage is a nightmare for most people and the elevators take forever. The best part of Opera is the big round balconies.

For the 2 bedrooms, the 2nd bedroom is small and often has a slider door so not much privacy. The studios don't have full kitchens or washer/dryers in them either.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I'll just say that there is a correlation to rent prices and features & amenities. In my experience, the things that drive costs up are: covered/secured parking, Pools and spas, tennis courts, gyms, valets, oversized balconies, views, concierge/front desk staff, and in-unit washer/dryer.
Of course, location makes a huge difference as well.
Since the OP mentioned biking, access to the citibike system might also be a consideration.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM

64 posts, read 67,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'll just say that there is a correlation to rent prices and features & amenities. In my experience, the things that drive costs up are: covered/secured parking, Pools and spas, tennis courts, gyms, valets, oversized balconies, views, concierge/front desk staff, and in-unit washer/dryer.
Of course, location makes a huge difference as well.
Since the OP mentioned biking, access to the citibike system might also be a consideration.
Agreed. I think each person has to rank exactly what is important to them so they can minimize expense for things they don't personally want/need. For example, I'd rather save money and not have a pool/spa or valet. Others may. Knowing what each building has helps us decide. Thanks to all who have been describing them, it's a big help

Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 PM

57 posts, read 87,063 times
To the OP - I have the same lifestyle/desires as you and lived in Brickell all of last year at the Plaza. I temporarily moved away from Miami and now moving back, but this time looking at North/Mid Beach as I'd like to live on the beach this time around.

Nevertheless, I always found Edgewater and Midtown too up and coming for me. You should rome around on the weeknights there and you might see what I mean, it's not as walkable as a place as Brickell.

For $2k you can get a large 1bd (maybe a den) in a luxury high rise, my opinions are:

- Plaza: excellent with awesome bay views, great gym that overlooks the bay as well as competent staff, probably best bang for the buck;

- Millicento: found it to be a bit too 'cold', very high end fixtures however, negative aspect, you can't park your own car - must always valet it, both in and out which I find to be a pain

- Icon: Too big and pool shut down for probably longer than a year, the two buildings towards the bay are non-valet, if you get a unit in the W bldg, you can only park via valet, didn't think it was best bang for buck, a bit too hyped

- Brickellhouse: forget parking, not only is the parking garage not working (google it), but you will have to valet your car and they will most likely park it in the open lot across the street or in one of the other bldgs, I hear it takes about 20 mns to get your car

- The Mark/Yacht Club: Two separate apartments but right next door to each other, a bit more old school but great prices, don't have a real opinion here, wasn't for me

- Panorama Brickell: If you can wait till Fall to move in, they're taking applications now and giving some specials I hear - tallest bldg below Atlanta but I wonder if it will be a 'ghost town' for a few years to fill all that space;

- Neo Vertika: Stayed here for a month when I first got to Miami. It was okay, the split loft plan sounds cool but awkward to place furniture in, I didn't like it very much and found it to be away from the action

- Nine @ Mary Brickell: This is the only bldg I'm looking at in Brickell at the moment if it comes down to me moving to the neighborhood I think this is where I'll stay. Great price, convenient, very nice layout and finishings but good luck getting a bay view.

Other ones to look at are Infinity and Axis. I had friends stay there and they seemed to enjoy it but nothing too great.

Downtown Miami is too seedy for me, my friend once told me that it looks like NYC in the 70s.

Last edited by dothrakirider; 06-17-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
To the OP - I have the same lifestyle/desires as you and lived in Brickell all of last year at the Plaza. I temporarily moved away from Miami and now moving back, but this time looking at North/Mid Beach as I'd like to live on the beach this time around.

Nevertheless, I always found Edgewater and Midtown too up and coming for me. You should rome around on the weeknights there and you might see what I mean, it's not as walkable as a place as Brickell.

For $2k you can get a large 1bd (maybe a den) in a luxury high rise, my opinions are:

- Plaza: excellent with awesome bay views, great gym that overlooks the bay as well as competent staff, probably best bang for the buck;

- Millicento: found it to be a bit too 'cold', very high end fixtures however, negative aspect, you can't park your own car - must always valet it, both in and out which I find to be a pain

- Icon: Too big and pool shut down for probably longer than a year, the two buildings towards the bay are non-valet, if you get a unit in the W bldg, you can only park via valet, didn't think it was best bang for buck, a bit too hyped

- Brickellhouse: forget parking, not only is the parking garage not working (google it), but you will have to valet your car and they will most likely park it in the open lot across the street or in one of the other bldgs, I hear it takes about 20 mns to get your car

- The Mark/Yacht Club: Two separate apartments but right next door to each other, a bit more old school but great prices, don't have a real opinion here, wasn't for me

- Panorama Brickell: If you can wait till Fall to move in, they're taking applications now and giving some specials I hear - tallest bldg below Atlanta but I wonder if it will be a 'ghost town' for a few years to fill all that space;

- Neo Vertika: Stayed here for a month when I first got to Miami. It was okay, the split loft plan sounds cool but awkward to place furniture in, I didn't like it very much and found it to be away from the action

- Nine @ Mary Brickell: This is the only bldg I'm looking at in Brickell at the moment if it comes down to me moving to the neighborhood I think this is where I'll stay. Great price, convenient, very nice layout and finishings but good luck getting a bay view.

Other ones to look at are Infinity and Axis. I had friends stay there and they seemed to enjoy it but nothing too great.

Downtown Miami is too seedy for me, my friend once told me that it looks like NYC in the 70s.
Very helpful post, thanks!

Is valet parking only common in Brickell and DT Miami? Sounds annoying. Further, are all these parking garages on ground level and/or sub levels? With flooding, I'd much prefer a building where assigned spot was on Fl 1 or higher.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Regarding the list above:

Panorama - Part Hotel, Part Hotel, Part Retail - Doesn't sound fun

Infinity is actually one of the best buildings in Brickell, not sure why your friends don't like it. The pool lost a lot of Sun unfortunately from the SLS but if you get a West facing unit, you get endless views with some water as well. One of the best staffed buildings in all of downtown & Brickell. Anything over 40th floor gets you access to the private rooftop with amazing views, club room and a hot tub. Building has a nice gym. Parking garage is 1st come 1st serve so you can park close or far away from everyone. Valet option if you want it, great restaurant by the lobby, very close to Publix and located away from the very busy 7th & 8th street.

9 @ Mary Brickell is brand new and nice, but it focuses on Short Term rentals so you won't get to know your neighbors much.

Neo Vertika really cool, especially if you like 2 story lofts. Great pool area, fun young crowd, right on the river, nice gym and easy access to i-95.

Others include Brickell on the River (very nice building, some 2 story lofts and some regular 1/1s if you want them). 4 story gym, nice pool & spa area.

1060 Brickell - Nice gym, cool amenities like a golf simulator room, 2 towers, back entrance puts you right at Mary Brickell Village. Some 2 story loft options for a 1 bedroom giving you 1000sq ft of space.

The Club @ Brickell - Big balconies, some with great waterviews (until the tallest building south of NYC is built next year), nice pool/gym area, friendly staff, restaurant in lobby, a few steps to the bay for a nice run/walk.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 AM

18 posts, read 14,825 times
Since you specifically mentioned tennis courts.... many of the buildings on Brickell Key along with some of the older buildings further south down Brickell Ave have them. Courts Brickell Key used to share courts with Carbonell. I don't know if that partnership is still in effect or not, you should ask. Courts Brickell Key also has racquetball. At least one of the Tequesta buildings has tennis and I THINK they all have racquetball. Brickell Key 1 has both as well. In Brickell, the Mark has tennis and is right on the bay with a parking garage that is above ground. Brickell Harbour is an older building right on the bay with tennis courts but parking is below ground. Further south, I'm pretty sure The Palace, Atlantis, Imperial, Skyline all have tennis. I'm sure there are several more but those are the ones I remember. Many of the older buildings are also a better value from a price standpoint with better closet space and bigger floorplans. I personally liked living on the south end of Brickell as well as on Brickell Key. In both cases, you are out of the immediate madness of Brickell but can easily walk in when you want to. Brickell Key can be difficult to get in and out of during rush hour. If you choose something downtown like 50 Biscayne and you prefer quiet, you'll probably want to plan time away during some of the big events like Ultra. I also don't recommend living within a block of a construction site that is in its early stages.... lots of dust and noise. Most of the current crop is probably past that stage now but I'd pay attention to it while visiting units.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Regarding the list above:

Panorama - Part Hotel, Part Hotel, Part Retail - Doesn't sound fun

Infinity is actually one of the best buildings in Brickell, not sure why your friends don't like it. The pool lost a lot of Sun unfortunately from the SLS but if you get a West facing unit, you get endless views with some water as well. One of the best staffed buildings in all of downtown & Brickell. Anything over 40th floor gets you access to the private rooftop with amazing views, club room and a hot tub. Building has a nice gym. Parking garage is 1st come 1st serve so you can park close or far away from everyone. Valet option if you want it, great restaurant by the lobby, very close to Publix and located away from the very busy 7th & 8th street.

9 @ Mary Brickell is brand new and nice, but it focuses on Short Term rentals so you won't get to know your neighbors much.

Neo Vertika really cool, especially if you like 2 story lofts. Great pool area, fun young crowd, right on the river, nice gym and easy access to i-95.

Others include Brickell on the River (very nice building, some 2 story lofts and some regular 1/1s if you want them). 4 story gym, nice pool & spa area.

1060 Brickell - Nice gym, cool amenities like a golf simulator room, 2 towers, back entrance puts you right at Mary Brickell Village. Some 2 story loft options for a 1 bedroom giving you 1000sq ft of space.

The Club @ Brickell - Big balconies, some with great waterviews (until the tallest building south of NYC is built next year), nice pool/gym area, friendly staff, restaurant in lobby, a few steps to the bay for a nice run/walk.
Excellent descriptions. Re Nine @ Mary Brickell - some really poor reviews on the review websites (Yelp/Google) make one question the building. Dothrakirider, did you end up moving in here? What has been your experience?

Marc - you mention the focus on short term rentals... does this mean they rent directly with different term lengths as opposed to sales and then one rents from an owner?

Finally - I see no one has mentioned the Bond at Brickell (1080). Any reason why? Is this building not as desired as the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami