Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times

Advertisements

Somehow they have money for new metrorail cars. I'd rather see a rail line go west than new cars. I don't think the cars are so bad. As long as they keep them clean, they're fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Somehow they have money for new metrorail cars. I'd rather see a rail line go west than new cars. I don't think the cars are so bad. As long as they keep them clean, they're fine.
The metrorail cars are over 33 years old now , are outdated and beyond their shelf life. The county used it half cent sales tax revenue to pay for the $300 million dollar cost for 136 new cars.

The cost of the new cars would barely get you 2 miles of a new rail line at that price.

Video : Miami-Dade County Unveils New Metrorail Cars, Set For Debut Next Year | NBC 6 South Florida

Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 PM

Hopefully the new cars will get more people on them. Bring the rail west and ridership would be increased greatly. Having to take a bus or drive to Metrorail parking out east defeats the purpose of taking the rail when the worst of the traffic is the east west commute. I love the new cars - but they need to get more people on the trains. The east/west issue should've been addressed decades ago. It keeps not happening and it keeps costing more and more. Miami is so shortsighted and horribly planned though. Not surprising at all.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 AM

604 posts, read 618,165 times
No wonder the ridershp is falling.

an experience from last week: I leave my office, check the app and rush to get the metromover so i could catch the northbound metrorail from Brickell to Palmetto.
the metromover arrives and it was particularly empty, being rush hour. when I boarded, I understood why: a homeless woman , completely soiled in her own excrement was laying on a corner. the stench was unbearable and i had to leave the car on the next station.
When i finally got to brickell, the train I was hoping to catch already left. The next green northbound train came 50 minute later, after a couple of oranges and an 'out of service' one. And this is rush hour service!
Long story short, it took me 2 hours to get home.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:43 PM

That's horrible oronzous!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
MDT is entering in to a death spiral--service gets worse, fewer people ride, rinse and repeat. I'm glad I am getting out of town before things get really bad. But I hope it improves so I can come back and visit (sorry, but I'm not visiting if it means dealing with the traffic violence and road rage while on vacation--I know better!)

Only way for MDT to attract riders is to do what other successful transit cities to--consolidate the bus system into a FREQUENT bus network throughout the day connected to a regional rapid transit network that goes places. Start taking the SMART corridor lane space NOW and use it for dedicated bus lanes. And by frequent I mean reliably every 10 minutes or better not every 15-20 minutes on paper but often 30-45+ minutes on the ground.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Yet there is seemingly endless money for White Elephants like a completely uneeded "signature" brige which will have the same play-doh like concrete rails as every other new bridge.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:06 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yet there is seemingly endless money for White Elephants like a completely uneeded "signature" brige which will have the same play-doh like concrete rails as every other new bridge.
That bridge is a huge waste of money, you can use that what? almost $1B on improving transit, making it frequent for once, improvements on bike lanes, infrastructure, green space etc..

Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This is terrible. The city and the metropolitan area are both seeing an influx of new residents and commuter rail is finally about to see a stop in downtown with connections to Metromover and Metrorail, and they're now reducing hours? That's incredibly ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is terrible. The city and the metropolitan area are both seeing an influx of new residents and commuter rail is finally about to see a stop in downtown with connections to Metromover and Metrorail, and they're now reducing hours? That's incredibly ridiculous.
I was hoping that transport would improve, and ever since I moved out of the city, every time I would visit it would just get worse and worse. And now that I'm back in MTL and got used to the great transit coverage, I get so impatient and never even use transit when I go back to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami