Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM

21,015 posts, read 27,114,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
As for Giant your assessment was true in the 90's and early 2000's it is making a stunning comeback right now considering the competition it is now facing. The merger of the parent company Ahold with Food Lion 's Delhaize has actually help in the aspect that Giant Food of Maryland is no longer in alignment with Giant Carlyle and is managed independently while still being part of the Ahold group.
Quote:
Same was said about many others,Food Lion comes to mind,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl
Food Lion failed quickly in Florida. It is also not up to par with other Ahold Delhaize banners Giant-Landover (Maryland), Giant-Carlisle (Pennsylvania)/Martin's, Hannaford, and Stop & Shop.

The Richmond, Virginia, area will be a mess with remaining Martin's stores closing and Food Lion stores undergoing minimal improvements with supermarkets Publix and Wegman's and limited assortment/discount grocers Aldi and Lidl making moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:21 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,890,625 times
I've never noticed the Ingles name being the Spanish word until this thread!

A lot of Aldis products are made by the big brand names but packaged for Aldis. You can tell by the product fonts and colors. The no name box cereal that's cheaper than Publix even with the B1G1 free deals is really brand name cereal. Tuna, condensed milk, paper plates, paper towels, bagged salad, organic milk, gluten free cookies, etc. Publix can't or won't compete. Still, Aldi's is a much smaller store and you can't get everything there.

One pet peeve I have about Publix is no matter how much is on my list, I'll come home with at least one thing missing. Every single time. Their inventory is terrible. Then they like to move around the products on the shelf filling up the empty areas so it doesn't look like they're out of anything.

I also can't believe that the top grocery in the country constantly has expired stuff on the shelves. The last time I had to find an employee because I had seen it 3 times - and it was milk! The employee brought out a fresh batch when I asked so they had it all along but didn't put it out. How can this be considered to be the best?! Their customer service IS second to none. They will help you with anything with a smile and returns are no questions asked even if you lost your receipt. They just need to step up their meats/produce A LOT and get their inventory issues under control. Then they'll be great.

Another thing - fruit flies the last few visits. Move rotting fruit off the floor!

For cheap gas, don't forget to do the $10 off $50 gas card deals when Publix has them once or month or so. That gives you an additional 20% off the price when you pay with the gift card. T-Mobile customers also get Shell discounts every so often with their T-Mobile Tuesday app. There's one today.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,111,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
A lot of Aldis products are made by the big brand names but packaged for Aldis. You can tell by the product fonts and colors. The no name box cereal that's cheaper than Publix even with the B1G1 free deals is really brand name cereal. Tuna, condensed milk, paper plates, paper towels, bagged salad, organic milk, gluten free cookies, etc. Publix can't or won't compete. Still, Aldi's is a much smaller store and you can't get everything there.
The package design of the Aldi store brands are completely specified by Aldi. Aldi uses names and designs that make their store brand products look similar to well known name brand products. A similar package design is absolutely not an evidence that the products are made by name brand manufacturer.
Some products are made by well known name brand manufacturer others are not. Most important: It doesn't matter whether a product is made by a well known name brand manufacturer or a manufacturer that solely produces private label products. Every manufacturer can produce top quality products.

In most European markets it's completely normal that conventional or upscale supermarkets have different levels of store brand products. At least three (budget, middle range, premium). The prices for the "budget" store brand products are almost always identical to the Aldi or Lidl prices. The question is whether these "budget" store brand products from conventional or upscale grocery chains offer the same quality as the Aldi and Lidl products? I have the impression that they are mostly slightly inferior.

Going upscale is the best way to evade the direct competition with grocery chains like Aldi and Lidl.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 PM

253 posts, read 433,046 times
Publix is fine if you prefer to show up like a dolt at any hour and throw items into the cart without price awareness or concern. That's not my style and it's why I prefer Aldi. As a handicapper I know that at certain hours Aldi will be jammed with not enough checkout clerks, while at other hours it will be a smooth walk through.

I prioritize those hours. Not complicated.

I've primarily focused on Aldi produce. The chain also has exceptional value in items like Moser Roth dark chocolate, which are individually wrapped and far superior in quality and price than anything Publix allows. Same with almond milk and take-and-bake pizzas and so many other items. The Simply Nature organic products are all over the store, highly rated, and less than half the cost of a similar item at Publix or even Target/Walmart.

There are numerous online articles devoted to what to buy at Aldi and what to avoid. Naturally the dolts won't find articles like that, as opposed to wandering into Publix with blinders on and being happy at that bloated bill.

The best thing about Publix is probably that $10 off $50 gas card that is offered every month or so. Now that's nice value. Not every oil company participates but a couple of Top Tier gas cards are available -- Shell and Exxon/Mobil. Top Tier designation is more than worth the extra few cents per gallon. Handicapping isn't solely about cheapest price overall. The detergents in Top Tier more than justify the slightly higher cost, especially when you can offset that with creative use of the Publix 10/50 coupon. In the Miami area the cheapest gas is often in the Miami Gardens region, not far north of the Palmetto. I don't go out of my way to go there but it is often on my route, especially during football season with nearby Canes games. I can use the Fuel Rewards card at Shell while paying with a Shell gas card from Publix. A few percent here and a few percent there.

The problem is finding a way to justify a $50 spend at Publix to qualify for the 10/50 gas card. They don't just hand it to you. In my ignorant pre-Aldi days it was no problem to dump $50 in one stop at Publix. Now it is rarely sensible. The coming week would be a rare opportunity, based on all the Buy One/Get One offerings, from that iheartpublix.com advance notice post from yesterday.

Naturally they aren't using the 10/50 promotion this week. Publix invariably finds a way to tease and disappoint at the same time.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
In the winter we are in FL and shop at Publix. Personally I think they are overrated and expensive. I prefer Market 32 aka Price Chopper and Shop-rite to Publix. As an example when we were in FL I bought a bag of a particular snack at Publix, $3.59. Stopped in the Commissary and it was $1.50.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 PM

421 posts, read 287,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion failed quickly in Florida. It is also not up to par with other Ahold Delhaize banners Giant-Landover (Maryland), Giant-Carlisle (Pennsylvania)/Martin's, Hannaford, and Stop & Shop.

The Richmond, Virginia, area will be a mess with remaining Martin's stores closing and Food Lion stores undergoing minimal improvements with supermarkets Publix and Wegman's and limited assortment/discount grocers Aldi and Lidl making moves.
One problem was when Ahold took over Ukrop's and turned them into Martins's for Ahold.The Giant(landover) name was well known and would have done better but Ahold and the USA President Carl Schlickler were afraid of the Unions so they converted them to Martins and they never did well.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,890,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
The package design of the Aldi store brands are completely specified by Aldi. Aldi uses names and designs that make their store brand products look similar to well known name brand products. A similar package design is absolutely not an evidence that the products are made by name brand manufacturer.
Some products are made by well known name brand manufacturer others are not. Most important: It doesn't matter whether a product is made by a well known name brand manufacturer or a manufacturer that solely produces private label products. Every manufacturer can produce top quality products.

In most European markets it's completely normal that conventional or upscale supermarkets have different levels of store brand products. At least three (budget, middle range, premium). The prices for the "budget" store brand products are almost always identical to the Aldi or Lidl prices. The question is whether these "budget" store brand products from conventional or upscale grocery chains offer the same quality as the Aldi and Lidl products? I have the impression that they are mostly slightly inferior.

Going upscale is the best way to evade the direct competition with grocery chains like Aldi and Lidl.
Yes, of course, not everything is brand name. They have lots of German products. But there are lots that are and they're pretty easy to spot. Manufacturers don't want it getting out what they do for who, but they most definitely do make lots of products for Aldi's at substantially reduced prices.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post

Giant of Maryland does the same.It also is the only mid Atlantic grocer to have it's own FDA inspectors on the receiving dock to inspect every load of produce that comes in.Aldi and others do not.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:02 AM

21,015 posts, read 27,114,612 times
Quote:
One problem was when Ahold took over Ukrop's and turned them into Martins's for Ahold.The Giant(landover) name was well known and would have done better but Ahold and the USA President Carl Schlickler were afraid of the Unions so they converted them to Martins and they never did well.
Food Lion is worse than Martin's. I project more supermarkets in the greater Richmond, Virginia, area going dark and Ahold Delhaize leaving the market.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion is worse than Martin's. I project more supermarkets in the greater Richmond, Virginia, area going dark and Ahold Delhaize leaving the market.
Not going to happen.Giant(Maryland)is already expanding south ,developments are in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami