Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Coño...
Entiendo lo que estás diciendo.

Hee-hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:18 PM

41 posts, read 38,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm going to visit Miami in September.

I'm going to return to some areas I lived in (briefly) in Ft. Lauderdale years ago.

I've been learning Spanish consistently for a couple of years.

I know that obviously, Spanish is widely spoken in Miami.

I don't know Miami well. I only know of Miami Beach and know Lauderdale much better.

I'd like to be in the vicinity of where I can hear it and hopefully casually converse with people in Spanish.

Such as bars, cafes, etc.

Does anyone have any places they can recommend?

Thank you.
I know this post is old but Hialeah would be your best bet. Almost every resident there speaks it. I don't even remember speaking a word of English while I was there. Then again, I am brown and "Hispanic-looking". Cubans are a little tricky to understand at first if you're not used to their fast Spanish, even if you are a Spanish-speaking Hispanic, such as my case. South Beach is heavily Spanish-speaking as well, despite being a major tourist destination. Latinos in bars and restaurants won't use any English with you if they see you physically "look" Hispanic and some will even reply in Spanish if you ask them a question in English. Overall, South Florida is even more Spanish speaking than the most Spanish speaking neighborhoods in NYC such as Washington Heights and Inwood in Manhattan.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 AM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times
Pretty much everywhere if you speak it well enough.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
Default There is a nice app

that you can install either on your phone or pc to practice any language you want. U can call them to 1-877-585-5194 and they will send it to your email or something and it's free. Mom have it in her pc and it's lovely. It even correct phonetics etc.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times
Be careful though. I find that some of the Hispanic immigrants get mad when they learn that you speak Spanish better than they speak English.

It's so hypocritical. They freak out when someone says that we should make English the official language of the United States. But then they get mad at you for speaking to them in Spanish. If they can speak to us in English, why can't we speak to them in Spanish, particularly when we speak it better than they do?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,778 times
Echoing what everyone else has said - you can practice Spanish everywhere in Miami. I work at one of the four largest global CPA firms, and I hear Spanish spoken even inside the office on a daily basis. You won't find that essentially anywhere else. There are groups on MeetUp.com that gather weekly to practice speaking a particular language (English and Spanish are popular). That's always an option if you want something more structured and don't want to wing it while you're out and about in the city.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Dey don't espeak Espaneesh in Miami, dey espeak Cuban!

Old 02-04-2018, 01:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Be careful though. I find that some of the Hispanic immigrants get mad when they learn that you speak Spanish better than they speak English.

It's so hypocritical. They freak out when someone says that we should make English the official language of the United States. But then they get mad at you for speaking to them in Spanish. If they can speak to us in English, why can't we speak to them in Spanish, particularly when we speak it better than they do?
I find it hypocritical when they make fun of "gringos" who speak Spanish with a thick accent when they themselves can't speak a lick of English.

Reminds me of that one day I was with my dad and siblings and we were going to eat at Denny's and they closed the Denny's as it was sold and was turned into a Chinese grocery store. To which my dad (who is Cuban, mind you) responded with "Damn Chinese, buying everything in this country. Soon we're all gonna have to speak Chinese!" and I'm like "Dad... you barely even speak English what are you talking about??"

Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 PM

18,452 posts, read 8,282,661 times
....I speak Spanish with a very heavy southern accent....on purpose

Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 AM

505 posts, read 393,533 times
Spsnish AM stations have a very good intonation, try old people in the domino park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami