Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 PM

343 posts, read 254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldh View Post
I currently live in South beach. Been here for 6 months and am already tired of it. My gf and I are 26 and 25 yr old black professionals originally from NY. The experiment of SB is over it doesnt feel like we could build a real life here. Im looking to move to an area that is diverse but that has a sizable AA community? I work in Miami Lakes and she works in Coconut Grove. An area close to work would be preferable. Any suggestions guys?
What kind of work are you two doing on south beach? I considering a move to miami beach next year. Im in tourism especially beach tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That is a poor area and has some apartments which are never good to live near. Perrine and Howard have some better areas. The canal separates Richmond Heights from the more pricey homes but once you go south of 152 street the segregation becomes less evident.
True, north of the canal it's infinite times better. Near the Country Club on Palmetto Estates there's some good blocks too, and it's nowhere as expensive.

Just by looking at Google Maps Satellite you can see the disparity around there and the better and worse areas there, by the lot (and house) sizes (usually -> bigger = better areas) and the better roofs, landscaping, etc.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What kind of work are you two doing on south beach? I considering a move to miami beach next year. Im in tourism especially beach tourism.
Got know little Spanish

Old 09-01-2017, 08:04 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
South Beach and Brickell are probably the only places with the density and vibrancy that will give you something similar to NY. As far as an abundance of middle class and professional blacks, have you considered Atlanta? I just don't think that exists in South Florida. The black population is heavily Caribbean and Haitian who are recent immigrants themselves.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
.. The black population is heavily Caribbean and Haitian who are recent immigrants themselves.
many of whom are professionals and many of whom are transplants from NYC and other northern cities and have lived in the USA for decades.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 12,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldh View Post
Any insight on the miami shores neighborhood?
My husband lived in that area for a year when he moved from Atlanta to work in Miami. He absolutely loved that area....it was very quiet. It doesn't have a large African-American population, but if you're willing to let that slide for a quiet community, then you guys should look into Miami Shores. My husband's back in Atlanta and although he loves Atlanta, Miami Shores became a special place for him....who knows, it might become home for you and your girlfriend.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM

64 posts, read 91,901 times
Miami Shores is a mostly white neighborhood, but it is about 20% black, mostly concentrated on the western parts of the village. El Portal and Biscayne Park are also nice neighborhoods with sizable black populations.

As others have said, you won't find truly middle class majority black areas in Miami. But I do think neighborhoods in NE Miami-Dade, along the Biscayne Corridor have a good mix of Hispanic/Anglo/Black populations.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
South Beach and Brickell are probably the only places with the density and vibrancy that will give you something similar to NY. As far as an abundance of middle class and professional blacks, have you considered Atlanta? I just don't think that exists in South Florida. The black population is heavily Caribbean and Haitian who are recent immigrants themselves.
Why would the black population being Caribbean or Haitian be a problem?

Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Please keep in mind that many black people in South Florida do not like being called African American because they do not identify with that but their country of origin may they be Latino, Cuban, Jamaican, Haitian, Trinidadian, etc.

One of my BFFs is black but Cuban and is offended when someone refers to her as AA. She identifies with being Cuban and Latino.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
The OP said AA, he did not say black. Which is why Caribbean and Haitian are mentioned, not because it is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami