Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 4,161 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move for some time already to Miami but my concern was that it would be really difficult to find a software engineering job there. I have done a lot of research and it seems the situation is not getting better (not many new software startups or big companies coming) but maybe I'm wrong.

I have 6 years of experience working both for startups and larger companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,434 times
Most jobs in Miami are underpaid. Why would you like to come under such conditions?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:15 AM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Dagobert most firms hiring software folks in Miami are looking for people who are bilingual in Spanish. If you are... that will definitely help.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:52 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
First, I would never move to any new city without a job already lined up--whether relocating with my current employer/position (as I did with my tech firm) or an offer from a new company in hand...sounds like you are considering a move hoping to find your software job after you arrive --I highly advise against that if such is the case. Take your time, put the horse before the cart, and do it right...Miami is not going anywhere--do your research, line up interviews and move here AFTER you have the job lined up. If you cannot receive interviews, stating you will be in the area on certain dates with some flexibility, then that will tell you to stay put.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-03-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Most jobs in Miami are underpaid. Why would you like to come under such conditions?
I would like to experience life in Miami after living in a couple of cities in Europe and US

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Dagobert most firms hiring software folks in Miami are looking for people who are bilingual in Spanish. If you are... that will definitely help.
Yes, I've heard Spanish is really important but I find it strange that it would be so important in software engineering. All the languages/documentation/etc are on English and if product is for South American market, usually product or project managers communicate with clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
First, I would never move to any new city without a job already lined up--whether relocating with my current employer/position (as I did with my tech firm) or an offer from a new company in hand...sounds like you are considering a move hoping to find your software job after you arrive --I highly advise against that if such is the case. Take your time, put the horse before the cart, and do it right...Miami is not going anywhere--do your research, line up interviews and move here AFTER you have the job lined up. If you cannot receive interviews, stating you will be in the area on certain dates with some flexibility, then that will tell you to stay put.
Thank you for your advice. I'm thinking about this for a couple of months already. I'll send 20-30 resumes for a test and see will there be any concrete responses.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Miami is capital of Latin America and Caribbean in term of influence so knowing some spainsh is important well some jobs not all of them.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 40,729 times
Yes you would not a lot of software engineering jobs available. They severely underpay. They would also most likely try to offer you contact employment. Temporary with no benefits. I work alongside software engineers and have heard there struggles regarding employment in the field. Being bilingual seems like a necessity here in Miami no matter the job.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 14,338 times
I'm a software engineer in the Bay Area, formerly with Amazon. I am planning a relocation to Miami to operate a new permissioned distributed ledger company founded with VCs in Silicon Valley. I know the area very well, and have plenty of relatives.

I remember a few years ago, the field was rather new in Miami. Today, I have heard from various sources that there is a burgeoning tech scene catering to 'gateway Americas' - whatever that means. Regardless, you must acclimate to Miami, it's a tough cookie. You'll never know if you don't try, but there might be an issue with Spanish. My spouse learned it, or attempted to, as should you.

Paradise is neither free nor easy to get or keep, but mindset will go a long way in this city. Those 'NY values' will help I think, but I'm sure you'll find Miami more laid back, and even cooler than NYC at times. There is something in Miami, some kinda magic.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Paradise does not exist.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 69,831 times
I work in tech albeit I work remotely for the same company (which is based in FL just not Miami) I had prior to my moving to Miami. I've looked around at the tech jobs here and despite what's posted on this forum at least on the major jobs sites I don't see tech jobs requiring Spanish. I have seen some that says it'd be a plus though, but not as many as you'd expect based on the comments here. Let's be realistic unless you're directly dealing with customers most tech people are in the background anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: