Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times

Advertisements

any news on Palmetto Bay area, any damage, I haven't heard from any of my family down there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 8,428 times
I haven't heard from Palmetto Bay, but Pinecrest lost power.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
some areas and establishments sure seem to be recovering quite quickly.....messages from Facebook posts indicate Il Gabbiano will reopen this evening at 5PM, Pane & Vino in Miami Beach tomorrow, Casa de Montecristo Prime Cigar tomorrow night.

Here are a bunch more for those of you who stuck it out and/or are just returning and are tired of eating ramen noodles:

After Hurricane Irma, These Restaurants Are Now Open | Miami New Times

Miami strong !!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Miami Beach looks great, just aren't letting people in until tomorrow @ Noon.

Lots of Miami without power and cell service, don't rush back. Broward boiling water until further notice.
Thank you for the update!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Anybody know how Coral Gables is, between Gables High and the library along Riviera???

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Update: while power, AC, and running water back on at my Brickell building, front desk told me television and wifi service are out. (Who was the Mensa genius who chose satellite instead of wiring the building for cable in Miami?)...unsure about cell phone coverage. You might consider this and check with your neighbors if these are operating yet and important to you--I work from home so very important to me.

Also--Conrad Hotel and Four Seasons Hotel in Brickell not open as of yet. JW Marriott is but their restaurants are not. This as of noon on Tuesday. YMMV but moral of story is no need to rush back and expect limited services when you do.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-12-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM

44 posts, read 129,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies in the wind View Post
845,100 miami dade households without power out of 1,114,100 households. That's almost everybody
yep. talk about an obsolete and inadequate infrastructure. There are broken power poles everywhere....made out of wood. Really? How are these even used today in 2017 in miami?

So almost every FPL customer lost power and this was an indirect hit by a category 3 hurricane. Somebody sucks at their jobs.

I wont even ask why arent power lines underground in Miami. I know they are underground in Brickell. Why not everywhere? costs? bull****, it can be done. A lot of other cities have done it.

Let me guess, the money will be spent in another stadium.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Survived the hurricane with minimal damage. We lost power Sunday morning and heard that we may not have it restored until next Sunday. We lost a 100+ year old huge banyan tree that had been in front of our house, but got uprooted right at the tail end of the storm Sunday night. Fortunately, it fell across the street rather than in our yard or on our house. Other than that we came through it fine.

I was just admitted to Mt. Sinai hospital today (non-hurricane related) and should be here until Sunday. Normally, I don't like being in the hospital, but it's nice to have electricity, cable, Internet, and especially a/c!

Miami Beach was completely closed until 8:00am this morning (Tuesday) so we didn't know what shape our oceanfront condo was in until this afternoon. It's only about 3 miles from the hospital, so my wife took a quick drive over there an hour ago to check it out. Other than the loss of a few palm trees around the building, everything looks fine. And the best thing is that the building has electricity! So my wife will pack up our dog and our cat and move over there tomorrow morning. Definitely better than sitting in a dark, hot, house with a flashlight and a battery-operated radio for entertainment!

Hope all other C/D Floridians have made it through Irma as well.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ositosucio View Post
yep. talk about an obsolete and inadequate infrastructure. There are broken power poles everywhere....made out of wood. Really? How are these even used today in 2017 in miami?

So almost every FPL customer lost power and this was an indirect hit by a category 3 hurricane. Somebody sucks at their jobs.

I wont even ask why arent power lines underground in Miami. I know they are underground in Brickell. Why not everywhere? costs? bull****, it can be done. A lot of other cities have done it.

Let me guess, the money will be spent in another stadium.
I always thought that an old wooden pole in front of the super-modern Porsche tower in Sunny Isles looked very odd.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Told by FPL that our grid in North Miami is still out. The Duffys in NMB is up and running so its something with our underground lines they claim.

Mother in Law back in Pompano with power but no cable or internet. Friends in Coral Springs back and only their street has power, no word on cable yet. Many intersections without power.

Friend back in Midtown and everything is up and running.

Client back in Oakland Park east of 95 and his street has power but others do not. He has cable / internet as well. Said a lot of streets around him are a mess and not many lights working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami