Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 73,402 times

Advertisements

We are a cool couple 30 and 29 that owns are own marketing company. We travel to New York frequently (at least once a month) and currently reside in the neighborhood of Silver Lake in Los Angeles. We have children that are 7 and 5 and can afford private school. We've lived in Beverly Hills, San Francisco (6 yrs), and, Cincinnati, and New York previously and have visited Miami a few times, and now considering moving there. Is it completely ridiculous to have children and live in South Beach? Is Coral Gables at all fun if you enjoy style while having a family? We are looking for something stylish and aesthetically pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 PM

96 posts, read 365,042 times
My opinion is that South Beach is not a place for kids. The restaurants aren't family friendly. I remember going out to eat w/ my friend and her kid and there were no other kids there. She actually ended up moving from South Beach to Coral Gables. Plus there are tons of tourists = Lots of drunk / drugged out / lookin' for some action people. In addition, there are a lot of women there who are really into the way they look, commenting about being skinny enough, etc; not sure if that's the message I'd want to send.

Coral Gables is a better option. It's still stylish but more low-key and family-friendly. The style is more latin-vibe, wealthy, more taste. South Beach is super-trendy, more wild.

On the plus side, you guys can afford private school and to live in a nice area (check out Cocoplum). On the negative side, I will say that many people did/do not like actually living in Miami, including me. Check out other postings (esp. this one): //www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ome-miami.html

Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM

763 posts, read 3,521,816 times
I'd try Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami, or Downtown Miami (Brickell). All very stylish, upscale areas close to very good, prestigious private schools.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:52 PM

45 posts, read 151,562 times
I would not recommend South Beach if you have children. We ourselves just recently moved out of South Beach as my wife and I are expecting our first child.

There are many couples with children living in SoBe (mostly living in the expensive high-rise condos south of fifth or west of Alton, and some families living in the art deco condos around Flamingo park), so you would not be alone if you do decide to live there. But I agree with everything that Mariecug said, and those are the main reasons we decided to leave. We will live in North Beach for one year, and then reassess where to move for good.

If you really want to live in Miami-Dade, I would vote for all the locations that Kevinkagy recommended (except Brickell/Downtown Miami - I think it is too pedestrian unfriendly). I would put Coral Gables at the top of the list, though, as it has more of a sophisticated yet hip vibe that South Beach sorely lacks.

However, as much as I like living in South Florida for personal reasons, I'm not convinced it's the best place to raise children.

TP

Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM

551 posts, read 3,113,104 times
I think the other comments sum it up well. South Beach isn't really for children, but if you must, live in the South of Fifth (south of Fifth Street, that is) area. It's VERY trendy and exclusive. Otherwise, I'd recommend Coral Gables (dubbed "City Beautiful"--very aesthetically pleasing and still trendy). It's arguably the best area around Miami, although it's pricey. There are tons of upscale shops, restaurant, and night life. My third suggestion would probably be Brickell or the Brickell Key. It's mostly high-rise condos, so it has a much more "urban" feel. Mary Brickell Village opened not long ago and is one of Miami's best places to be and be seen, aside from Lincoln Road on South Beach.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:17 AM

17 posts, read 73,402 times
Default thanks for the advice

The welcome to Miami post seems like the welcome to LA post, but perhaps LA is even worse than LA? LA may actually have a little more culture, but let me know how jaded is that post? A lot of people describe LA in a similar fashion, yet there is much redeemable about the city if you're not tired of it and have a stylish/cool/rich setup, is it the same with Miami?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,679,757 times
The obvious answer is to check out mid-beach (about 2 miles north of South Beach) on Miami Beach. Lots of families - great place to grow up. And, we took our kids when they were small to South Beach all the time to eat out - so totally not an issue.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

22,186 posts, read 29,164,497 times
I would have to agree about the whole kid friendly on SOBE..If you have the money, I would definitely check out Pinecrest.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM

96 posts, read 365,042 times
Well, I would say that I would *never* have believed that post before I lived there. I had visited several times, I actually had friends already down there. But these posts are basically true in my opinion. Now, granted, I was not wealthy when I lived there and I lived on Miami Beach, not in Coral Gables, Pinecrest, etc. But my friends were pretty wealthy and they were also miserable and trying to get out.

My BIG piece of advice is pay close attention to the posts of people who have actually lived there, not someone from NYC who is sick of the cold and dreaming of moving to "paradise" (no offense New Yorkers - love ya! ).

Also check out these threads: //www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ers-forum.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...out-miami.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-much-why.html

I guess I would say 1) avoid moving to Miami and 2) if you are going to move there, go to Coral Gables, and bring money, patience and a "let it roll off your back" attitude.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 PM

22,186 posts, read 29,164,497 times
I actually in here in Miami (born and raised) and unless you have money and/or speak Spanish, it sucks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami