Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times

Advertisements

Miami is not likey an option. I would think somewhere like Dallas, DC, or NY/NJ are the more likely winners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Miami never was a feasible contender, and I do not think Miami should be dumping resources into trying to be some city that attracts these kinds of facilities. I do not know why Miami (and other cities) constantly always have to look at NYC or Silicon Valley as some sort of bar for them, and then try to emulate those areas.

Miami needs to concentrate on what it has now, and leverage itself in those areas. First thing it can do it fix the awful mass transit system it has. For a city this size, we have terrible traffic and a comical mass transit system. I can go on and on about issues Miami needs to fix just to address what industries Miami has now (so we do not lose them at the minimum, attract more as a goal), let alone trying to attract the HQ of a company like Amazon.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Miami never was a feasible contender, and I do not think Miami should be dumping resources into trying to be some city that attracts these kinds of facilities. I do not know why Miami (and other cities) constantly always have to look at NYC or Silicon Valley as some sort of bar for them, and then try to emulate those areas.

Miami needs to concentrate on what it has now, and leverage itself in those areas. First thing it can do it fix the awful mass transit system it has. For a city this size, we have terrible traffic and a comical mass transit system. I can go on and on about issues Miami needs to fix just to address what industries Miami has now (so we do not lose them at the minimum, attract more as a goal), let alone trying to attract the HQ of a company like Amazon.

Very well said.

Sadly mass transit doesn't even seem to be on people's minds. You never hear it mentioned down there. And going down there recently, traffic has gotten worse. I know Atlanta traffic is no walk in the park, but neither is Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It's almost just as bad.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Agree that Miami is a poor contender for a headquarters like this. I imagine almost anywhere else would be a better option... places like Atlanta, Dallas, and as others have mentioned New Jersey.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 69,831 times
As someone that works in the tech industry already Amazon coming here would be awesome, but it's highly unlikely. Based on everything I've read Amazon wants the city it chooses to meet a few requirements and Miami definitely fails at some those. Not to mention Miami/South FL as a whole isn't considered a great location for most tech companies since the heat humidity which are bad for any company with a substantial server farm onsite (even if the bulk of that can be elsewhere they'll still need a lot of servers locally) and hurricanes which can be disruptive to a 24/7 global business of their nature.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiger79 View Post
As someone that works in the tech industry already Amazon coming here would be awesome, but it's highly unlikely. Based on everything I've read Amazon wants the city it chooses to meet a few requirements and Miami definitely fails at some those. Not to mention Miami/South FL as a whole isn't considered a great location for most tech companies since the heat humidity which are bad for any company with a substantial server farm onsite (even if the bulk of that can be elsewhere they'll still need a lot of servers locally) and hurricanes which can be disruptive to a 24/7 global business of their nature.
Actually the dry air is worse, static electricity et al. But it's not like the servers would be sitting out in the element. The data centers are perfectly equipped to create just the right conditions.

And also there are many datacenters in South Florida.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
It's going to Atlanta... watch and see! I've been saying it from the start.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Everyone wants a piece of Amazon...some more embarrassingly than others:

"Tucson officials, with an airport one-tenth as busy as Seattle’s, mailed the company a 21-foot cactus to get its attention.

Stonecrest, Ga., with a total population barely larger than Amazon’s Seattle workforce, offered to de-annex 345 acres of its land and rename it “the City of Amazon.”

Kansas City Mayor Sly James purchased 1,000 items on Amazon.com and rated them all five stars. "

Old 10-24-2017, 02:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
Jeff Bezos (like most millionaires) is an honest man. A man of his intellect would not be Ok with underpaying his employees unlike the so called Miami "business men", who are pure scammers.

By the way, did you guys know the following ?

Bezos went to High School in Miami

His stepfather was born in Havana and came to the US at 15.
It's common knowledge that Bezos has ties to Miami. Even so, there's no way that the 2nd HQ would be put here. About 90% of the U.S. would have to disappear before Miami would be considered. Amazon probably already knows where they're going. This bidding just helped them get more out of the city that's most likely, already been picked.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:00 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's going to Atlanta... watch and see! I've been saying it from the start.
I agree. Amazon really has no other choice. Definitely not Florida. The majority of the US wouldn't work, for a number of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami