Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times

Advertisements

[quote=

Sort of like why Florida isn't a Blue state, because the panhandle is so red but doesn't represent most of what Florida wants/talks about. Should just be lower Alabama (LA as the locals call it) but that's another discussion in politics that I don't want to get into.

[/QUOTE]

Florida is actually a swing state. Obama carried it twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
son Median is used more often than average or mean is that median is resistant to outliers. That is, super high or super low incomes don't change the median that much. The median is a good metric for what most people are likely to make.

Where are you getting that Wynwood is dying? The rate of business closure in Wynwood is shockingly low, and it seems like every weekend there's a new gallery, boutique, bar, brewery, or restaurant opening up.

I'll clarify on this, I meant people-wise as a "hangout" place, it's dying. Mainly with locals but all my friends and people I've met go to Brickell now since Wynwood became too much of a tourist trap for them. I agree with them too, Wynwood a couple years ago was more packed at night compared to when I went this year (winter + summer) and at the same time Brickell became more active around MBV with the same demographic. Maybe we'll see back and forth trend with both neighbourhoods or if/when Allaphattah becomes "hip" they'll take the majority of clients from both areas, who knows.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
son Median is used more often than average or mean is that median is resistant to outliers. That is, super high or super low incomes don't change the median that much. The median is a good metric for what most people are likely to make.

Where are you getting that Wynwood is dying? The rate of business closure in Wynwood is shockingly low, and it seems like every weekend there's a new gallery, boutique, bar, brewery, or restaurant opening up.

I'll clarify on this, I meant people-wise as a "hangout" place, it's dying. Mainly with locals but all my friends and people I've met go to Brickell now since Wynwood became too much of a tourist trap for them. I agree with them too, Wynwood a couple years ago was more packed at night compared to when I went this year (winter + summer) and at the same time Brickell became more active around MBV with the same demographic. Maybe we'll see back and forth trend with both neighbourhoods or if/when Allaphattah becomes "hip" they'll take the majority of clients from both areas, who knows.
A wave of high end restaurants has arrived in Wynwood. It gentrified. The question is whether they'll survive long-term (my bet is half will be gone within a year of opening). We'll see what comes in to replace those failed businesses.

As a real estate agent, I always strongly urge new restauranteurs to reuse existing restaurant spaces rather than attempting a full build-out. It's about cost. (And I know many of the other real estate agents here feel the same way). Instead of spending $2 million, spend $200K, remodel and repurpose. You can build from scrath when you're building your second and third location. Use the other $1.8 million for operating and marketing expenses. And yes, I'm thinking of specific numbers regarding a specific space in Doral. Miami has gotten a huge wave of higher end restaurants catering to the rich and tourists. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with building a high volume but lower price point restaurant. I think Wynwood would seriously benefit from a really good burger operation and even a passable barbecue spot.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
^ Wynwood would benefit more from a vegan restaurant over a burger joint (it's a hipster neighbourhood remember ) but yes, just look at trends in literally every hip hood and half the restaurants close after 6 months. Miami, unfortunately, isn't diversified when it comes to socio-demographics, everything has to be high end/luxury. It's a city where you go to make profit quickly and that's it, unfortunately.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 AM

36 posts, read 40,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
How do you know NY'ers don't want another concrete jungle?-- city life is what separates NY'ers (talking NYC--not Schenectady, Elmira, and Islip). Brickell is a tame concrete jungle compared to Manhattan and Brooklyn, yet within a 15-20 minute drive to the beach.....and what percent of people in Miami Beach are ex-NY'ers?. Miami Beach also has a bunch of Europeans, Russians and its share of Latinos not to mention other groups/transplants.....I have run into many more NY'ers in Boca, Boynton Beach, Palm Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter than I have in Miami Beach (from South Beach up to Bal Harbour) even though I have spent more time in Miami and Miami Beach and have so for the past 5 years which included a 2 month stint in SoFi in 2014 and dinner/lunch/drinks at least once a week in the beach area as I eat out every single meal. Not stating Palm Beach County is better than Miami/Miami Beach, just my firsthand experience and as an ex-NY'er.....and I prefer meeting more professional types--be they from NY, Shanghai, Sao Paulo or wherever--rather than retirees or bartenders--hence, a financial district (i.e. Brickell) works for this professional ex NY'er and why I renewed my lease.
As a NY transplant that lives on the beach i can tell you its full of ex-NY'ers. The biggest difference between Miami beach and brickell is diversity. Ny'ers wanted a slower pace of life while still enjoying the diversity that NY has. Brickell is a heavily latin area its only diverse in spanish speaking populations. Miami Beach has residents and visitors from all over the globe. Thats why for most transplants Miami Beach >> Brickell.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I never denied the existence of ex NY'ers in Miami/Miami Beach, nor did I ask where I could find more--just stated that I have run into more of them in Palm Beach County...and while still working being around more professionals, regardless of where they are from, has more appeal to me than chilling at the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldh View Post
As a NY transplant that lives on the beach i can tell you its full of ex-NY'ers. The biggest difference between Miami beach and brickell is diversity. Ny'ers wanted a slower pace of life while still enjoying the diversity that NY has. Brickell is a heavily latin area its only diverse in spanish speaking populations. Miami Beach has residents and visitors from all over the globe. Thats why for most transplants Miami Beach >> Brickell.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-14-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Has anyone else moved to Miami (I am in Miami Beach) and think they were moving somewhere they would love only to end up hating it after 1 year and cant wait to pack up and go? I moved here at the early beginning of this year and thought I would love it. I came here for vacations before moving here and always loved the ocean and the beautiful views around town. After moving here I found out that this place is all hype. I understand everyone is different but for me its the pits. I pay enormous rent (yes I do live in a furnished apt with an ocean view in a high rise), going out is impossible because everything costs so much money and to top it all of you must know at least some Spanish to make it here (I have learned just enough to get by). North Beach where I live in overrun by homeless people and it is disgusting to even go to the beach anymore so much crap on the street and trash laying around. I know I am not alone as I have spoken to several other people who ask me.. "why in the world did you move here?". I truly am disappointed by the life here as it is totally not what I expected one bit. Word to the wise.... moving here and being here for vacation are VERY DIFFERENT.Finding friends here in impossible unless of course you have money and can hit the club to find them (not my cup of tea anyway). I know I will take some heat for this post as most people will probably ask "didn't you know what you were moving into before you moved?" but honestly I didn't. December cannot get here fast enough. Oh and dont get me started on the high car insurance premium mine went up to 3 x's what it was where I moved from.
With your numerous posts, I can only imagine that you must have asked questions about living in Miami before taking that plunge and actually doing it. If you didn't ask those questions, I'm sure you had to read others who have written past posts about the horrors of living in Miami, didn't you?

Every single issue you have with living in Miami has been talked about on this forum time and time again in length. You are now just one more person who can post about how terrible it is in Miami for others either to see and learn, or to see and think it will not happen to them. Then, as you will do, you will leave, and one more fool can have their dream and take your place.

Learn from your mistakes little grasshopper.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
How do you know NY'ers don't want another concrete jungle?-- city life is what separates NY'ers (talking NYC--not Schenectady, Elmira, and Islip). Brickell is a tame concrete jungle compared to Manhattan and Brooklyn, yet within a 15-20 minute drive to the beach
Because that's what ALL my New York/New Jersey clients tell me when they move here. I'm not just using an 'eye' test.

And yes, there is an abundance of New Yorkers in Palm Beach County, no one is disputing that and I even mentioned various towns that have more New Yorkers than others.

We're talking about Miami Beach / Brickell though...

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
A wave of high end restaurants has arrived in Wynwood. It gentrified. The question is whether they'll survive long-term (my bet is half will be gone within a year of opening). We'll see what comes in to replace those failed businesses.

As a real estate agent, I always strongly urge new restauranteurs to reuse existing restaurant spaces rather than attempting a full build-out. It's about cost. (And I know many of the other real estate agents here feel the same way). Instead of spending $2 million, spend $200K, remodel and repurpose. You can build from scrath when you're building your second and third location. Use the other $1.8 million for operating and marketing expenses. And yes, I'm thinking of specific numbers regarding a specific space in Doral. Miami has gotten a huge wave of higher end restaurants catering to the rich and tourists. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with building a high volume but lower price point restaurant. I think Wynwood would seriously benefit from a really good burger operation and even a passable barbecue spot.

Anyway, just my two cents...
I agree with everything you've written

I don't know why people continue to dump their life savings into another restaurant in Miami. They don't budget for 1 year of expenses, they don't budget for a proper build out, they don't have ANYONE lined up to run the place, they don't know HOW to hire people or where to bring people in from (Hint: Its not Miami!), etc.

Buy your stuff from a restaurant that closed, lease a space that a restaurant went out of business from, if you are a chef bring in a good restaurant GM from another city who has high standards, get a solid HR policy in place, etc etc.

I saw the gastropub for sale on 79th street near the causeway for under $180k! They wanted $350k just 6 months ago. its already fully built out, operating, has a good following, a dirt cheap lease..what more could you want? People who want to run a restaurant/bar should be jumping on that instead of leasing a vanilla shell in Wywnood for $10k/month and spending $500k+ building it out!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Because that's what ALL my New York/New Jersey clients tell me when they move here. I'm not just using an 'eye' test.

And yes, there is an abundance of New Yorkers in Palm Beach County, no one is disputing that and I even mentioned various towns that have more New Yorkers than others.

We're talking about Miami Beach / Brickell though...
Brickwell look like tropical Manhattan when driving from airport on highway toward Miami Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami