Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Check this out

link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
I think it could work if people were persistent enough to push the issue and taxpayers were willing to accept an increase for this service, but neither of those things would likely happen in Miami. I recently had to go to 10 neighborhood meetings for my job and in each neighborhood, many people were adamant that they didn't want public transportation in their neighborhood, nor would they ever consider using it. I just can't follow this logic since traffic is so terrible in Miami. A great Metrorail system (like DC, Chicago, or San Francisco) would do wonders for Miami, but people just won't support it. They'd rather drive their gas guzzling H3 Hummer through hours of traffic each day for some reason...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I would love to see them building something like that in that obnoxiously large median on I-75 and build something parallel to the Palmetto/Dolphin. Like an Express bus from the commuter hotspot exits like Griffin Rd and Pines Blvd so it could actually move faster than the Palmetto (it said the avg. speed was 25 mph maximum, which is about the same as doing 15 on the Palmetto and 75-80 on 75 every morning). But yeah, what illini was saying...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
I think it could work if people were persistent enough to push the issue and taxpayers were willing to accept an increase for this service, but neither of those things would likely happen in Miami. I recently had to go to 10 neighborhood meetings for my job and in each neighborhood, many people were adamant that they didn't want public transportation in their neighborhood, nor would they ever consider using it. I just can't follow this logic since traffic is so terrible in Miami. A great Metrorail system (like DC, Chicago, or San Francisco) would do wonders for Miami, but people just won't support it. They'd rather drive their gas guzzling H3 Hummer through hours of traffic each day for some reason...
as gas prices continue to climb, we will see how long that will last.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
It is easy to understand why people don't want buses going into their residential neighborhoods. They don't want smelly, loud buses hogging up the streets. When you get stuck behind one of those on a one lane residential road there is no way to pass it if there is traffic coming in the other direction. Also, many people believe that mass transit allow for an increase in crime by making their neighborhood accessible to criminal elements.
Buses shouldn't go into residential neighborhoods. At most then should connect shopping areas and business areas. Also, they should not be subsidized in any way by tax dollars. If they can be run efficiently enough then people will use them. Gas tax money should be spent on projects that will benefit all of the people paying the tax, such as more roads. The traffic has doubled since 1980 but the number of major roads remains unchanged. Back in the 1980's I don't ever remember anyone complaining about traffic. Now it is the number one complaint.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
It is easy to understand why people don't want buses going into their residential neighborhoods. They don't want smelly, loud buses hogging up the streets. When you get stuck behind one of those on a one lane residential road there is no way to pass it if there is traffic coming in the other direction. Also, many people believe that mass transit allow for an increase in crime by making their neighborhood accessible to criminal elements.
Buses shouldn't go into residential neighborhoods. At most then should connect shopping areas and business areas. Also, they should not be subsidized in any way by tax dollars. If they can be run efficiently enough then people will use them. Gas tax money should be spent on projects that will benefit all of the people paying the tax, such as more roads. The traffic has doubled since 1980 but the number of major roads remains unchanged. Back in the 1980's I don't ever remember anyone complaining about traffic. Now it is the number one complaint.
then roads shouldn't be subsidized either!

Also did you look at that video I posted? These things are "green" and more efficient than a smelly four passenger car could ever be and more efficient too. Also they have their own lanes.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I would love this, but because of our weather, I think I probably wouldn't use it enough. I will not wait or bike to a bus station from May through November, its just too hot/humid/rainy. The last few months have been almost as warm as summer, so I probably wouldn't of used it. I would use it on days that it was sunny and cool, but we haven't had many of those days. For many people the weather will probably be the biggest draw back.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM

doggie,

they would definitely have to make A/C bus stations. maybe have parking garages at ever bus terminal so you can just park and catch the bus?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
then roads shouldn't be subsidized either!
How are roads subsidized? They are paid for with taxes on gasoline. Presumably if you are using gasoline then you are using roads.

Quote:
Also did you look at that video I posted? These things are "green" and more efficient than a smelly four passenger car could ever be and more efficient too.
No, I didn't look at the video because it's blocked from work but I read the article.

Quote:
Also they have their own lanes.
Translation: that's one lane that the rest of us can't use so it will make traffic worse.

Sorry but mass transit and Miami don't mix and no matter how people try and force that square peg into that round hole it will never work. The geography and demographics make it impossible.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The geography and demographics make it impossible.
Did you watch that video? What do the demographics and geography have to do with it? The video was in Bogota and their geography is a lot more challenging than flat, comparatively less crowded Miami. Yeah, I mean demographics would come into play if it was Naples (FL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: