Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:02 PM

68 posts, read 121,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not all of us have a choice, honey lol. I was stuck in Miami til age 20 then moved out west to Texas for a while. Enjoyed the rare snow and ice there, summers were killer, now I live in Minnesota and my only complain is that its late December and theres not enough snow! Would never move back to Miami or the south in general. Sometimes I miss the beach in the summer time or Publix but one look at the weather from September through April and nope.

I like my autumn leaves, my winter snows, my spring tulips and my mild lakeside summers. Growing up in hot hot Miami was not my choice. My kids are growing up in the Midwest with apple pickings and corn mazes and white Christmas. The stuff I only experienced in movies!
And when they grow up they'll probably move south and say that growing up in cold cold MN was not their choice! (Life's ironic like that!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 11:13 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
If you want a change from hot winters, come up here to Erie

It's been in the single digits temperature-wise and we had 5 feet of snow within a few days.

It's still snowing

You won't be bored since we generally get 10 feet of snow a year and it does get cold here for winters...it definitely will not be in the 80's for winter here, lol.

You'll be lucky to see 80 here in August.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Better question...where is dry season at??

Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Better question...where is dry season at??
If I remember correctly, you relocated from San Diego, correct? Just curious as to how you are enjoying Miami?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
yes, correct....I have addressed this in a Miami v San Diego thread that's also on this forum--but after celebrating my one year anniversary last month, Miami is demonstrably better and to my liking in many ways--at least so far (the real test comes in 2 or 3 more years to see if I still feel that way when the novelty has worn off)....start with page 8 of this thread and beyond for most current input from myself and others:

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...n-diego-8.html

Better restaurants, better nightlife, where I am living in Brickell many more professional and professional looking people (dress professional, much less of the West Coast hipster tattoo/wallet chain/backwards baseball cap/nose rings, ungroomed 9 month beards, flip flops everywhere, dress codes enforced at nice establishments, etc etc. crowd), weather is an asset (and, yes, summers are tolerable bordering on enjoyable...heat/humidity and mosquito concern overblown and not a factor as far as I am concerned), much better looking women, great beach/ocean (I don't surf--prefer sunbathing and body surfing without needing a wetsuit), and much shorter and direct/nonstop trips to NYC (twice) and Medellin (twice) last year (Spain this year). More bang for the buck real estate wise (renting or owning and Brickell is much more newer/modern looking than SD with much better infrastructure and far less homeless.....people more direct and far less easily offended or phony politically correct. No state income tax was a real asset--they get some of that back in other ways, but far more money in my pocket, not the State's.

Miami much closer to a LA lifestyle (interesting and different neighborhoods, diverse, very international, cosmopolitan city, faster paced and more traffic than San Diego)....not everything is positive--does have some drawbacks and its own set of issues, but so far it is good for me to be back on the East Coast with an actual warm weather city (SD is 97% suburban with 3% urban and their urban is more like Garden City, Long Island or Cerritos--not a NYC or SF)....only thing I really miss from SD are my 5-6 solid friends (whom I text on a daily or weekly basis) and the better gyms. Only thing that annoys me here is the fact I am a foreigner in my own country , though the flip side of that is I have my privacy and I can easily solve that if I decide to move up to suburban (and boring) Palm Beach county (will reserve that for my 80's when I'm ready to pick a cemetery plot or assisted living facility).

Keep in mind my perspective is that of an ex NY'er...Californians see things completely opposite of mine --I'm used to the home team dugout being on the first base side (not 3rd base side like CA); put ketchup on hamburgers (not mustard like CA); use the left lane of the highway as the speeding lane (not right lane as in CA); and wear ski caps in cold weather (not as a status symbol during summer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If I remember correctly, you relocated from San Diego, correct? Just curious as to how you are enjoying Miami?

Last edited by elchevere; 01-09-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami