Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM

419 posts, read 998,148 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to sound like I'm asking for it and to flame, but I really want to know this!

Everybody knows this, but I wonder why no effort to improve the city? Why can't dade county be nice on the mainland and has to be a low income wasteland?

Is it because the immigrants ? Is it because failure to post jobs for middle income families? What is holding cities within Dade county from improving?

Miami does have plenty of nice areas, but they are all along the coast,Coral Gables+Pinecrest for being more upscale cities inland was nice but I was not overly impressed with it.

The neighborhoods don't seem as manicured and taken care of, palm trees look depressed, and the people just dont seem to care or have any pride in their city.

What is the deal and what can Miami and dade county do to improve the city as a whole?

Is Miami only good on a superficial scale? (nice downtown/beach/shopping/weather), and core wise it has no core?

It's like a girl looking pretty with lots of make up but having nothing in the inside.

Miami seems like a great city from the surface (nice beach, no skyline, nice shopping and food) but when you look at it as a whole it's missing a lot!

I'm just curious as to why Miami has to be like this when it has so much potential to be great.

Last edited by Surfside__; 07-03-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
because there are a lot of poor people? I'm not sure to be honest but I have a feeling this thread will close.

Most immigrants I know including myself and my family are not "ghetto" and have never been "ghetto".

Ghettos are where the Germans kept the Jews before deciding to exterminate them.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I left in the eighties. Miami was manicured back then.

Perhaps because a lot of the housing stock is older now, it takes money to keep up or replace elements that are wearing out. Maybe you are seeing a difference in neighborhoods depending on whether the residents have the funds to do so.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Can't we say the same about Chicago, LA, plenty of D.C. isn't so great, Detroit, New Orleans, Saint Louis. There are nice areas and there are bad areas. I also think you are mixing in the bad areas with middle class places like Miami Springs and Kendall.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Can't we say the same about Chicago, LA, plenty of D.C. isn't so great, Detroit, New Orleans, Saint Louis. There are nice areas and there are bad areas. I also think you are mixing in the bad areas with middle class places like Miami Springs and Kendall.
With the exception of some middle class places like Kendall / Miami Springs the majority of dade county is a dump though is my point, and why does it have to be like this? I know every city has it's problem, and I know Miami is a fairly new city, but still their is no reason for the crime, ghetto, and lack of improvement for the county, when it has so much more potential to be better than that it is simply unacceptable. You are right every city does in fact have it's bad traits as well, but I would say the bad areas far outweigh anything else MIA has as far as middle/upper class areas go. Miami is limited is extremely limited to the coast which is no good at all, like I said with the exception of some places inland such as kendall miami springs/pinecrest coral gables, everywhere else that is nice in dade county besides those that I just mentioned are along the coast! Is that really the best they can do? Why is poverty such an issue? Is it the illegals? Is it the lack of jobs? What is stopping dade county from creating jobs like any other suburb in America does? What is wrong that they cannot gentrify the ghetto's into nice friendly suburbs? Why does it have to be this way? It's going to get worse if nobody does anything

Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM

What will it take for the rest of dade county to look like coral gables/weston(broward)/pinecrest/aventura/bal harbour?

What would it take to turn it around and make a better place? Is prosperity bad for a city? i don't think so.

I believe if Miami took control with it's government and took the necessary I'm sure their would be a way .

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Every city is going to have its low income areas. Miami is more dense and smaller land wise than most cities. Many of the most dense areas are also high income areas. Miami does not have the sprawl others citie shave that allow their suburbs to get away from the city. This map is a bit outdated and has a bit too much red like most of Hialeah. The yellow areas are not dangerous and ghetto. I know what area you are focusing on. Miami Gardens, Opa Locka, Miami west o 95 etc.. These are not good areas and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future. Remember Miami is very small land wise. These are the low income areas. Every city has them. Does Miami have more than average yes. Is it a proble? Yes. But I think you think these areas are bigger than they are.

What can be done to fix it is better public schools and public transportation. More jobs of course and some other state and national political issues which I won't get into in this thread. I know what you are talking about Miami does sometimes feel,like it has so many large low income areas but when you really think about it compared to density and land size it's not that bad. Also Broward has a bit less and Browad has those traditional American suburbs you are talking about which can get boring but I also see the advantages of them.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...t=h&z=11#bmb=1

Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I'm going to leave it open for now, but if it takes a dive it will be closed.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks for understanding doggiebus. I'm not trying to argue or fight with anybody, all I am trying to figure out is why does it have to be this way?

What are ways to improve county as a whole and make a more prosperous place? That's all I want to know, because I know it has a lot of potential!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
It's not just dade, it's pretty much the whole state. Florida is just laid back like that.
Plant trees? Nah. Why bother.
Mow the lawn? I'll do it next week.

Since nobody really gives a crap, people don't think twice about living in a concrete bunker with bars on the window because that's what everyone else does. They just accept that as being normal and acceptable. Builders certainly don't care. They're going to sell the place no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami