Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

Although I would love to move to Maui, there's just no job out there for me (I'm a software engineer) -- no thanks to living in Oahu. Working remotely would not be an option for me. So that leaves me with the only other option: Florida.

So I live in LA and although the weather, scenery and food are great, I'm getting sick and tired of the politics here. This is literally the worst run state in the country.

1. We pay stupid taxes and our roads are AWFUL.

2. It's dirty everywhere with the exception of very small pockets here and there, e.g. Beverly Hills, Western West Hollywood (where I live), Santa Monica, etc.

3. This: California Lawmakers Propose $1 Billion Annual Health Coverage For Undocumented Immigrants (https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...464203183.html) lol?

4. Although the smog has improved over the years, I need fresh air and RAIN.

5. I'm actually Brazilian and I hear there's a large Brazilian population in FL so that would be nice (I'm a US citizen, though).

6. You can't swim in the beaches here. It's just too cold.

7. Although Mexican food can be good, I'd prefer the food scene in Miami... Central/South American food (excluding Mexico of course).

8. Overall cost of living. I live in a 750 sq ft condo valued at close to 600k. My building is old. I'm pretty sure with 600k I'd be able to get some real nice in FL.

The list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I moved for some / many of the same reasons you cited (but from San Diego) last year.

Your lifestyle will probably improve at slightly less cost (savings on income tax can be offset to some extent by higher property taxes, higher insurance, more parking fees/tolls, etc) though you do get more bang for your buck with real estate.

Personally, I prefer the weather here and spot on about ocean temps. I would not move here without a job or job offer in hand. Miami is not the Garden of Eden and has its own sets of problems but infrastructure/roads, "newness" / architecture in some desirable neighborhoods, international vibrancy, people here are direct instead of PC all the time as in FauxCal, good food and nightlife, etc. are all pluses. Also, far less homeless and hipsters--more clean cut. You are not crazy, you are wise.

Do some research on Brickell--plenty of fellow Brazilians there...but, again, only move here if you are bringing your job with you (as I did) or have one already lined up. The local software engineer market is not as plentiful or as high paying, in general, as in LA.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-17-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 08:18 PM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Although I would love to move to Maui, there's just no job out there for me (I'm a software engineer) -- no thanks to living in Oahu. Working remotely would not be an option for me. So that leaves me with the only other option: Florida.

So I live in LA and although the weather, scenery and food are great, I'm getting sick and tired of the politics here. This is literally the worst run state in the country.

1. We pay stupid taxes and our roads are AWFUL.

2. It's dirty everywhere with the exception of very small pockets here and there, e.g. Beverly Hills, Western West Hollywood (where I live), Santa Monica, etc.

3. This: California Lawmakers Propose $1 Billion Annual Health Coverage For Undocumented Immigrants (https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...464203183.html) lol?

4. Although the smog has improved over the years, I need fresh air and RAIN.

5. I'm actually Brazilian and I hear there's a large Brazilian population in FL so that would be nice (I'm a US citizen, though).

6. You can't swim in the beaches here. It's just too cold.

7. Although Mexican food can be good, I'd prefer the food scene in Miami... Central/South American food (excluding Mexico of course).

8. Overall cost of living. I live in a 750 sq ft condo valued at close to 600k. My building is old. I'm pretty sure with 600k I'd be able to get some real nice in FL.

The list goes on.
600K will get you a nice new condo in Miami.. probably even one with a water view.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:12 PM

102 posts, read 113,549 times

Yes, our paranoid suspicions about the hideous horrible awfulness of South Florida traffic have now been scientifically confirmed. The Dutch navigation and mapping company TomTom, in its annual report compiled from 14 trillion GPS reports, declared Miami the seventh-most congested city in the United States. >>> http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e67616167.html

And the US has ALOT of cities !

Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
South Florida is quite liberal, but the state is moderate, so you won’t face the same craziness as in California these days. I think you’d be happy with the move as long as you have job lined up.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:05 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen1981 View Post

Yes, our paranoid suspicions about the hideous horrible awfulness of South Florida traffic have now been scientifically confirmed. The Dutch navigation and mapping company TomTom, in its annual report compiled from 14 trillion GPS reports, declared Miami the seventh-most congested city in the United States. >>> Miami traffic is awful

One doesn't have to live in Miami proper.

There is Broward.

And soon you will be able to ride the Brightline train from downtown Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami, 30 min. And you can find a very nice condo to live in Fort Lauderdale, within a walking distance to the Brightline station.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:46 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:

Yes, our paranoid suspicions about the hideous horrible awfulness of South Florida traffic have now been scientifically confirmed. The Dutch navigation and mapping company TomTom, in its annual report compiled from 14 trillion GPS reports, declared Miami the seventh-most congested city in the United States. >>> Miami traffic is awful

Nice try, but compared to many major cities around the world Miami traffic is still relatively sparse - as clearly evidenced by the pictures you yourself show, mere child's play, especially for those who know what they are doing and ignore statisticians like the agenda-motivated folks at so-called TomTom.

To the OP, I would try to talk you out of moving to Miami if you don't have a substantial amount of wealth already accumulated - at least enough to put 50% down on a condo, better if all cash -, and/or a career-oriented job that pays near or above six figures or, much better, your own business that generates the same.

By the way, California is not the worst run state in the country in terms of fiscal management, worse are Illinois, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and one or two others, while Florida is among the best, at least so far (they will screw it up eventually as more north-easterners and Californians move here).

Last edited by bale002; 12-18-2017 at 04:59 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,731 times
Honestly, with a $600K housing budget and a decent paying job lined up, you can live like a king (or queen) here. You live in LA, so no matter how much we complain about traffic here, there's no way it's worse than what you're currently experiencing.

We have a very large Brazilian community here (my GF is Brazilian), great food, great nightlife, good weather and beaches. Sorry can't talk you out of it unless you can't deal with Hurricanes, we do get those every once in a while, but if you live in a modern or updated building you have nothing to worry about.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:

ROFL. Are you seriously trying to dissuade someone who lives in L.A. from moving to Miami because of our traffic? And attempting to frighten him by linking to a study that shows Miami has the 7th worst traffic in the country? Ooooohhhhh! Scary!

By the way, did you bother to look at the study itself? Guess who is #1? That's right, it's L.A.!

LOL

Old 12-18-2017, 02:29 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
...yeah, good catch and point.....when Miami faces the potential risk of bumper to bumper traffic on the 95 at 2AM, which happens in LA (2AM) then we're doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
ROFL. Are you seriously trying to dissuade someone who lives in L.A. from moving to Miami because of our traffic? And attempting to frighten him by linking to a study that shows Miami has the 7th worst traffic in the country? Ooooohhhhh! Scary!

By the way, did you bother to look at the study itself? Guess who is #1? That's right, it's L.A.!

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami